Black Library is looking to recruit a new commissioning editor

A previous commissioning editor left c6 months ago and removed all trace of having worked there from his online presence. No idea why or if there is drama.

I'm sure the job has gotten a lot harder in the last year or so with the rise of AI. 

You can send in a video in lieu of a cover letter. I've never seen that before but I work in an old fashioned field. One of the ladies who works with me used to be a commissioning editor in a previous life so I can chat with her if anyone here needs a steer. 

I wonder what the salary is? 

5 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

33 Days off a year damn, not going to lie a little jealous of this. If you add in bank holidays that a solid ammount of days off a year. 

It includes Bank Holidays.

25 days + 8BH, iirc.

I'm tempted to apply. I interviewed for the same job six years ago but sadly didn't get it. Spoke to Nick Kyme a few months later at the BL weekender and apparently it was between me and the guy who got it. 

If my life wasn't more settled I'd apply in heartbeat and hopefully drag BL kicking and screaming into a new golden age!

2 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

I'm tempted to apply. I interviewed for the same job six years ago but sadly didn't get it. Spoke to Nick Kyme a few months later at the BL weekender and apparently it was between me and the guy who got it. 

If my life wasn't more settled I'd apply in heartbeat and hopefully drag BL kicking and screaming into a new golden age!

Can you share what the salary offer was back then, or if you don't feel comfortable posting could you DM it?

Posted (edited)

Fingers crossed you get it. You have 6 more years extra experience under your belt now so you're a better candidate than you were before. 

Remote working is a bigger thing now than it was 6 years ago, so maybe you wont have to uproot yourself? No harm in applying and if you have to you can always say no if you get it.

Edited by grailkeeper

Interestingly they advertised the exact same post 2 months ago. The post has the deadline as being this month.Long deadline. According to linkedin there are 18 candidates, there were 14 when I posted this here.  No idea how close or far from reality that is.

11 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

Mate, do it, you miss every shot you don't take! Plus if you do get the job you can commission Dorns return! Everyone wins! Mostly me.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

Fingers crossed you get it. You have 6 more years extra experience under your belt now so you're a better candidate than you were before. 

Remote working is a bigger thing now than it was 6 years ago, so maybe you wont have to uproot yourself? No harm in applying and if you have to you can always say no if you get it.

We'll have to see. I've got six more years experience in publishing across a few companies and roles, but haven't done any editorial roles since then. But then last time I was still a masters student so it was probably my passion for warhammer that carried me as far as I got. Remote isn't much of an option I think at GW based on an interview for BL product scheduler I had in 2021, but who knows maybe I'll impress them enough to try having an Editor at Large? I know I'd be more than happy to have work trips down to Nottingham and Warhammer World very regularly! But if not, relocating is a discussion to have with the fiance, and since our relationship is the reason I'm okay not getting the job back then, and I'm reluctant to risk straining it at all.

@Ubiquitous1984 when I interviewed six years ago there was no salary stated by them during the interview, they instead asked my expectations (which is an interview tactic I detest). From what I gathered though, Comissioning editor at BL is a bit lower down than the same job title at most publishers, which is usually quite senior. I suspect its more akin to a Managing Editor in a lot of publishers, where you're in charge of a certain group of authors and/or serise. 

Either way I think I will apply and see what happens. At the end of the day it's potentially good interview experience and an excuse to visit warhammer world and enjoy a few pints of Bugman's finest!

@Chapter Master Valrak: I suspect BL has little say on Primarchs returning. But you can bet that If I had the job and Dorn was coming, I would fight tooth and nail to work on the book and ensure It gets the yellowest limited edition possible!

Edited by Casual Heresy

@Chapter Master Valrak: I I would fight tooth and nail to work on the book and ensure It gets the yellowest limited edition possible!

Best of luck with it!

I'm currently writing a non fiction book on habeas corpus and got to pick my cover colour the other day. I went for orange as its eye catching and a bit like a life jacket. Here were  some of the coulours I got to pick from. the Yellow here isnt very yellow. GW obviously works differently so maybe tell the artist to have Imperial fists shooting bad suns with flamers in a desert. At noon. Hard to get much yellower than that.No alternative text description for this image

8 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

@Chapter Master Valrak: I suspect BL has little say on Primarchs returning. But you can bet that If I had the job and Dorn was coming, I would fight tooth and nail to work on the book and ensure It gets the yellowest limited edition possible!

This reminds me that we still haven't gotten Horus' Primach novel

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2024 at 1:40 AM, grailkeeper said:

The job application is now closed. According to LinkedIn there were 37 applicants but that's probably not an accurate guide.

It never is. But I'm still not paying for Premium