1000pt Agents of the Imperium List (It's surprisingly both good and fun)

So, I put this list together for some fun casual games and while they were far from a competitive match, it surprised me how well it worked. Taking out a Tyranid monster list 88-81 and a Tau Farsight led Mont'Ka army 100-48. 

Inquisitor Karamazov: 130pts
Callidus Assassin: 100pts
Culexus Assassin: 85pts
Eversor Assasin: 75pts
Vindicare Assasin: 80pts

Inquisitor: 55pts (Leading)
Inquisitorial Henchmen x16: 160pts 

Rouge Trader Entourage: 105pts (Leading)
Imperial Navy Breachers with Melta Gun: 105pts

Imperial Nave Breachers with Plasma Gun: 105pts

Total Points: 1000

I expected the army to feel rather basic given that is has no army rule, detachment rule, or unique stratagems, but it actually turned out to be not the case as each individual unit has so many rules / strat interatcions with the basic ones. For example:

- Breachers get a extra dice on Grenade Strat and have the Smoke Keyword. 
- Eversors can Overatch or Intervene for free. 
- The Inquisitor has a powerful psychic torrent weapon and regens CP on a 3+ when his unit is targeted with a strat.
- The Henchmen have Grenades too so you've got a good chance to refund that if used there. 

All and all, you can throw out a lot of the generic strats at regular intervals, so much that I'm building another version if this list that doubles down on the Henchmen becasue holy crap were they the MVPs of this. When all their overlapping buffs happen, the unit is very hard to shift. 

Baseline, it doesn't seem like much 10 points for a T3 2W Sv 5+ model seems pretty fragile, until that unit is always -1 to be wounded and has a 5+ Invul and a 5+FNP against mortals. It also has TWO models in the unit with a 12" no deep strike aura and with a unit that big, they can be quire spread out. Lastly, all their ranged weapons are +1 to wound, so they can punch up pretty well even with the basic pistols, not to mention the myriad special weapons they get. You've even got some decent hard hitting firepower in 2 Multi-Meltas and the Daemonhost's Gaze, all at S:9 (with +1 to wound). 

As for the other units, Karamazov is very much the distraction Carnifex of the army. He is reasonably tanky and needs to be dealt with, but his ponderous 5" movement means he has to be positioned just right to have a real impact. 

For the Assassins, everyone know the Callidus is great. The Culexus is a monster against pychic armies and can easily turn the tide, otherwise, it's an expensive action monkey, but still gets the job done. The Eversor can pump out some bonkers damage, being incredibly swingy with his Sustained Hits 3. He was MVP in the Tyranids game, soloing a Carnifex with an astoundingly good role, but failing a charge in game 2 due to some poor positioning on my part let him get picked off early. When utilized well, I think he's a great tool in the army. And the poor Vindicare, 80 points to sit on the backfield and do actions because for whatever reason this edition, I can only ever roll 1's with his Sniper Rilfle. Seriously, in the 3 games this edition I've used him, I've fire that rifle 13 times and rolled 12 1's (counting 2 CP re-rolls) The only thing he actually killed was a ripper base with his pistol in the Tyranid game. 

Lastly, the Breachers are an interesting unit. Objectively, I think one blob of them and 2 Navy MSU Voidsmen units would be better, but I only have one of those at the moment. Still, when led by the Rouge Trader Entourage, they get pretty chunky, gaining Infiltrators, a 5+ FNP, and crucially some decent melee attacks to fight on objectives since their whole thing is re-roll wounds of objectives. The grenade belt is a great tool to have too for softening up a unit before charging in to finish them off. I think the unit n it's own though really needs a fall back and shoot strat to be a reasonable threat on the table, the one without the Rouge Traders leading it never managed to do much. 

All and all, with the codex still a little ways away, this army that doesn't really seem like an army on paper is actually a lot of fun to play. If you're thinking about getting into Agents when the new codex comes out, you can certainly still have some fun games playing them now.

Hmm. This has inspired me to make a full 2k points list full of Inquisition weirdos- I've had a terrible run of luck lately with my competitive games so I might as well bring a super fluffy list that is unusual to play against. 

One note- the Henchmen squad can only have one multi-melta. Only one gun servitor can upgrade to a multi-melta, the other has to keep the heavy bolter. 

I was surprised when I ran an inquisitor and small retinue with my GKs and how much damaged they soaked up. I need to eventually get around to working on my Inquisitorial force again 

20 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Hmm. This has inspired me to make a full 2k points list full of Inquisition weirdos- I've had a terrible run of luck lately with my competitive games so I might as well bring a super fluffy list that is unusual to play against. 

One note- the Henchmen squad can only have one multi-melta. Only one gun servitor can upgrade to a multi-melta, the other has to keep the heavy bolter. 

I was actually planning on how I was going to do my own 2k list and what I was thinking of was this: 

Inquisitor Eisenhorn: 65pts (Doubles your Daemonhost attacks plus good debuff to enemy units.) 
Inquisitor Draxis: 85pts (+1 to hit for the whole henchmen unit is big even if she's rather expensive.)
Henchmen x16: 160pts
Henchmen x16: 160pts
Knight Castellan (Freeblade): 525pts (To help with Vehicles and Heavy Infantry)
I was also going to take out one of the Breacher squads for 2 5 man Voidsmen at Arms to be action monkeys. 

That puts me at 1990. So, I could swap Eisencorn for Coteaz, at +10pts but I'm not sure he's better. 

Posted (edited)

Similar to what I came up with, based on what I have available/can get in a month or so: 

1985 points

Inquisitor Eisenhorn - Warlord - Attached to Henchmen 1
Inquisitor 1 - Psychic gifts/shockwave, force weapon, combi-weapon - Attached to Henchmen 2
Inquisitor 2 - Psychic gifts/shockwave, force weapon, combi-weapon - Attached to Vigilant squad
Rogue Trader entourage - Attached to a Voidsmen squad
Callidus Assassin
Culexus Assassin
Eversor Assassin
Vindicare Assassin

Vigilant squad - nuncio aquila, grenade launcher, heavy stubber, cyber-mastiff
Voidsmen-at-arms - 9 man (2 rotor-cannon), canid

Subductor squad - nuncio aquila, cyber-mastiff
Henchmen 1 - 10 henchmen (plasma pistol, eviserator), 2 mystics, 2 gun-servitors (heavy bolter, multi-melta), 1 weaponsmith, 1 daemonhost 
Henchmen 2 - 10 henchmen (plasma pistol, eviserator), 2 mystics, 2 gun-servitors (heavy bolter, multi-melta), 1 weaponsmith, 1 daemonhost 

Armiger Helverin - stubber
Armiger Helverin - stubber
Armiger Warglaive - melta

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Posted (edited)

Looks like fun. If you get some games in with it, I'd love to hear how it goes. 

Only thing I noticed, the Rouge Trader Entourage can only attach to Breachers or Voidsmen at Arms. (Unless I missed an update somewhere.) It's too bad, because they're a good fit for the Subductors. Hopefully that will be an attachment we can make when the codex comes out. 

Edited by Tawnis