Starting Horus Heresy. World Eaters Shopping list

HI, Iam new to the Site but was looking for some advice starting horus heresy and my army of choice is World Eaters. I have experience in playing them in 10th edition. Since my brother already bought me Hh Angron and Hh Kharne, I just need a fun army to lead them against his Space Wolves for our own night of the wolf narrative. So any basic information like Shopping list units/equipment loadouts etc would be appreciated and save me money for sensible purchases. Thanks! 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Hound of the Red Sands said:

HI, Iam new to the Site but was looking for some advice starting horus heresy and my army of choice is World Eaters. I have experience in playing them in 10th edition. Since my brother already bought me Hh Angron and Hh Kharne, I just need a fun army to lead them against his Space Wolves for our own night of the wolf narrative. So any basic information like Shopping list units/equipment loadouts etc would be appreciated and save me money for sensible purchases. Thanks! 

Welcome to the Heresy! You would be better off asking this question in the Horus Heresy forum.

I also have a small and growing collection of World Eaters, but there is a big problem: to make the most of the legion trait you want assault marines or despoilers with chain axes or rampagers with twin fallax blades. But sadly there is no cheap source for these weapons - at least none I’ve found that I really like.

You will also want some transport to get your frothing loonies into combat. Again, £ per point can be expensive.

if you’ve got Angron you may want to put him in a Spartan (have you already got the box set?. And if you’ve got the box set you’ll definitely want to keep the Contemptor.)

I like that you said fun (rather than “competitive”). If your brother is not fine-tuning his list with multiple contemptors and lascannon squads, you have space to make a fun list that doesn’t have to min-max everything.  And World Eaters  look great with chainswords, maybe you have some lying around and could make despoilers?

if you’ve got Angron, you aren’t exactly “starting small” but maybe look at this thread:

Edited by LameBeard

The folks at the Horus Heresy subforum have been super friendly whenever I've popped over there with the odd request for the use of their particular knowledge of that corner of the hobby (not a heresy player myself) so I'm sure they would be more helpful with your own questions.

I think my first question for that would be 'what era of Heresy', followed by 'what kind of formation'?

A few archetypes I'd favor for World Eaters:

Despoiler Horde - Big nails-curdled blocks of marines. Shopping list: probably like 60 chainsword marines and sprinkling of characters, and bonus points if they're Inductii.

Mounted Assault - Rhino Rush Rampagers

Heavy Assault - Spartans and Landraiders for days

Army of Dark Compliance - Ally up and have World eaters driving on to enemy guns? Heck yes - assuming this is still a thing in 2nd ed.? Shopping list could go outside Heresy and give you a reason to convert a heap of lost and damned left in the wake of the invasion of Terra.

So yea... My biggest suggestion is to find out what kind of list he's going to build and try and do a list that's a good foil so it doesn't end up more of a mirror match than it needs to be. If he goes elite, you go horde... If he goes armoured, you go more infantry etc.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.