Has anyone run this unit? If so how did it perform?

Go to solution Solved by Prot,

Posted (edited)

Hi. 

The unit in question is Marneus Calgar (and his two Invictus guards), 6 aggressors, and an apothecary biologis. Has anyone run this combo? If so how did it do? I ask not as an Ultramarine player, but one that regularly faces Ultramarines from one of his friends ;) ... I'm also very curious about how much of a face-wrecker this unit is, and I like Marenus Calgar and I kept telling my buddy to eventually build the kit he's sitting on and run the chapter master! My theory is that is one heckuva strong unit!

Thanks. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 6/4/2024 at 1:04 PM, Helias_Tancred said:

Hi. 

The unit in question is Marneus Calgar (and his two Invictus guards), 6 aggressors, and an apothecary biologis. Has anyone run this combo? If so how did it do? I ask not as an Ultramarine player, but one that regularly faces Ultramarines from one of his friends ;) ... I'm also very curious about how much of a face-wrecker this unit is, and I like Marenus Calgar and I kept telling my buddy to eventually build the kit he's sitting on and run the chapter master! My theory is that is one heckuva strong unit!

Thanks. 

I've run this a ton... I can't even guess how many times I've run it. The only thing that I've found compares is the same characters joining 6 Eradicators. 

The marine codex is still predominantly successful when shooting. This maximizes that but also gives a very difficult character to get rid of, or minimize. 

Just my opinion but if your friend is running UM without Calgar, I honestly don't see much point in playing them. There's not a lot of 'identity' in the chapters anymore outside of their specific, defined units, and the sad truth is that for most of the main codex chapters those choices are found in the HQ's. (IE: if you played Dark Angels you can find a pile of 'signature' units, albeit lethargic in performance.) The only time I wouldn't take Calgar in a UM list is if for whatever reason perhaps I put Guilliman in. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2024 at 6:01 AM, Prot said:

I've run this a ton... I can't even guess how many times I've run it. The only thing that I've found compares is the same characters joining 6 Eradicators. 

The marine codex is still predominantly successful when shooting. This maximizes that but also gives a very difficult character to get rid of, or minimize. 

Just my opinion but if your friend is running UM without Calgar, I honestly don't see much point in playing them. There's not a lot of 'identity' in the chapters anymore outside of their specific, defined units, and the sad truth is that for most of the main codex chapters those choices are found in the HQ's. (IE: if you played Dark Angels you can find a pile of 'signature' units, albeit lethargic in performance.) The only time I wouldn't take Calgar in a UM list is if for whatever reason perhaps I put Guilliman in. 

Yeah its even built into my list naming "rules".  The lists that run Guilliman are Invictus, the lists that run Calgar are Victrix.  The rare list that runs both incorporate both keywords.  Though again I usually don't run Calgar with Aggressors, I run him with Bladeguard.