Your thoughts on possible changes to the BT Combat Patrol

There's been a noticeable downgrade for most factions Combat Patrols this edition, with a greater focus on Infantry and the removal of larger kits which represent more powerful models on the tabletop, so I've been thinking about what a potential new BT Combat Patrol could look like, and I thought I'd make a little game out of it, so, ideally I'd like answers in the following format: 

Best case scenario: The ideal new BT Combat Patrol, in your opinion. The absolute best for which we could realistically hope. 

Worst case scenario: What would you absolutely hate to see in the new box? What could GW realistically do that would make you think even they've gone mad? (I'm pre-emptively vetoing any suggestions of 20 Reivers, that's too easy!)

Most likely scenario: What do you think GW will actually do? (regardless of how you might feel about it) 

Oddball scenario: What's the weirdest, but not the best or worst, thing GW could put into a new BT Combat Patrol? 

I'll start us off, I'm assuming they're throwing in the chapter upgrade sprue in all cases because that's how they're doing Space Marine CPs at the moment.  

Best case scenario: Something that complements our current Combat Patrol and the launch box, and would make buying both a great way to start an army. 

BT Castellan, 

5-man Primaris Sword Brethren squad, 

10-man Primaris Crusader squad, 

3-man Aggressor squad. 

Worst case scenario: 

Something that doesn't remotely represent the flavour of the army, and lacks synergy internally and with our rules. 

Primaris Techmarine, 

5-man Desolation squad, 

10-man Infiltrator squad. 

3-man Eliminator squad. 

Most likely scenario: 

I honestly think it's likely to strongly resemble the current contents, if it's even changed at all. The Tau gained a transport, so the Impulsor could feasibly stick around. Otherwise: 

Emperor's Champion, 

5-man Primaris Scout squad, 

10-man Primaris Crusader Squad, 

5-man Intercessor squad. 

Oddball scenario: 

Rather than any BT specific models it's all stuff that provides a similar stand-in for the kinds of things we might like to see. 

Primaris Chaplain, 

Company Heroes, 

5-man Primaris Sternguard Veteran squad, 

10-man Assault Intercessor squad, 

8 hours ago, Warden-Paints said:

Does the Dark Angels combat patrol have the upgrade sprue? I think there's next to no chance that stays in the BT box. 

Also, a lot of hate on some of the new boxes, I actually prefer most of them. 

The new DA CP contains 2 of the older DA Primaris upgrade sprues, but not the newer ones. I would assume a new BT CP would contain the new upgrade sprue because there's nothing else that could realistically replace it. I can't imagine GW putting our old upgrade sprue in a box, with all the firstborn parts, although maybe have a way to cast just the shoulder pads and nothing else. Who knows?

As most 10th patrol boxes switched to infantry centric, it would very possibly be 1 character, 10 crusaders and 2 other infantry squads. 

The current upgrade sprue could be included, since developing a new smaller version means more cost to GW. As response, GW would control the total MSRP, the "other units" would certainly having half box of 10 men product(e.g. 5 reivers), not retail 5 men box product(brethren).

21 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

As most 10th patrol boxes switched to infantry centric, it would very possibly be 1 character, 10 crusaders and 2 other infantry squads. 

The current upgrade sprue could be included, since developing a new smaller version means more cost to GW. As response, GW would control the total MSRP, the "other units" would certainly having half box of 10 men product(e.g. 5 reivers), not retail 5 men box product(brethren).

The DA have Bladeguard Veterans in their box, and those come on the same size sprue as the Sword Brethren, so I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. That said, I could see them redesigning the box contents to make the best possible use of the parts on the upgrade sprue. If that were the case they wouldn't add anything BT specific beyond the Crusader Squad. There are six Gravis shoulder pads, so either Aggressors or Eradicators. Any 5-man Tacticus unit could use most of the shoulder pads, leaving a few extras that could be used for a character, so maybe we would get a generic one. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what the specifics will be? Some said more infantry with less to no vehicles? I agree. 

I'm 99% sure it will be less monetary value, less points value, and less usefulness on the tabletop. That seems to be the trend GW has been on with redesigning new faction combat patrols, just overall not as good in multiple categories. It's by design. They're a crappy company. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

On 6/9/2024 at 9:02 AM, Helias_Tancred said:

I'm not sure what the specifics will be? Some said more infantry with less to no vehicles? I agree. 

I'm 99% sure it will be less monetary value, less points value, and less usefulness on the tabletop. That seems to be the trend GW has been on with redesigning new faction combat patrols, just overall not as good in multiple categories. It's by design. They're a crappy company. 

Respectfully disagree. The new Combat Patrols are a lot more infantry heavy for the most part. I believe it's an attempt to make Combat Patrol a better game mode. If you really believe their plan is to make them less useful for players I don't know what to tell you. I'm becoming so numb to internet hyperbole. 

Our CP is not great imo, I would much prefer a box with sword brethren than an impulsor. 

The recent Combat patrols have been less value both in terms of price/models and on the table. Not hyperbole.

Previously they've been seen as a good way to begin building an army; good value in terms of price vs. models you get, and decent models/unit selection for said faction on the tabletop. I think regardless that they're now trying to make a game around them, they're still seen as the building blocks for starting an army. Now GW is moving away from the value angle and being a good selection for starting an army.

GW is making the changes to the boxes to maximize profit, and to push their combat patrol game which at its heart is about getting its customers to buy more different faction's combat patrol boxes. Their new aim to get their regular customers to own tons of small armies (combat patrol boxes) of every faction versus what was previously the norm, a customer owning several large collections. The only usefulness they care about is making the new combat patrols "useful" in whatever new gimmick they are pushing to drive sales.

I used to work for GW.  This is what they do. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

15 hours ago, Warden-Paints said:

Our CP is not great imo, I would much prefer a box with sword brethren than an impulsor. 

I'm split on that. On one hand I agree with you, a Sword Brethren squad would be very appropriate  but ... we're going to run impulsors in our bigger lists, at least one, and I like getting it at a value.