Random Book Inspired Thoughts

Been feeling a little interested in 40k again so have been bouncing in here and joined a local FB 40k group to check out the state of the game this weekend. 

Been on a long commute this past couple of months and have been listening to books on the drive. Some thoughts;

Battle of the Fang:

The Kaerls were 100% vital to the defense of the Fang. I was thinking since a codex was pending, it might be fun to model up a unit of them knowing their role from the book. Was wondering what people thought would best suit them? I narrowed it down to either Cadian due to their proximity to EoT or Death Korps of Krueger due to them coming from a death world. 

I was then struck by further inspiration where an Iron Priest has a detachment of Kaerls accompany him to “wake the dead”. So include an iron priest in the mix since I don’t expect any changes for them in the new codex. 

Personally, I am leaning towards Cadians because I think they would look pretty decent in a darker grey paint scheme with suitable wolfy stuff on them. Also they have some weapon/armor options that seems to align with their role in the novel. 

thoughts?

Found this as a reference. 

IMG_7797.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2024 at 12:32 PM, Grimtooth said:

Been feeling a little interested in 40k again so have been bouncing in here and joined a local FB 40k group to check out the state of the game this weekend. 

Been on a long commute this past couple of months and have been listening to books on the drive. Some thoughts;

Battle of the Fang:

The Kaerls were 100% vital to the defense of the Fang. I was thinking since a codex was pending, it might be fun to model up a unit of them knowing their role from the book. Was wondering what people thought would best suit them? I narrowed it down to either Cadian due to their proximity to EoT or Death Korps of Krueger due to them coming from a death world. 

I was then struck by further inspiration where an Iron Priest has a detachment of Kaerls accompany him to “wake the dead”. So include an iron priest in the mix since I don’t expect any changes for them in the new codex. 

Personally, I am leaning towards Cadians because I think they would look pretty decent in a darker grey paint scheme with suitable wolfy stuff on them. Also they have some weapon/armor options that seems to align with their role in the novel. 

thoughts?

Found this as a reference. 

IMG_7797.jpeg

That’s a slick paint job! They’d look pretty tight allied to a Wolfspear force. 
Now for a more Fenrisian-looking force of kaerls…if you’re not opposed to kit bashing you’ve got a lot of options. You could look for some Vostroyan-type bodies (I think Anvil or Puppetswar has some. Laid up with the flu and too drained to look it up but you get the idea) and maybe see how the Wargames Atlantic Einherjar (space dwarves! Perfect for space Vikings!) work on them.