Quick Deathwing, will this work?

Getting ready for the call to arms and I’m gonna have a ton of Deathwing to paint.  I watched the GW video on painting DW.  I was thinking about trying modify this a little for speed.  I was thinking doing the contrast skeleton horde medium mix first and a light drybrush of Wraithbone before anything else so I don’t have to be careful.   Are there any pitfalls here I’m missing?  I’m not artistic at all so I have to use these recipes.  I can’t just see it naturally like you great painters can.

Honestly, for decent table top you can get away with Corax White spray and Skeleton Horde contrast. 

If you go wraithbone first, it ends up a bit warmer and the stark highlights are lessened. By using corax white, you have as bright as can be, so provided your coverage of Skeleton Horde is consistent the highlights remain sharp and the shadows seem deeper. 

A light drybrush of wraithbone will help it along if you want to, but really once you've got the light colour down it is the details that then make the mini complete - the greens, reds and greys. I've often basecoated minis and really disliked them, but persevered through to the finish and ended up liking it once the lenses and weapons and metals are in place. 

30 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

Honestly, for decent table top you can get away with Corax White spray and Skeleton Horde contrast. 

If you go wraithbone first, it ends up a bit warmer and the stark highlights are lessened. By using corax white, you have as bright as can be, so provided your coverage of Skeleton Horde is consistent the highlights remain sharp and the shadows seem deeper. 

A light drybrush of wraithbone will help it along if you want to, but really once you've got the light colour down it is the details that then make the mini complete - the greens, reds and greys. I've often basecoated minis and really disliked them, but persevered through to the finish and ended up liking it once the lenses and weapons and metals are in place. 

This. Starting with wraithbone and then darkening all over will give you an appearance more like dirty old parchment. White with contrast (suggest thinning this down as well) will give you a nice off-white bone color.

Also, I have had a lot of success with a wraithbone spray followed by just darkening the recesses, followed by a satin varnish to give the armor a more ceramic look. Got 70+ deathwing terminators done in this style, so I can say it does work. :laugh:

3 hours ago, phandaal said:

This. Starting with wraithbone and then darkening all over will give you an appearance more like dirty old parchment. White with contrast (suggest thinning this down as well) will give you a nice off-white bone color.

Also, I have had a lot of success with a wraithbone spray followed by just darkening the recesses, followed by a satin varnish to give the armor a more ceramic look. Got 70+ deathwing terminators done in this style, so I can say it does work. :laugh:

Can you elaborate on this process?  I already have a ton of Wraithbone spray so I really don't want to go buy a different white.

1 hour ago, crimsondave said:

Can you elaborate on this process?  I already have a ton of Wraithbone spray so I really don't want to go buy a different white.

Here is a picture of my Deathwing (some of them anyway :laugh:) to help understand the end product. My Dark Angels are Angels of Vengeance, hence the lack of green, but I wanted to stick withe bone-colored Deathwing. Actually looks pretty rad beside the all-black "greenwing."

Spoiler

large.20240612_154241.jpg.761e54f3c59c67

What I did was give them a wraithbone spray, then paint on all of the other colors, then I gave them a dip in Army Painter dark tone shade. This is a polyurethane product, so I can then go back and use mineral spirits to wipe the shade off of the raised/flat areas before it dries and leave the acrylic paint underneath untouched. I did this whole dip/wipe process one model at a time to keep the shade from curing too much before wiping it off.

The end result is what you see here - recess shading and separation between the light and dark areas with a nice smooth finish on the bone-colored areas. Also worked for my Deathwing apothecary with his light grey armor.

You could achieve the same effect by pin-washing the recesses as well, although that will take longer than the dip/wipe method.

Posted (edited)

I have soft tone and strong tone dip but no dark tone.  Of course.  I have some old metal termies somewhere.  I think I’ll try Grotsmasha’s recipe and see how that goes for me.  I can always go buy some dark tone dip but I’m kinda tired of buying paint.  :confused:  Thank you both.

If I didn’t love the DAs named characters so much I’d be doing Angels of Vengeance.  Love that chapter.  That Guardsman video with the AoV is friggin cool.

Edited by crimsondave

14 hours ago, crimsondave said:

I have soft tone and strong tone dip but no dark tone.  Of course.  I have some old metal termies somewhere.  I think I’ll try Grotsmasha’s recipe and see how that goes for me.  I can always go buy some dark tone dip but I’m kinda tired of buying paint.  :confused:  Thank you both.

If I didn’t love the DAs named characters so much I’d be doing Angels of Vengeance.  Love that chapter.  That Guardsman video with the AoV is friggin cool.

That Guardsman short is awesome!

Good luck with the Deathwing! Looking forward to seeing how they end up.