Games Workshop expansion

I doubt this will impact the start of 11th if it's currently planned to open in 2026. Which, going by GWs 3 year cycle would be the year 11th is meant to drop. Since the starter boxes and whatever else they want to release has to be ready to go by then, any production capacity that can't be guaranteed with serious lead time isn't going to be relevant. So even if this new place is ready on time (and let's be honest, who thinks that?)...

But for whatever post-11th ed launch releases, this'll be good. :)

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Can't wait for more price increases to cover the costs of construction 

Thanks for bringing this up, I actually forgot to bring it up when GW warned of price increases last half-year report.

GW in the past, historically, traditionally, does NOT increase prices based on equipment.  It raises prices based on RUNNING said equipment.

It's in the byzantine accounting format that not only GW, but the world uses.  They look at their Gross Profit Margin.

What counts for this?  It includes labour (like the jobs created), materials (plastic, from petroleum), the electricity bill for Factory 4, etc.

What doesn't count for this?  Building the factory itself, the plastic mold injection machines, not even the molds.  Why not?  Those are Assets that you can continuously re-use, like even an old mold for a Legends model they'll stuff somewhere to pull out for some Made To Order later on.  They're just accounted for differently.

Price increases suck.  But within that suckage, GW has an aberrant code of honour, like the Punisher or The Professional (either the Jean Reno version or the John Woo version).  You probably don't agree with their code, but GW sticks by it, they're like "no women no keeds."  It's like how Mafia hitmen are really nice to their mums.

The best tell for when GW increases its prices?  Our Brothers who drive in the UK can tell better than Wall Street: see when petrol prices increase in the UK.

I wonder how much, if at all, the timeline of the new plant is meant to coincide with whatever show Amazon is producing. I can't imagine they haven't seen the current production/inventory shortages and not forward thought to the influx of new customers thanks to whatever show ends up coming out.

I don't think that will help build a strong increase in profits if the mass of people trying to get into the hobby cannot buy anything

Edited by darkhorse0607

7 hours ago, N1SB said:

The best tell for when GW increases its prices?  Our Brothers who drive in the UK can tell better than Wall Street: see when petrol prices increase in the UK.

I'm a little out of my depth regarding the construction costs and which elements GW chooses to base their prices on, but I can confirm the fuel/diesel prices have been stable and even came down the past 3 months and beyond, yet GW upped their prices.

So I must confess to being slightly confused but wanting more information, if you'll indulge my questions.

What is the pattern of GW price increases relating to construction of products? Is there a pattern? Profit margin is attached keeping share holders happy right, but that's been going up steadily so is it even related to construction costs?

Surely a factory construction is perhaps the reason for the price rises we've seen? They haven't BLAMED it on said plans for new factory, but that seems the logical accrument of capitol prior to construction and fits?

(And I apologise if this subject is dry to some!)

Edited by Captain Idaho

I'll answer the questions 1st.

On 6/17/2024 at 5:40 AM, Captain Idaho said:

What is the pattern of GW price increases relating to construction of products? Is there a pattern? Profit margin is attached keeping share holders happy right, but that's been going up steadily so is it even related to construction costs?

Surely a factory construction is perhaps the reason for the price rises we've seen? They haven't BLAMED it on said plans for new factory, but that seems the logical accrument of capitol prior to construction and fits?

(And I apologise if this subject is dry to some!)

image.thumb.png.dfac5d91f88c8824980994f94abb5437.png

GW's factories are in their annual reports as "Property, plant and equipment."  Since AoS General's Handbook, they've been building up gradually.

image.thumb.png.270566f210962986acc7369582066a68.png

Gross Profit Margin is like how much profit they make on their average good.  GW wants it at 70%, which is high, but it just fluctuates around there.

There's no pattern as they're 2 separate things.  GW isn't passing on the costs of new factories by selling minis for more, but by selling more minis.

It's not a dry question, it's a philosophical one.  CAPITALism isn't about free trade or working by the sweat of your brow, as those things existed before it, it's about CAPITAL investments...like a factory.  Capitalism was like an arrangement from the Industrial Revolution where factories could make things that were unfeasible before.

The factory is as expensive thing, so an entrepreneur will go to a capitalist to front him the huge amount of money, of capital, to build it.  That capitalist owns a part, or a share, of that factory, in exchange for a cut of whatever that factory makes from then on.  It is by this arrangement the capitalist has any right to the value it generates.

So the capitalist would say to you, "This is MY factory.  YOU do NOT pay for this, because if you did, it'd be YOUR factory.  This is MY stake."

I see where you're coming from.  You see money, money from goods, money for factories.  It's not actually about money.  It's about ownership.

(The best argument against capitalism I heard came from an ultra-capitalist, the ex-chairman of a major world stock exchange, who pointed out it's not about factories anymore, it's about some smart kid with a cheap computer who'll write an Abominable Intelligence to take over the world.  His brain is the factory, only he owns that.)

On 6/17/2024 at 5:40 AM, Captain Idaho said:

I'm a little out of my depth regarding the construction costs and which elements GW chooses to base their prices on, but I can confirm the fuel/diesel prices have been stable and even came down the past 3 months and beyond, yet GW upped their prices.

So I must confess to being slightly confused but wanting more information, if you'll indulge my questions.

I think you're right, energy costs have stabalised recently from the energy crisis around Liz Truss's time, but I read forecasts of a surge starting in autumn.

It's not just about heating costs, it's about continued wars in regions that sell a lot of energy.  Petrol prices are like the canary in the coal mine, that's all.

When I read about GW's pricing update, it lined up with other things I've been seeing, that's why I didn't comment.  Thankfully it's not about the factories.

(Y'know what.  I don't complain about prices, because whenever I'm about to, my mind goes to these wars.  Minis seem a small thing compared to that.)

Edited by N1SB