Ideas to improve the app

One thing I would like as I start out my journey into a 3rd army, is a ‘gallery’ section for each datasheet with full screen pictures of the units and for multi model units a an individual shot or two.

what ideas would you guys like to see make it into the official app to improve it?

sorry, but I got to ask, as I don't use the App... If you have a New Codex (Paper copy) with your Code in the back ,can you Freely use the App to Add your Codex ...without spending any money on the App???..

Mithril   

19 minutes ago, MithrilForge said:

sorry, but I got to ask, as I don't use the App... If you have a New Codex (Paper copy) with your Code in the back ,can you Freely use the App to Add your Codex ...without spending any money on the App???..

Mithril   

Yes, the code is used at mywarhammer.com/redeem and gets locked to your account. When logging into the app you can see everything rules related from the redeemed codex.

More automation in wargear selection so that it's not possible to create 'illegal' loadouts. Like a lasgun should disappear if I select a meltagun, and if I have done so the other special weapons should be greyed out / impossible to select until I de-select the melta.

Other than that, I quite enjoy the app.

BScribe basically stopped working on my OS about 18 months ago so I stopped using it... seems okay now tho, so I may skip a codex here or there if they don't feel worthwhile... All relevant ones have felt fine so far with the notable exception of AdMech - hopefully there's a proper update for them on the cards this week tho (they kinda implied there would be).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

Battlescribe:ermm:

Gets updated before the app:thumbsup:

All the information you can get on the app but no silly paywalls:thumbsup:

Kept UpToDate by people who actually love the game and not some mindless servitor:tongue:

Battlescribe sucks. Use new recruit if you're gonna use a non official app.

Official app is serviceable. WH+ sub should get you all the datasheets.  I end up on Waha more often than not to figure out data about the game and that can't possibly be the preference of GW

Edit: why would we have waha be auto corrected to GW?  It's not illegal to talk about websites. 

Edited by DemonGSides

Yeah just employ the guy who runs w ahapedia, much more useful reference and he keeps it fairly well updated last i checked. (And yeah the filter on the website here is just ridiculous but last time i complained the mods were insistent)

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Gets updated before the app:thumbsup:

It most definitely doesn't. 

While I love Battlescribe and use it constantly, it's one failing is that it doesn't always get updated as quickly as the 40k App does. Currently, the 40k App gets updated on the day rules change. Battlescribe is at best going to match that, or in some cases lags behind.

That's no criticism of the BSData devs, it's just the reality of them not really being able to start their work until the newest document/Codex/update is released publicly. The devs are amazing and manage to work incredibly quickly, but they're still limited by when they can actually get the info.

A way to buy just the codes for the codex at a cheap price (~$5) would be good. Almost pure profit for GW too.

I'm fine with the overall design of the App, especially the Command Bunker part as it makes it easier to swap units during a game as well as having all the strats in phase order has helped.

Edited by Focslain

1 hour ago, RWJP said:

It most definitely doesn't. 

While I love Battlescribe and use it constantly, it's one failing is that it doesn't always get updated as quickly as the 40k App does. Currently, the 40k App gets updated on the day rules change. Battlescribe is at best going to match that, or in some cases lags behind.

That's no criticism of the BSData devs, it's just the reality of them not really being able to start their work until the newest document/Codex/update is released publicly. The devs are amazing and manage to work incredibly quickly, but they're still limited by when they can actually get the info.

They are also fully volunteer because the guy who owns BS sucks.  Charges for ad free, takes all ad revenue, does nothing to support his own app.  Screw that. 

10 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

They are also fully volunteer because the guy who owns BS sucks.  Charges for ad free, takes all ad revenue, does nothing to support his own app.  Screw that. 

I do not for the life of me understand why anyone still does volunteer work for BS.  Dude basically does nothing and gives the middle finger to the people who support his app.

Edited by crimsondave

I know a lot of players love BS and the App but i'm still a pen & paper guy :sweat: I never have problems.... is it just a modern tech age thing or am I missing something :laugh:

I'm salty enough Paying the ever increasing Codex price, I don't want to fork over unnecessary Funds to GW (WH+ etc) unless i really have to ... 

M. 

13 hours ago, crimsondave said:

I do not for the life of me understand why anyone still does volunteer work for BS.  Dude basically does nothing and gives the middle finger to the people who support his app.

Couple of reasons:

Number 1, the voluntary work is an intentional choice by the data devs. If they take money/patreon subs/whatever else, that opens them up to GW coming after them. GW has already hit BS with an Infringement Notice back in 2011 because at the time BS hosted all the data files themselves. After that, the data work was separated out completely to avoid any further issues and part of that involved making sure no money was involved.

Number 2, the data isn't just used for BS. Several other list builders such as New Recruit and Bluescribe use the exact same data files. 

Edited by RWJP

On 6/19/2024 at 1:25 AM, MithrilForge said:

I know a lot of players love BS and the App but i'm still a pen & paper guy :sweat: I never have problems.... is it just a modern tech age thing or am I missing something :laugh:

I'm salty enough Paying the ever increasing Codex price, I don't want to fork over unnecessary Funds to GW (WH+ etc) unless i really have to ... 

M. 

App not only calculates the points automatically, but the battle bunker lines up the datasheets in alphabetical order for you to select to check their rules and abilities. It’s really nice

the app is free and you get to make one army list for free, that can be changed at will with the exception of the faction.  For those of us who built a bunch of lists during the initial role out we have multiple free lists we can use.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

6 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

I don't know why the people who keep battlescribe data up to date dont make their own app:ermm:

Probably because learning to create and edit data files that use an established format is much easier than learning Java or Python or whatever to design and create a new app. I speak from the experience of having done one of the above (the easier one).

I think some of the new army building tools that are cropping up are made by former BS data editors anyway.