Taking Champions of Russ out for a spin

Karhedron

So I have got my Pariah Nexus cards and a shiny buff to the Champions of Russ. I will be taking them out for a try out tonight in a 1500 point battle against Heretic Astartes (no idea what flavour).

Champions of Russ

95  Judiciar with Black Death

180 Bladeguard Veterans x 6

240 Land Raider

130 Predator Annihilator

220 Land Raider Crusader

140 Blood Claws x 10

30  WG PL Power fist and Combi weapon

90  Ragnar

80 Intercessors x 5 Thunder Hammer and AGL

100 Heavy Intercessors x 5

90 Wulfen, 4 x WH/SS

100 Infiltrators x 5 with Helix Gauntlet

1495 Total

OK so the plan is pretty simple. The 2 Land Raiders roll forward and their melee squads jump out to charge targets of opportunity. The Heavy Intercessors babysit my home Objective. The Infiltrators are there to screen my midfield and tag Objectives. The Intercessors will probably start off in the Land Raider with the Bladeguard for cover and jump out later to try and sticky Objectives. The Wulfen will probably start in Tactical Reserve and come on from a table edge during play to threaten something.

I am trying to decide what Saga to start with active. I am leaning towards Saga of the Bear as this one is quite hard to activate during the game and an army-wide 6+++ is never going to not come in useful.

The Judiciar with Black Death has a decent shot of activating Saga of the Beast Hunter as he gets Dev Wounds on Monsters or Vehicles on a 4+.

Warrior Born could be harder to activate although the Judiciar does have Precision so is in with a chance.

The Blood Claws and Ragnar really want to be charging every turn so I would really like to upgrade the Wolf Guard Pack Leader to a Lt. This would give the Blood Claws Lethal Hits as well as Fall Back and Charge, both of which are bonuses they really like. I just need to find another 30 points and I am not sure where to get them. I could downgrade the Infiltrators to Scouts and they would do a similar job.

Alternatively I could proxy the Blood Claws as Assault Intercessors. Their wound rerolls are always active and don't depend on getting the charge.

I'm gearing up for some CoR testing as well.  Actually excited about something I felt bleh about for a long time.

Killing characters with Ragnar can be easy.  Just need to epic challenge after you charge in.

Precision attacks only require LOS...don't have to be basing the character model you want to kill

If you want to maximize the black death keep the judiciar with assault intercessors so you can reroll wounds and fish for those 4+ dev wounds

16 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

This list could use an iron priest. 3 big tanks could benefit from 1 or 2. +1 to hit would be beneficial for the land raider that isn’t shooting at the oath target.

That is a good point, I think an earlier draft did have an IP. The question is, what do I drop to squeeze him in? If I dropped the Wulfen, that would lose me a cheap beatstick but provide enough points for an IP and also to upgrade the WGPL to a LT. That is not a bad idea.

Champions of Russ

60 Iron Priest

95  Judiciar with Black Death

180 Bladeguard Veterans x 6

240 Land Raider

130 Predator Annihilator

220 Land Raider Crusader

140 Blood Claws x 10

65  Lieutenant with Power Fist and Master Crafted bolter

90  Ragnar

80 Intercessors x 5 Thunder Hammer and AGL

100 Heavy Intercessors x 5

100 Infiltrators x 5 with Helix Gauntlet

1500 Total

OK so here is the revised list. I think that the Lt adds a lot of the Blood Claw squad and is probably worth the loss of the Wulfen.

As it turned out, my opponent was sick yesterday so I ended up playing someone else with my Eldar but a good time was had.