Artificer Brushes

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

2 hours ago, KAINE-77 said:

Late to the discussion, but thought I'd add my experiences with the GW Artificer brushes.

Long story short, bought a set, and they were awful.

Now, it was a long, long time ago, so it'd could've been a bad batch, but couldn't hold a point, split and fell apart.

I've been wary of expensive (to me) brushes since. But, as I say, could've just been bad luck, and they may have improved!

On a whim, I bought a cheap Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolour brush from WHSMITH ( UK Newsagent/Stationary Shop) and they have been my go to brushes for the last 15 years!

Thanks, I appreciate the insight!!!

11 hours ago, KAINE-77 said:

Late to the discussion, but thought I'd add my experiences with the GW Artificer brushes.

Long story short, bought a set, and they were awful.

Now, it was a long, long time ago, so it'd could've been a bad batch, but couldn't hold a point, split and fell apart.

I've been wary of expensive (to me) brushes since. But, as I say, could've just been bad luck, and they may have improved!

On a whim, I bought a cheap Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolour brush from WHSMITH ( UK Newsagent/Stationary Shop) and they have been my go to brushes for the last 15 years!

Looks like they don't have to kill a weasel to make those brushes either, which is a plus.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Looks like they don't have to kill a weasel to make those brushes either, which is a plus.

Weasels arent killed for the Brushes, they are killed for the für Fashion Industrie and the tails are actually left overs. If they werent used für Brushes they would be thrown away. Its how leather is a by product of the meat industry.

Its worth to mention that this weasel is not an endangered species.

On the other side synthetic Brushes need oil for the bristels same as vegan leather.

If you want to go most environmental friendly the best is to buy an airbrush Made from green steel and brass. :D

14 hours ago, KAINE-77 said:

On a whim, I bought a cheap Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolour brush

Yup, they're a good choice if you want a synthetic brush (and have pretty good availability). :smile: I'm a little surprised you found them in WH Smith's!

2 hours ago, Bung said:

Weasels arent killed for the Brushes

Well they are, regardless of whether or not the rest of the animal is used for something else.
They're part of the industry. I'm sure W&N aren't the janitors of the fur factory getting it for free. They pay for it.

Not trying to guilt trip anyone here, (I wear leather, eat meat, use sable brushes etc)
but it's always worth being reminded of where stuff comes from every now and then. Rather than ignoring it.

...yeah airbrush is best brush :D