Baneblade

I was curious it know in 10e if anyone has played a baneblade or any variant of it? I am wondering how well they actually do. I assume they are just too many points and that is why you never see them but was wondering who takes them anyways and how they fair?

Posted (edited)

I played a game with a baneblade and a stormlord a month or two ago, though honestly can’t remember how it went lol.

edit

played just my stormlord in another game that I do remember.

Against a mostly swarm Tyranid army, and it took us 3-3.5 hours to get through T2 and called it at that point because i really wasn’t expecting the game to be literally an all day thing and neither did my fiancé lol.

but for the actual game play itself, it went well. I delivered 3 bullgryn, 3 ogryn, and Kasrkin squad to an objective within ability range of a few HWSes. 
chopped through like 3 largish monsters, and like 30ish small bugs with that combo in those 2 turns

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

6 hours ago, INKS said:

I was curious it know in 10e if anyone has played a baneblade or any variant of it? I am wondering how well they actually do. I assume they are just too many points and that is why you never see them but was wondering who takes them anyways and how they fair?

I think the Stormsword has some play, and showed up in a recent competitive list.

It's biggest issue is that it's so freaking large. It is a tough nut to crack but pretty easy to shoot, so it's got some problems in the current game. 

20 minutes ago, INKS said:

I figured their cost in points and how large they are to move might be an issue on the table for them.

Yeah if you're playing certain terrain formats it can end up basically being stuck in your deployment zone.

I've had one sitting on my workbench for a few months now; I picked up Guard towards the end of last year, so I'm still collecting a lot of the requisite pieces.  I haven't been super motivated to build the Blade yet but with new missions maybe he's got some play.

Posted (edited)

Haven't used my Stormlord or Shadowsword/Baneword in a while, and I think the various BB-variants are generally slightly overpriced (some more than others), but also very cool.

They aren't something I'd take to a tournament, but in a casual or even semi-competitive game with actual friends? Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Edited by Minsc

45 minutes ago, sairence said:

The main stumbling block for superheavy tanks is usually too dense terrain, that prevents you from moving your big model.

If you can work around that, they can be a lot of fun.

4 baneblades makes a pretty good gun line and distraction for your enemy.

either pump a lot of fire into them or they tear you up.

Can't form a gunline if you can't maneuver to see the objectives your opponent is claiming. ;-)

That said, GW terrain tends to be fine for big models, I think UKTC is okay too and the new WTC maps are better than what they used to be for big stuff. That's the standards across most tournaments I think.

If you're playing against a friend, you'd obviously discuss beforehand if you're planning to bring multiple Baneblades. 

Any notion of bringing multiple Baneblades from a competitive standpoint is more or less doomed to fail from the start.
Baneblades aren't competitive, so bringing several of them to make up for their own drawbacks won't magically make them better...
If you want a wall of tanks, you basically get 3 Leman Russes per Baneblade, so bring 12 LR's instead of 4 BB's.

With that said, I did rather recently play against 3 BB's (and I think he had 2 or 3 LR's, was a 2000 pts game) and we made sure the terrain wasn't laid out in such a way that he couldn't move around the table with them - not that they actually moved more than a few inches, but that's a different story. :tongue:

I appreciate that, I just wanted something fun to play with super low model count in a tank army. I could just go LR's. of course but like you said that makes like 12 of them and that isn't really a low model count... that isn't high but you can get it much lower.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, INKS said:

I appreciate that, I just wanted something fun to play with super low model count in a tank army. I could just go LR's. of course but like you said that makes like 12 of them and that isn't really a low model count... that isn't high but you can get it much lower.

In 40K 12 tanks is a low model count.

what do you mean by when you say low model count?

on the flip side you could do 2 BBs and about 6 russes for a total model count of 8.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

5 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

In 40K 12 tanks is a low model count.

what do you mean by when you say low model count?

on the flip side you could do 2 BBs and about 6 russes for a total model count of 8.

Well this is exactly it. I could get the model count down to 7 or 8. Which is lower. The lower the better.

blades (1960 points)

Astra Militarum
Strike Force (2000 points)
Combined Regiment

CHARACTERS

Regimental Enginseer (45 points)
  • 1x Archeotech pistol
    1x Enginseer axe
    1x Servo-arm

• 1x Archeotech pistol
    1x Enginseer axe
    1x Servo-arm

• 1x Archeotech pistol
    1x Enginseer axe
    1x Servo-arm

Tank Commander (220 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Lascannon
    1x Leman Russ battle cannon
  • Enhancement: Grand Strategist

Tank Commander (205 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Lascannon
    1x Leman Russ battle cannon

OTHER DATASHEETS

Baneblade (480 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Baneblade cannon
    1x Co-axial autocannon
    1x Demolisher cannon
    1x Heavy stubber
    2x Lascannon
    1x Twin heavy bolter
    2x Twin heavy flamer

Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (240 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Castigator gatling cannon
    1x Heavy stubber
    1x Twin battle cannon

Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (240 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Castigator gatling cannon
    1x Heavy stubber
    1x Twin battle cannon

Shadowsword (440 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    2x Lascannon
    1x Twin heavy bolter
    2x Twin heavy flamer
    1x Volcano cannon

A few more models than you wanted but might actually be fun to play. Dorns have a lot of sticking power. 

Posted (edited)

Just keep in mind that the Tank Commanders cannot issue orders to the Baneblades, only Lord Solar can. And the Baneblades do not benefit from Born Soldiers either, in both cases due to the lack of the SQUADRON keyword on the big ones.

Edited by sairence

2 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Oh right I forget the Blades can't be ordered. Well then eliminate the enhancement and stick another character in there or drop the non enhanced commander for another leman Russ variant. 

Actually they can, but only by Leonatus, as they can use orders on any Astra Militarum unit.