Baneblade

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Actually they can, but only by Leonatus, as they can use orders on any Astra Militarum unit.

Right but the poster wanted as much tank as possible and Leontus is a horse lol

I just think that TC's should be able to order a Bane. Or even be in a Bane!

Make TC an enhancement and I'd probably be happier. Probably hard to balance in the current way the games set up as giving orders can be huge and you probably don't want them on a random Hydra (Tho I could argue if I want my Hydra to be my command vehicle, GW should let me).

58 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Right but the poster wanted as much tank as possible and Leontus is a horse lol

I just think that TC's should be able to order a Bane. Or even be in a Bane!

Make TC an enhancement and I'd probably be happier. Probably hard to balance in the current way the games set up as giving orders can be huge and you probably don't want them on a random Hydra (Tho I could argue if I want my Hydra to be my command vehicle, GW should let me).

Ok, didn't see the OP. 

As for ordering super heavies, their thinking might be in line with how they lose access to the overwatch strat. Too powerful with the orders, namely take aim. Just easier to nik the ability or just place it to a unit that you can take multiples of. 

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

Ok, didn't see the OP. 

As for ordering super heavies, their thinking might be in line with how they lose access to the overwatch strat. Too powerful with the orders, namely take aim. Just easier to nik the ability or just place it to a unit that you can take multiples of. 

The general idea and the question was how to get as low a model count as possible, while taking all tanks and still be able to have fun with it. Not that it's going to be very competitive. I know that. --The game as it stands is about taking and controlling objectives for the most part and tanks, while fun and costly don't  do that as well as troops or other units.

34 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Have you considered playing kill team? Those matches are like 5-7 or 8 models.

I did play kill team for a little bit but honestly I find it kinda complicated and convoluted. So many kill teams now and a lot of them are the same. The point itself isn't so much that I don't want to 40k, I know the 40k rules for the most part, but I like armies with low model counts and large models. I could play knights, or tanks probably? and maybe Deamons? I don't know. Things to consider I suppose.

2 hours ago, INKS said:

I did play kill team for a little bit but honestly I find it kinda complicated and convoluted. So many kill teams now and a lot of them are the same. The point itself isn't so much that I don't want to 40k, I know the 40k rules for the most part, but I like armies with low model counts and large models. I could play knights, or tanks probably? and maybe Deamons? I don't know. Things to consider I suppose.

Just keep in mind the game is not balanced for such armies so either you’ll be getting stomped on points or you’re opponent will be unable to do much, and that creates feel bad moments if they didn’t know to expect a bunch of super heavies, which could then make it hard to get a game with people in the future.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Just keep in mind the game is not balanced for such armies so either you’ll be getting stomped on points or you’re opponent will be unable to do much, and that creates feel bad moments if they didn’t know to expect a bunch of super heavies, which could then make it hard to get a game with people in the future.

I promise you this isn't the case. In a tournament setting everyone is prepared, In a friendly environment. those people know a head of time. I am not showing up places for some surprise, I got you moment with tanks and so on. And for Armies like knights, the game is balanced for that. might not be for super heavy tanks and that is fair but it's not really feel bad moments. maybe i am reading the room wrong here but this isn't about feel bad moments, and it isn't about winning some GT somewhere. I have fun with large monsters / tanks and an army of them. The less models the better for me. In cost, in time to prepare the models, in hobby time and in carrying the models around. I am not looking for some edge or  to create negative moments in gaming. I feel like maybe that isn't being understood. My question was originally how well does this work or how well do these tanks work, what are the problems and so on. I really do try to keep things in a positive light here, not about going off and playing some other game system, or ruining fun for other people. That isn't the goal, The goal is to have a few models as possible, that look cool, that can perform kinda well and in turn have fun with it and hopefully a laugh. 

Edit: I am probably just going to go with knights but I had a thought at the time. Wouldn't it be fun if the Big Knights were replaced by banblades and the armigers were replaced by Leman Russes or some other tanks. I realize that, they aren't really 1 to 1 replacements and moving a tank and the space it takes up is far worse than a knight. I realize knights have special rules in place and are more balanced for such a list. But I thought it a fun idea and so came here to ask anyways.

Edited by INKS

5 hours ago, INKS said:

Edit: I am probably just going to go with knights but I had a thought at the time. Wouldn't it be fun if the Big Knights were replaced by banblades and the armigers were replaced by Leman Russes or some other tanks. I realize that, they aren't really 1 to 1 replacements and moving a tank and the space it takes up is far worse than a knight. I realize knights have special rules in place and are more balanced for such a list. But I thought it a fun idea and so came here to ask anyways.

They are better suited to taking objectives then the IG tanks due to their high OCs. As a knight player myself they are the objectively better all vehicle army you can field. The armoured spearhead take a little more planning and you need to kill things faster in shooting.  Your looking at about 4-8 models depending on how many armigars you take. 

To be fair, in my experience this edition my tanks have been the high primary scorers in my games as they can get to the mid field fast and I just concentrate fire on the proper targets. Infantry tend to flank and hold the back field. 

Either way take what you like to build and paint if your doing causal and happy hunting out there.

I've been looking at making dual super heavies work in my own guard list, but focussing on the lesser used variants.

Currently I'm looking at a Doomhammer and a Banehammer due to their transport capacities, each filled with a 20 man shock trooper squad with attached command squad and character (Creed in one, Castellan in the other) and a pair of Enginseers to stand behind them and nail bits back on. The rest of the list consists of two more 10 man shock trooper squads to run around locking down objectives/doing actions, two MSU Scion squads to deepstrike in and do things and a pair of Leman Russ Eradicators that can go hunting light armour and elites, or ram into hordes and not care since they ignore the -1 to fire within engagement range and can do it with their turrets as well.

I like the idea of these tanks as there is a bit of redundancy. Both main guns are strength 12 so not the most powerful, but the Doomhammer's ability to always be in range for melta against vehicles and monsters is very useful, and if the tank is destroyed the Banehammer can harm vehicles and monsters with some success as well. Against hordes of infantry the Banehammer is king, but blast on the Doomhammer's main gun lets it help out against infantry a bit. All that of course dosen't take into account the additional weapons on each.

Generally I find very large tanks to be the ultimate distraction Carnifex; they're too powerful to ignore but require a serious investment of fire power to remove. My plan for this list is simply slowly advancing both hammers forward, fireing everything at two targets each max a turn to strike a balalnce between wiping units out and inflicting as much damage against the enemy as possible. Probably go with main gun at one target and lascannon and heavy bolters at something else). All the while the shock troops will run around securing objectives, the scions drop where ever the need to score arises and the eradicators either advance quickly to act as a road block against infantry or come on from strategic reserves later in the game to put pressure on the opponents backfield.

Will it be competitive? Probably not. But lets face it, we're not having this discussion because we want to win. We're having it because we want to have fun playing with giant tanks!

7 hours ago, INKS said:

I promise you this isn't the case. In a tournament setting everyone is prepared, In a friendly environment. those people know a head of time. I am not showing up places for some surprise, I got you moment with tanks and so on. And for Armies like knights, the game is balanced for that. might not be for super heavy tanks and that is fair but it's not really feel bad moments. maybe i am reading the room wrong here but this isn't about feel bad moments, and it isn't about winning some GT somewhere. I have fun with large monsters / tanks and an army of them. The less models the better for me. In cost, in time to prepare the models, in hobby time and in carrying the models around. I am not looking for some edge or  to create negative moments in gaming. I feel like maybe that isn't being understood. My question was originally how well does this work or how well do these tanks work, what are the problems and so on. I really do try to keep things in a positive light here, not about going off and playing some other game system, or ruining fun for other people. That isn't the goal, The goal is to have a few models as possible, that look cool, that can perform kinda well and in turn have fun with it and hopefully a laugh. 

Define ‘friendly’ I had a ‘friendly’ game a little while ago against a new person they slapped down an epic hero demon prince,  belakor, a blood thirster, a great unclean one, and the robo demon spider thing. There was no warning they were skewing into high T, high W models.

when I politely brought that up the obese neckbeard tried claiming it was the only viable way to play demons because the smaller units were ‘too squishy’ despite all having invulns…

1 hour ago, Casual Heresy said:

Will it be competitive? Probably not. But lets face it, we're not having this discussion because we want to win. We're having it because we want to have fun playing with giant tanks!

Yes! This.

48 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Define ‘friendly’ I had a ‘friendly’ game a little while ago against a new person they slapped down an epic hero demon prince,  belakor, a blood thirster, a great unclean one, and the robo demon spider thing. There was no warning they were skewing into high T, high W models.

when I politely brought that up the obese neckbeard tried claiming it was the only viable way to play demons because the smaller units were ‘too squishy’ despite all having invulns…

Well when I say friendly  I am talking about mostly about friends. Like I said, I am not trying to have some kind of gotcha list. Or a surprise. If I would find myself in a situation where my opponent said, "hey I can't deal with tanks like that" then we just wouldn't play (I don't have multiple armies). It isn't that I want to give other people a bad time or experience. I just want to play with minimal giant models because that is what I like. --I could do all Leman Russes and run like 12 of them, but with baneblades I could get it lower than 12.

51 minutes ago, INKS said:

Well when I say friendly  I am talking about mostly about friends. Like I said, I am not trying to have some kind of gotcha list. Or a surprise. If I would find myself in a situation where my opponent said, "hey I can't deal with tanks like that" then we just wouldn't play (I don't have multiple armies). It isn't that I want to give other people a bad time or experience. I just want to play with minimal giant models because that is what I like. --I could do all Leman Russes and run like 12 of them, but with baneblades I could get it lower than 12.

Pretty much how I deal with my knight army. Give warning or let them choose their opponent (I do have multiple armies).

This talk of large tanks makes me want to pull out the baneblade again. It held it's own against a Chaos knight army once (in 10th). It could use some more table time.

My Baneblade has had a lot of success against Custodes armies where the mass volume of lower AP high damage shots do a lot of work.

Competitively, you typically only see one in a list sometimes, and when you do, Lord Solar is babysitting it since he's the only unit that can give it orders. 

I've got a fun narrative game coming up this weekend that I had a 1k list built for of mostly infantry, and then I got hit with the info that I also have an extra 500 points in "reinforcements" that can come into the game if we fulfill a special objective, and they gain deep strike (It's a 3v3 game at 1k army size a piece with 500 special reinforcements for one side, and infinite respawns for the other (Damn necrons...).

And now I'm looking at my Baneblade box thinking... can I get that together in 2 days while also making it an octoblade?  I've got the magnet kit from Magnet Baron, so it's technically possible, but I just don't know if I've got the free-time.

The other option is a Dorn, a Russ, and a techpriest or two, maybe another small 10 man squad.

Just musing.

2 hours ago, Tawnis said:

My Baneblade has had a lot of success against Custodes armies where the mass volume of lower AP high damage shots do a lot of work.

Competitively, you typically only see one in a list sometimes, and when you do, Lord Solar is babysitting it since he's the only unit that can give it orders. 

yeah this makes sense

49 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

I've got a fun narrative game coming up this weekend that I had a 1k list built for of mostly infantry, and then I got hit with the info that I also have an extra 500 points in "reinforcements" that can come into the game if we fulfill a special objective, and they gain deep strike (It's a 3v3 game at 1k army size a piece with 500 special reinforcements for one side, and infinite respawns for the other (Damn necrons...).

And now I'm looking at my Baneblade box thinking... can I get that together in 2 days while also making it an octoblade?  I've got the magnet kit from Magnet Baron, so it's technically possible, but I just don't know if I've got the free-time.

The other option is a Dorn, a Russ, and a techpriest or two, maybe another small 10 man squad.

Just musing.

best of luck with using magnets. I've seen it done and it's cool but also a lot of work

Magnestised Baneblade in two days is a tall order, good luck with that. :sweat:

You're probably bettee of picking something you already have. Some tank support sounds cool, especially if you're running a lot of basic infantry in the first place. I'd probably be partial to a big Scion drop myself in that scenario.

1 hour ago, sairence said:

Magnestised Baneblade in two days is a tall order, good luck with that. :sweat:

You're probably bettee of picking something you already have. Some tank support sounds cool, especially if you're running a lot of basic infantry in the first place. I'd probably be partial to a big Scion drop myself in that scenario.

Yeah I retooled my list last night and got a Rogal and a Russ into the list for some more armor punch. I've got a Tau teammate who's just ramming as many rail guns as possible down their throats so I'm not too worried on the big gun side.

I thought about scions but I think Deep Strike Action Monkeys are gonna be mostly useless with the game that's been set up. Objectives are being taken in sequential order so we can't really mess with their home base; it's gonna be a kind of tug of war type battle.

Should be interesting if nothing else!

1 minute ago, DemonGSides said:

Yeah I retooled my list last night and got a Rogal and a Russ into the list for some more armor punch. I've got a Tau teammate who's just ramming as many rail guns as possible down their throats so I'm not too worried on the big gun side.

I thought about scions but I think Deep Strike Action Monkeys are gonna be mostly useless with the game that's been set up. Objectives are being taken in sequential order so we can't really mess with their home base; it's gonna be a kind of tug of war type battle.

Should be interesting if nothing else!

Let us know how it goes. :)

Cadian Castellan (45pts): Close Combat Weapon, Power Weapon, Laspistol

Cadian Castellan (45pts): Close Combat Weapon, Chainsword, Laspistol

5x Cadian Command Squad (65pts)

5x Cadian Command Squad (65pts)

Regimental Enginseer (45pts): Archeotech Pistol, Enginseer Axe, Servo-arm

Lord Solar Leontus (125pts): Conquest, Konstantin's Hooves, Sol's Righteous Gaze, Warlord

20x Cadian Shock Troops (120pts)

20x Cadian Shock Troops (120pts)

2x Field Ordnance Battery (110pts)

10x Kasrkin (110pts)

10x Attilan Rough Riders (120pts)

Hydra (85pts): Armoured Tracks, Hunter-killer Missile, Hydra Autocannon, Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Demolisher (200pts): Demolisher Battle Cannon, Armoured Tracks, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannon, Heavy Stubber, 2 Plasma Cannons, 2x Plasma Cannon

Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (240pts): Armoured tracks, Heavy Stubber, 2 Meltaguns, 2x Meltagun, 2 Multi-meltas, 2x Multi-melta, Pulveriser Cannon, Oppressor Cannon and Co-axial Autocannon, Co-axial Autocannon, Oppressor Cannon

This is my total force. Because of the weird rules there's some deployment chicanery; only allowed to start with 500 pts per person on the board (so 1500 across both armies with 3 players per side), with ~500 in reserves and then the non Necrons also got another 500 pts that can be unlocked through in game actions.  My groups are split like this;

Main Group    540
Solar    125
Command    65
Cadians    120
FOB    110
Attilan    120

Reserves    470
Castellan    45
Command - 65    65
Cadians - 120    120
Rogal Dorn    240

Reinforcements    485
Hydra    85
LR Demo    200
Enginseer    45
Castellan    45
Kasrkin    110

One of the Necron players is deploying around 600-ish to start so I'm not worried about the various going overs. Gonna be a very casual affair!

16 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

I thought about scions but I think Deep Strike Action Monkeys are gonna be mostly useless with the game that's been set up. Objectives are being taken in sequential order so we can't really mess with their home base

Totally get you on the action monkey side, but I meant more along the hammerblow. 10 Scions + Command Squad is 170p and a whooooole lot of dakka. 

The Psykerbomb out of a Taurox Prime is also hella deadly. :D

Hope you have fun at any rate!

5 hours ago, sairence said:

Totally get you on the action monkey side, but I meant more along the hammerblow. 10 Scions + Command Squad is 170p and a whooooole lot of dakka. 

That is totally fair, I'm hoping to get a little of the same out of my Kasrkin+castellan, I've never run them together so we will see.

Thankfully I think most of the "Deal lots of damage" duty is gonna be leaning on our Tau player. The space marine player built their list around getting into the enemies teeth asap to slow them down while the Tau take railgun shots from the backfield.

I'll update tomorrow after the game!