Red Grass Games Wet Palettes ... stink

Posted (edited)

lol ... anyone notice their RGG wet palette's generating a stink after a few days of paint sitting on the papers that come with it? or maybe specifically like 5+ days?

Sorta like a slight rotting food smell odor?

I use an older (2 year old) RGG studio XL wet palette. I use primarily Games Workshop paints along with a few Army Painter and Vallejos. 

I'm wondering if this is time to switch to the other foam absorbent pad that came with it?

Edited by Helias_Tancred

I can't say I've noticed that (mine's the original one).

The foam is mould-resistant not mould-proof so if you leave it for long enough you will have an issue, although "long enough" depends on environment and luck. I thought I'd cleaned mine when I hadn't and left it for 3 months - it was literally full of mould (which is why people put copper things in the tray - copper being an anti-microbial).

I'd have thought if you had mould, it would be visible as black spots on the sponge, though?

Posted (edited)

Yes I am.

I also just did a full on wash with Dawn of the palette and the foam rubber pad, then a bleach+water mix soak for an hour.

Maybe I should start using distilled water instead?

1 hour ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

I can't say I've noticed that (mine's the original one).

The foam is mould-resistant not mould-proof so if you leave it for long enough you will have an issue, although "long enough" depends on environment and luck. I thought I'd cleaned mine when I hadn't and left it for 3 months - it was literally full of mould (which is why people put copper things in the tray - copper being an anti-microbial).

I'd have thought if you had mould, it would be visible as black spots on the sponge, though?

Nope. It looks as clean as the day I got it. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

Distilled water is definitely the way to go to help with that. Copper pennies (pre-1982) or even some copper sheeting (needs to be actual copper though and not just coated) under the sponge can help. There is a company out there (the name escapes me) who makes copper corner pieces specifically for wet pallets. But also, just don't let it sit for multiple days. Paint is going to start becoming unusable after a time anyway as it separates and depending on the environment you live in, you are just asking for trouble the longer you let it sit. 

Posted (edited)

OP i hope you understand that a wet Palette isnt intended to keep your paints fresh for days.

Wet palettes are intended to keep your paints useable for a session of few hours.

I always do a new setup with kitchen towels instead of a sponge everytime i start painting.

It may seems wastefull but mould spores are acumulating even before you see mould on the sponge.

Edit: 

I recommend cleaning your wet palette with vinegar and hot water every few months.

Edited by Bung

Posted (edited)

They advertise themselves as being able to keep your paint good for a couple days. 

But yes, I learned the truth from years of experience. This is the first one that has generated an odor. I used the sta-wet palette before. It was cheap on Amazon but good. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

• 2 weeks later...