Is there even a reason to avoid non-GW models/parts anymore?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Emurian said:

No Like I stated these come from Mortianshop a small German company. So they are not GW models. This is their main battle tank.

Ahh I see.
I guess Mortianshop are using "not Macharius"-tanks as the foundation for their main battle tank. :tongue:

Edited by Minsc

Not really, no. A few years ago GW's edge in quality and the dearth of alternative sources of models that *fit* in with the existing range was a lot less. Now that my own home 3d printer set-up can get quality approaching, or in some cases probably exceeding, the average GW product; to say nothing of the actual professionals, (My parts don't get made on worn out molds) 3d party manufacturers bringing a huge selection of alternative designs that evoke the universe without being direct 1to1 copies, and GW's own half-aborted redesign of specifically the marine line means I have little qualms about using alternative models to my hearts content. I refuse to pay GW more than I have to for an entire army redesign that nobody wanted, when a rescale would've been just fine, but wouldn't have made the shareholders *enough* money.

When you combo all the above with the fact that GW officially runs effectively 0 games near me, since I'm in the middle of the states, and don't plan on traveling to the major tournaments that MIGHT have a problem with the 3d printed stuff I have that isn't a direct copy, the odds of it ever being an issue for me is basically nil. I think the closest actual GW store is in Memphis, which is just over 3 hours away. And of the stuff that IS a direct copy, once I put paint on them you'd never be able to tell without scrapping paint off them, or try and break a little piece off and realize it doesn't snap as easily as plastic, lol.  The modern ABS style resins have some absolutely crazy resilience.

20 hours ago, roryokane said:

"You were luck to have a cloth!"

But the sentiment is correct.

I have reached the age where I now one hundred percent embrace that meme on a daily basis along with as many Uncle Albert quotes as I can squeeze in while doing so. I can now credibly say "When I were a lad..." and it's awesome! I'm gradually building up to being the old man that sits alone in the corner of the pub muttering to myself how great Rogue Trader was back in my day. :biggrin:

I think the whole lingering stigma of using third party company bits was in part down to the Chapterhouse debacle along with GW's policies of only GW models in stores that has created this mentality of not using them or entirely different models. Both reasons are understandable but at the same time it's a shame it's such a widespread way of thinking these days.

I think it circles back to what I was saying many a time of late, GW brand of tabletop gaming is now pretty divorced from the original concept of wargaming and has become it's own thing, but it doesn't mean that we have to be and we are free to approach our hobby how we want.

Posted (edited)

A noble tradition indeed!

Ironically my most 'accurate' painted army in terms of heraldry is also the one that might get me banned from official channels - all my Storm Lords have 3d printed chapter and squad icons. The icon was half the reason I chose the army (that and halved scheme lol) but I was danged if I was going to paint all those lightning bolts and I don't favor transfers. Has added about 200 local dollar equivalents to the overall price over the years but it was super fun commissioning Pop to do their icon.

My drukhari coven and court stuff is mostly weird fish and fishpeople from various and sundry sources because I wanted Deep Ones themed eldar and didn't really go in for the full hellrazor vibe.

I'm starting armies more frequently in AoS these days, but most of those have a good chunk of third party stuff to save a few bucks, but also to give some room to play with conversions. In general I'll use even unconverted AoS stuff in my 40k armies where I like the vibe, and most of my AoS armies indeed started with minis that I brought through the portal because they were good alternates for stuff like cultists and... actually mostly just cultists lol.

These days if I'm starting a new army I will nearly always find one or two offerings from other companies to make the bread and butter units a less expensive. Heck - even choosing Necromunda stuff over 40k can sometimes save you money and be arguably better than the 40k kits.

Basically, buy minis that you think are worth the money and time for whatever use you have in mind. There's lots of great value stuff out there aside from James.

All that said, I think GW is frankly crushing it these days. I buy their stuff because it actually is very high quality. I know I'm paying a premium from them, and that 3rd party stuff will often be somewhat compromised in one way or another to hit that lower price per unit.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Edited by Dr. Clock
repetition

Even at WHW: Some years ago now a colleague of mine had an army that was full of converted/garage-casted bits. The staff there loved it so much it went into the display cabinets for a while.

I think if you don't try and make an issue of it, the staff in any GW are just hobbyists like anyone else. The only complaints you are likely to receive are from people with loads of shares in GW I guess? Or at least those that act like they have.

13 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

Even at WHW: Some years ago now a colleague of mine had an army that was full of converted/garage-casted bits. The staff there loved it so much it went into the display cabinets for a while.

I think if you don't try and make an issue of it, the staff in any GW are just hobbyists like anyone else. The only complaints you are likely to receive are from people with loads of shares in GW I guess? Or at least those that act like they have.

The local armies on parade winner had loads of scratch built/ 3rd party/ sale model stuff in it 

On 7/9/2024 at 2:29 AM, Minsc said:

Ahh I see.
I guess Mortianshop are using "not Macharius"-tanks as the foundation for their main battle tank. :tongue:

iirc the guy behind Mortian is an ex-forgeworld designer who had a hand in designing the Macharius. Though might be the last part is apocryphal.

2 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

iirc the guy behind Mortian is an ex-forgeworld designer who had a hand in designing the Macharius. Though might be the last part is apocryphal.

No credits for him in Imperial Armour or on the OG webstore.
Daren Parrwood is credited as the designer. I figure Cottrell and Kinrade would be doing any directing, so I'm not sure where Markus Ortenburger would have fit in.

image.thumb.png.97961f5033054c7e16d7ad33165ccac3.png

image.thumb.png.43f743ca66eea8131a9c6005dc37ccd9.png