How Do Blood Angels Handle Primarchs in 10th?

As the title says, how do we go about dealing with the following when they appear on the opposite side of the board?

• Angron
  • Lion El'Johnson
  • Magnus
  • Mortarion
  • Roboute Guilliman

Edited by Jolemai

I think that the Loyalist Primarchs need handling slightly differently to the Chaos ones. The Chaos Primarchs are effectively just another big monster and can be handled with our usual anti-monster/anti-vehicle tools. Beyond that, each of the Chaos Primarchs functions differently in their army and I think merits special discussion on how to handle them but that is not specific to BAs.

Angron often functions as a massive distraction Carnifex. Opponent's throw him into combat quickly to try and attract the opponent's firepower while the rest of the army closes the range. As a good melee army ourselves, the best tactic is not to rise to the bait. Focus shooting on the rest of the army which actually does a lot of the heavy lifting. Screen with cheap units like Scouts, let Angron eat a chaff unit and then Countercharge the unsupported Primarch. 10 VanVets with Priest, Captain and Red Rampage should put 10-11 Wounds on Angron plus whatever the Character can put out. If they have inferno pistols, they will normally add a few Wounds into the mix. If you have a few Stormshields, then he will be unlikely to kill the squad either.

Mortarion is much tougher than Angron but also a lot less deadly as his sweep attack is only 1 Damage so he will not go through Marine squads as fast as his angry brother. His 5+++ does make him tougher to shift than curry stains on a white shirt though. Because of his reduced lethality, your best bet may actually be to ignore him. Try to tarpit him as best you can with any unit with an Invulnerable save and focus on killing the rest of the army.

Magnus is a bit of a glass cannon. He shoots hard but is not too hard to kill. Soften up with anti-tank weapons and finish off with a glorious charge.

Loyalist Primarchs are a bit more tricky as they will usually be wandering around with Lone Operative which makes them hard to target.  You can always try smoking the squads nearby and then turning your guns on them but that can be easier said than done if they have a squad of BGVs or Terminators nearby.

Edited by Karhedron

Pretty hard to add to DSGs advice and Karhedon breaks down the primarch specific issues.

As tools specifically hellblasters are great against primarchs but suffer against armour of contempt more due to low volumes.

Will add the Sanguinor in as a big solution. He's probably not going to win the fight (especially without technically charging) but you can kill off the primarch pretty easy with minimal resources next turn. Should, in theory, also make them a bit more cautious with their primarch.

Then there's sacrifice of the angel for that play as well of he fails to wound much.

Only primarch I really fear is the Lion, as it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

5 turn game = max 5 units they can kill in melee. I wouldn't charge them unless I was sure of the going first and the kill, as that's another combat phase they have to kill a unit, unless I really need to lock them down from attacking another one of my more valuable units. 

With Angron's ability to come back, I wouldn't spend too much energy on killing him, kill the rest and outscore the opponent.