Boarding Actions Supplement

Glad to see it hasn't been left to rot.

c6ThNWW9M3KavkxB.jpg

Plunge back into the world of door-to-door firefights and desperate charges with Warhammer 40,000: Boarding Actions, a hefty new compendium rammed with fully updated rules and missions for the current edition. This book refreshes dozens of missions from the Arks of Omen series, including both narrative and competitive options as well as larger multiplayer games for up to four people.

Glad to see them take another look at boarding actions, played quite a bit of it during 9th with family and enjoyed it quite a bit. The initial rules they came out with when 10th dropped seemed very perfunctory so I hope they've made a proper go of it this time around. Looking forward to this book.

There have been a few boarding patrol scenarios in recent Whate Dwarf issues. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these ended up being collated.

I like the idea of 500pts forces too -

Main billing goes to the complete list of Boarding Actions Detachments for every faction in the game

I probably have the beginnings of some boarding patrol forces from my Kill Teams that I could easily expanded to this level for some big 40K fun and already have the terrain thanks to the Gallowdark KT season.

My narrative group was just talking about how we could integrate "Indoor spaces" into a game; a building that can be entered by infantry and fought while a bigger fight with tanks/heavy weapons happening "Outside".  Basically two boards, one board where it's the interior of a large building, and the other board as that building and it's surrounding area.

Slightly updated rules might make this a distinct possibility.  Very happy to see this.

This makes me very happy :biggrin:

I really like that they’re keeping detachment structure. It helps make the game read as a 40k game mode rather than some form of Combat Patrol… and I hope this replaces Combat Patrol in some ways.

Edited by jaxom

This is great because it puts non-combat patrol, 500 point games back on the table. This is probably my favourite game size. Like @DemonGSides, I see this is great split battle campaigning. I like that every army gets at least two detachments; I won't be surprised when Space Marines are revealed to be the only army that has more than two detachments. At this point, marines getting more of everything is so normalized that it isn't even a headline.

I do wish the book included just some minimal Crusade extras designed specifically for Boarding Parties. and perhaps an optional campaign system. Still probably going to pick this up. I slow rolled into 10th- never bothered with the BRB, just the Tyrranic War Crusade book. Held off on Codices too; got the Tau because it was in the Kroot Box, and just picked up the Sisters dex.

But now there's this, and Pariah Crusade, and the GSC dex... Hopefully Agents up next.

1 hour ago, jaxom said:

This makes me very happy :biggrin:

I really like that they’re keeping detachment structure. It helps make the game read as a 40k game mode rather than some form of Combat Patrol… and I hope this replaces Combat Patrol in some ways.

I think it's an easy thing to move towards once you've exhausted Combat Patrol.  They do slightly different things (CP Being fully set up wrt army is a huge departure even from what this game wants), so there's definitely room for both.

Combat Patrol to introduce, Boarding Action once people want to start with a bit of customization without having to invest in expensive vehicles or full expensive armies, then the full game once they're ready.  A good lil treadmill.

Edited by DemonGSides

24 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

This is great because it puts non-combat patrol, 500 point games back on the table. This is probably my favourite game size. Like @DemonGSides, I see this is great split battle campaigning. I like that every army gets at least two detachments; I won't be surprised when Space Marines are revealed to be the only army that has more than two detachments. At this point, marines getting more of everything is so normalized that it isn't even a headline.

I do wish the book included just some minimal Crusade extras designed specifically for Boarding Parties. and perhaps an optional campaign system. Still probably going to pick this up. I slow rolled into 10th- never bothered with the BRB, just the Tyrranic War Crusade book. Held off on Codices too; got the Tau because it was in the Kroot Box, and just picked up the Sisters dex.

But now there's this, and Pariah Crusade, and the GSC dex... Hopefully Agents up next.

I have to agree. I really like the 500 points. It's good for starting out or starting a new army. Getting 500 pts together isn't as daunting as looking at 2k points or 1k / 1.5k which is all fairly common. So 500 points is a good jump off in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, macradam_hue said:

Would be really excited if they redid the Boarding Patrol boxes with this - I missed them first time round as I was travelling. Would be quite a few I'd pick up given the chance.

The value that most of them brought for their price point was legitimately insane considering GW's current pricing practices.

I'd love to get another crack at a few myself.

43 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

The value that most of them brought for their price point was legitimately insane considering GW's current pricing practices.

Too true, and I sympathize with the frater and sistren who missed out. FOMO etc etc

6 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Hopefully with a bit more stock this time, there were a bunch that my FLGS only got 1 copy of, and best case they got 3. 

11 hours ago, SvenIronhand said:

These have always interested me, but buying specialized terrain has always put me off. 

Maybe I should just nut up and make some. 

GW's costs are a bit high, I got my box because I traded in a bunch of old Magic cards. Otherwise I would never pay their terrain prices.

That being said, it's really good terrain.