Nostalgia is not what it used to be

I can’t even imagine playing larger games of HH than you could reasonably do in V1.0. I’d play something like 2,000 point games with Spartans full of Terminators and stuff and that seemed like an insane amount of models on the board. I haven’t looked into v2.0 because I know it’s imported some of the maligned (to me) rules from 8th Ed on, but it blows my mind that they’ve lowered the points so much more to make you purchase more models. I guess it shouldn’t, though. 

On 7/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, ThePenitentOne said:

Why are you playing 2k points?

Because for many, the vast vast vast majority in my experience, you play the 'assumed standard' which is also the 'tournament prep standard' or you dont play.

Fringe alternative modes are fringe.

7 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

I can’t even imagine playing larger games of HH than you could reasonably do in V1.0. I’d play something like 2,000 point games with Spartans full of Terminators and stuff and that seemed like an insane amount of models on the board. I haven’t looked into v2.0 because I know it’s imported some of the maligned (to me) rules from 8th Ed on, but it blows my mind that they’ve lowered the points so much more to make you purchase more models. I guess it shouldn’t, though. 

2E has its quirks, but it's generally fun. They've changed a few things, some for the better, some perhaps not. You have movement speed on the datasheet now, they generally nerfed the AP values of blast weapons, they added things called reactions, which aren't really strategems, so not quite 8E rules, they changed the weapon skill chart to make it more brutal to have a disparity, bumped wounds on some elite units, bumped up some transport capacity and a few other things. Other than that, it's still relatively the same basis that 1E was, USRs are mostly the same, Rites of War are still there, Consuls, etc.

One of the things I liked with the Siege of Cthonia missions was that they have a fixed cap of five turns, which makes it really nice to get games played in a reasonable amount of time. They're my go-to right now when I want to get a game played in a timely manner.

I wouldn't call it better than 1E, but I don't think I'd call it worse either. The modeling and kit landscape is vastly better with the new plastic kits though, with even Solar Auxilia and soon Mechanicum getting a plastic range, so overall it's a better experience in those regards.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

8 hours ago, Scribe said:

Because for many, the vast vast vast majority in my experience, you play the 'assumed standard' which is also the 'tournament prep standard' or you dont play.

Fringe alternative modes are fringe.

In the local pick up group it actually looks like 1k is the more standard for "Im just looking to roll some dice.". There's plenty of interest at 2k as well, but I think (at least locally) there's a lot of push back against the competitive only mindset. 

YMMV