Timing of shooting abilites.

ExeterOborach
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Ikka,

Hello everyone, 

So  my Tau Breacher team with attached Fireblade target a unit with one model in Objective range. The Fireblade shoots first (maybe a mistake) and kills a model. My opponent removes the 1 model within objective range. 

My question is: do my Breachers still get to use the  Breach and Clear rule ( reroll wounds against enemy unit within Objective range) if that 1 enemy model was removed before they shoot?

I'm not sure since the models in a firing unit can still shoot even if the 1 visible/ in range model in the target unit is removed before they shoot. Like all shots from one unit happen simultaneously since you declare them all before firing. 

Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, ExeterOborach said:

Hello everyone, 

So  my Tau Breacher team with attached Fireblade target a unit with one model in Objective range. The Fireblade shoots first (maybe a mistake) and kills a model. My opponent removes the 1 model within objective range. 

My question is: do my Breachers still get to use the  Breach and Clear rule ( reroll wounds against enemy unit within Objective range) if that 1 enemy model was removed before they shoot?

I'm not sure since the models in a firing unit can still shoot even if the 1 visible/ in range model in the target unit is removed before they shoot. Like all shots from one unit happen simultaneously since you declare them all before firing. 

Thanks. 

image.png.ab68388c421682b3166c0fc6ba1d67c7.png

I believe you still would get Breach and Clear as it's still the same unit shooting at the same target as you would if you were firing another model in the unit that had a different weapon. A Leader model is considered to be part of the unit for all intents and purposes.

If you had an ability that let a unit shoot again, you would need to re-look at line of sight, eligible targets etc as I think you'd essentially count it as a new unit shooting (If I'm remembering rightly from the big FAQ thing)

• Solution

All models in a unit fire at the same time, so any effects will continue throughout that attack. Same with the defending unit- if, for example, a model gives their unit a FNP, then even if that model dies to the first attack the FNP continues unit all of the attacks from that specific attacking unit are done.

11 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

All models in a unit fire at the same time, so any effects will continue throughout that attack. Same with the defending unit- if, for example, a model gives their unit a FNP, then even if that model dies to the first attack the FNP continues unit all of the attacks from that specific attacking unit are done.

Oh dang, really? 

We've been playing it the opposite regarding the defending unit as in when the character dies it's abilities turn off immediately.