Codex: Imperial Agents + Coteaz Reveal + Chamber Militant Battleforces

1 hour ago, ZeroWolf said:

It would also be ignoring all the brilliant stuff that's come out for 40k since the start of 10th (and probably still to come). I mean, look at the Kroot refresh for example.

If anything, 40k got this lull because probably the more senior designers got to go wild with AoS 4th edition and other assorted games. The pendulum will swing back, it always does.

I think that hits the nail on the head.
Given what we've seen with the new Age of Sigmar range, the Old World character models, and the latest necromunda release, it's pretty clear the focus isn't on 40k right now.
I would strongly suspect that a larger autumn or winter release will come out with a more impressive model range, especially when we're awaiting a new army like Emperor's Children.

12 hours ago, foxlight713 said:

I'm gonna have to put a pin on this post and steal that idea for my diy space wolves chapter, and maybe get a second one for an inquisitor conversion for my sisters.

Here's my Primaris Wolves thread and how he was built, plus more finished pics from different angles:

7 minutes ago, spiros14 said:

I think that hits the nail on the head.
Given what we've seen with the new Age of Sigmar range, the Old World character models, and the latest necromunda release, it's pretty clear the focus isn't on 40k right now.
I would strongly suspect that a larger autumn or winter release will come out with a more impressive model range, especially when we're awaiting a new army like Emperor's Children.

A nice big (DA size) Blood Angels release at the end of summer would be nice!

The winter stuff probably won’t come until after the holidays due to the limited Christmas boxes. 

2 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

On the other hand there's been dozens of pretty great models coming around in the same timeframe. The new Chaos stuff is pretty good, most of the new Kroot models are excellent, the revamp of scouts and terminators are really good. The dark angels, eldar and tyranids revamp are mostly brilliant models, etc. etc. 

Doesn't make the fans of Agents, Deathwatch, Custodes or Marines who don't like Desolators (so everyone deep down :laugh:) feel any better though.

4 hours ago, casb1965 said:

Agents of the Imperium didn't need a large amount of new models though,  everything had already been released in Kill Team.

Inquisitorial Agents, Arbites, Navy Breachers, Kasrkin (for Stormtroopers), Rogue Traders, it's all there.

And if anyone wanted a "generic" Inquisitor pray tell what does one look like? You'd need twenty plus models just to cover the Inquisitors described in the Eisenhorn trilogy.

But they did need stuff.

Inquisitor henchmen, Judges and additional squads and support for Arbites, priests and religious zealots... there's plenty that could have been done.

And if it is correct that nothing was needed, then the 1 model they did release being gar-barge is just awful.

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

Doesn't make the fans of Agents, Deathwatch, Custodes or Marines who don't like Desolators (so everyone deep down :laugh:) feel any better though.

Eh, I'm sure marine players will live as they've had some 20plus other releases in the same timeframe most of which are received to great acclaim. There's also alternatives for the inquisitors released.

Custodes are the only ones who I feel are left out a bit (but I'm biased). Maybe it's because all the other models they have are just SO good that the new shield captain just pales in comparison. :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, Matcap86 said:

Eh, I'm sure marine players will live as they've had some 20plus other releases in the same timeframe most of which are received to great acclaim. There's also alternatives for the inquisitors released.

Custodes are the only ones who I feel are left out a bit (but I'm biased). Maybe it's because all the other models they have are just SO good that the new shield captain just pales in comparison. :biggrin:

Plus i reckon that Custodes will be getting a range refresh in the near future (GW don't like putting out too many range refreshes out at once apparently. I'm betting it has to do with factory output).  

Also love how people bring up desolation marines as if they were a recent release and not a kit designed before 2020, released a year and a half ago. You guys are going to have to let it go at some point :laugh:

5 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Plus i reckon that Custodes will be getting a range refresh in the near future (GW don't like putting out too many range refreshes out at once apparently. I'm betting it has to do with factory output).  

A good avenue for custodians to be refreshed would also be 30k.

34 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Also love how people bring up desolation marines as if they were a recent release and not a kit designed before 2020, released a year and a half ago. You guys are going to have to let it go at some point :laugh:

Every kit is designed long before it releases. This is not new news. However, people can only start disliking a crappy mini from the time they first see it, so maybe GW should have released the concept art back in 2018 so people could "let it go" by the correct date. :laugh:

Desolation Marines are ridiculous models btw. Although nothing compares to the unholy abomination that is the Suppressors kit.

7 hours ago, appiah4 said:

MW Minis had this on Ig I think, and it's an interesting angle: Why is the Eagle on a seperate base?  Could it be because it is a model that has specific rules, and can move separately?  If so, that would also completely ruin the "Use the old Coteaz" argument as well..

I think that's a bit "cart before the horse".

Which is to say, while sculptors will have a grip on the rules, and often make stuff with them in the back of their head, their focus is on making cool models. It's then up to the rules team to do something with those models.

If Coteaz has new rules for an independently acting psyber-eagle, it's as a result of the model having a separate base for the psyber-eagle. The psyber-eagle was not sculpted to be independent because someone in the rules team came up with an idea for it to act independently. 

Sculptors do, rules writers deal, fiction is infinitely mutable.

Edited by LSM

Desolators didn't look great, but the Brutalis Dreadnought and the various character releases since, including the Lion, have been excellent. 

I don't see any downward trend in terms of model quality. There are a few duds, and there are some greats. Nothing has really changed.

oof. That model is bad. Objectively bad. That looks like some of the press cast models from 15 years ago. Someone phoned it in on this one. Who on earth would spend $35+ for that model? Even the paint job is bland. Its on the level of what I could do. I get they didn't have much to work with, but its not very convincing for the price tag.

I'm wondering about Shadow Operations. 

They have a lot of potential, but there's so many ways GW could go, and the article didn't give much detail. Each Op could be a self-contained engagement- perhaps a bespoke mission. Or they could be more like Spec Ops from Kill Team: achieve x Agenda Y times as you close in your target; achieve z Agenda in a culminating battle. There may be one per detachment, or a few per detachment. 

Ashes of Faith's Campaign system was excellent, and it would be easy to repurpose and modify to work with 40k Crusade; I'm hoping that Shadow Operations either take cues from AoF or that they can slot easily into the AoF framework.