1,500 point Space Wolf list for my son

d503

Hi, I am just getting my 8 year old son into wargaming, and I am making him a list based primarily off the combat patrols and the units floating round cheaply from the leviathan box.  We play Legions Imperialis (again, Space Wolves for him) and his favourite bits are 'robots and drop pods'.

Here is the list:  

Lieutenant in Reiver armour + 10x hounds of Morkai
Librarian in Phobos armour + 3 eliminators with las-fusils
10 intercessors in a drop pod
10 intercessors in a drop pod
10 infernus marines in a drop pod
Invictor tactical warsuit with autocannon
Invictor tactical warsuit with autocannon
Ballistus dreadnaught
(1500 points)

Is this a reasonable place for him to start from in building a collection?  Or is this just a liability that would get annihilated the first time he plays against anyone who won't go easy on him like I will?

Thanks for the advice - I would also like some ideas about what to buy next, or where to expand from here.  No resin, plastic only for him as he is still young.  I would prefer new/primaris kits, as I want to avoid the 'legends' bin.

D503

Hello, that is a mixed list and may struggle with anyone not prepared to go easy on him. It has a lot of plain bodies but is a bit lacking in terms of heavy firepower or heavy melee output. Also Drop Pods are not great in the current edition so 3 definitely seems overkill. 1 Drop Pod for the Infernus Marines is ample. You would probably struggle to find enough board in the mid-field to deploy 3 Pods and their squads.

Invictors do not seem to be a great unit in 10th, I would look to swap at least one out for another flavour of Dreadnought (the Redemptor is very good IMHO). I would also look to reduce the number of Intercessors and maybe bring in some units with better durability and melee output. Bladeguard Veterans with a Character like Ragnar might be a good choice.

Posted (edited)

Okay, new list.  I spoke to him and he is willing to sacrifice drop pods for better robots

Ragnar Blackmane + 6 Bladeguard veterans

Lieutenant, frost weapon, + 10 intercessors

3 Eliminators with Las-fusils

5 hounds of morkai

5 incursors

5 incursors

Ballistus dreadnaught

Invictor war suit with autocannons

Redemptor dreadnaught with plasma incinerator

Brutalis dreadnaught with multimeltas

(1495 points)

Thanks for the help, I have only played 2 games of 10th edition, and before that didn't play since 7th.  I forgot to add, this list has to pack down into a suitcase for a flight, so dreadnaughts are better than tanks

Edited by d503