Heavy + For the Greater Good.

Hi everybody. 

Had a game with my Tau and was going to fire with my Broadsides with their Heavy Rail Rifles. Since they didn't move they were going to get the +1 to hit for Heavy. 

My question is: 

Since they are BS 4 and they remained stationary while being Guided from The Greater Good rule wouldn't that mean they'd be hitting on 2s? 

My opponent said they wouldn't because you can't get better than +1 to a Hit roll. So never better than 3s. 

I told him that the Greater Good rule just improves the BS of the unit instead of adding a modifier.  

Who is correct? 

Thanks. 

You can only modify to Hit/to Wound rolls by a maximum of +/- 1 (after all modifiers are totaled). However, modifications to stats like BS or WS are not modifiers to a roll. So, as an example- 

Broadside Unit fires at target A.

Broadside natural BS is 4+.

Broadside unit is Guided by friendly unit B against target A, thus changing their BS to 3+.

Broadside weapon is Heavy and unit hasn't moved, giving a +1 modifier to their to Hit roll.

With no other modifiers, the Broadside's now hit on a 2+.

14 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

You can only modify to Hit/to Wound rolls by a maximum of +/- 1 (after all modifiers are totaled). However, modifications to stats like BS or WS are not modifiers to a roll. So, as an example- 

Broadside Unit fires at target A.

Broadside natural BS is 4+.

Broadside unit is Guided by friendly unit B against target A, thus changing their BS to 3+.

Broadside weapon is Heavy and unit hasn't moved, giving a +1 modifier to their to Hit roll.

With no other modifiers, the Broadside's now hit on a 2+.

Yeah. This is how I was thinking.