=][= SIGNATURE CLEANUP TIME =][=

The rules for signatures have been updated. You can see the full rules here, but here's a summary of the changes:

• Text line count has been reduced from 10 to 5; if you use anything larger than 16 point font, that maximum line count will be lower than 5 (based on 80/font size, rounded down)
  • References to BBCode now refer to formatting options (and remove those options that are no longer available)
  • Non-compliance will result in signatures being edited/removed (as opposed to being put in the code BBCode tags, which are no longer available)

The main change was the first bullet, highlighted in yellow. The other changes were due to the loss of BBCode.

Why did we make this change?

Basically, we're seeing a lot of signatures taking up way too much vertical space, degrading the signal-to-noise ratio that our signature rules are intended to mitigate. The source of that vertical space is excessive text. Members that want to communicate about themselves (or whatever) are encouraged to use their About Me page, keeping their signatures lean.

But wait, there's more...

We're seeing a lot of broken image links in signatures. These, too, are "noise" and need to be fixed, either finding the correct URLs for the images or removing the broken links. It has been 2 years since the software upgrade and the breaking of the image links, more than long enough for everything to be fixed.

Members will have 2 weeks (from the date of this post) to adjust their signatures to comply with the updated rules.

FYI I still see 10 line limit in the signature edit mode. 

Thanks for that reminder. I've updated the settings so you should see the 5 line limit in the signature edit mode.