Known Problem - Some Formatting Options Disappeared

We (okay, it was @Xenith that noticed) recently noticed that the formatting toolbar is lacking two buttons: SPOILER and QUOTE (the spoiler button looked like an eye and the quote button was a closing quotation mark). These were default formatting options, not custom buttons that we created. I haven't found any documentation or discussion about these at the Invision site, but I'm still looking into it.

Suggested methods for achieving spoiler and quote effects in the meantime require a bit more effort and are sub-optimal, but will get the job done.

Spoiler:

Add "SPOILER:" before the text that you want to hide. Then select the text that you want to hide and give both the text and the background color the same color, preferably something that is neither white nor black/gray (white because that is the background color for users of the mobile theme and black/gray because that is the background color for users of the dark theme). Members can read the text by highlighting it. Here's an example:

SPOILER:

This text is hidden, but it can be read by highlighting it. The background color lets users know what to highlight.

Quote:

Use the Increase Indent formatting button, enclose the quoted text in quotation marks. Here's an example:

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."

-Albert Einstein

Yes, I know those methods both require a lot more time and effort than the buttons on the toolbar, and they don't look half as cool as the toolbar results (i.e., they suck). We're working on restoring the lost buttons.

I think it was @Machine God who discovered it, so no credit to me, and hope it helps, but down in the RPG Nook...

Our Spoiler Tags [spoiler ] and [/spoiler ] (BBC Code? I dunno, the only handle I care about is a pistol grip) work, but they don't 'nest' properly.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Test [/qoute]

As with [spoiler ] text [/spoiler ] (witout the spaces) I think it should work with

. It is the same logic and definatly did work in the past that way. If it still works the above "Test" should be in a quote when i submit this reply. 

---

Edit: ok something works, but I messed up due to a typo. 

Lets try the above bit again,

Test

As with [spoiler ] text [/spoiler ] (witout the spaces) I think it should work with 

It is the same logic and definatly did work in the past that way. If it still works the above "Test" should be in a quote when i submit this reply. 

---

Edit the second, 

Ok so quote function can be made to work similar to [spoiler ] [/spoiler ] (without the space)  but if you type [ then quote then ] even with a space it partially works or some such. hence why the above keeps on comming out wierd and cutting out some of the text. 

<quote> text </quote> with the <and >  replaced by [ and ] works: 

Sample text

I’ll shut up now and leave it to the professionals as I clear don’t understand what is going on behind the scene other than some half remember bit of BBC formatting stuff from years ago.

---

Edit the tird, just an idea to test if it still works

I remember you could attribute quotes to people with something like this

<quote=Trokair> text </quote>

When I replace  <and > with [ and ] The results are:

text

Edit so that dose still quote but dose not add a this is who you quote bit like it used to. 

Let our hobby prayers be with our cleaver sacristans so that this can be restored properly. a Big thanks as awlays to the Mods and suport teams for keeping this place running. 

Edited by Trokair

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2024 at 5:38 PM, Indy Techwisp said:

Technically you can still quote by quoting another post and just editing what's in it

Of course, that's gonna look weird when the formatting is fixed tho.

Edit: ok something works, but I messed up due to a typo. 

Lets try the above bit again,

Both the quote and spoiler formatting buttons should appear in your toolbars now.

Spoiler

Note that these buttons appear for all devices. The top quote uses the quote button in a post, so it shows the post/author information. The bottom quote uses the quote button in the toolbar. This "paragraph" uses the spoiler button in the toolbar.

If you don't see either/both of these buttons, please reply here.