Would giving Plague Marine Bolters [Pistol] entice their use?

LSM

When I look at the Plague Marine unit, and then my models with Bolters, I feel a little regret.

I've been mulling over various ways that Bolters could gain more value, from tailored strats (I hope not) to split units (basic Plague Marines that are cheaper than Plague Marine "Trench Sweepers" - or what you will - that get to load up on options).

But a thought occurred to me. In the 2002 Codex, the Mark of Nurgle gave (among other things) True Grit, allowing a model to wield a Bolter as if it was a Bolt Pistol in close combat (and thus gaining +1 Attack). Now, the pistol + ccw bonus attack has left the game, replaced by pistols able to shoot while in engagement range, so... let Plague Marines do likewise?

"The Primarch of the Death Guard, Mortarion, trained his warriors to fight on foot relying on their bolters to cut down their enemies. Loyal to his teachings down the centuries Plague Marines have learned to use their bolters in close combat, a feat aided by their ability to absorb the ferocious recoil with their diseased bulk."

When I look at the Plague Marine unit, and then my models with Bolters, I feel a little regret.

I've been mulling over various ways that Bolters could gain more value, from tailored strats (I hope not) to split units (basic Plague Marines that are cheaper than Plague Marine "Trench Sweepers" - or what you will - that get to load up on options).

But a thought occurred to me. In the 2002 Codex, the Mark of Nurgle gave (among other things) True Grit, allowing a model to wield a Bolter as if it was a Bolt Pistol in close combat (and thus gaining +1 Attack). Now, the pistol + ccw bonus attack has left the game, replaced by pistols able to shoot while in engagement range, so... let Plague Marines do likewise?

"The Primarch of the Death Guard, Mortarion, trained his warriors to fight on foot relying on their bolters to cut down their enemies. Loyal to his teachings down the centuries Plague Marines have learned to use their bolters in close combat, a feat aided by their ability to absorb the ferocious recoil with their diseased bulk."

Bolters in Melee would probably be a Stratagem, I think.

Don't T'au get something similar? (That might be a 9th ed thing, idk.)

The fact they innately have Lethals is good already tho, it's just bad compared to the option to just fully load up on Special Weapons.

Maybe the bolters would benefit from the Plague Marine unit getting Less access to special weapons (like only 2-3 in a 10-man squad vs the current option to just take everything all at once) or from having the Melee stuff split out into it's own "Assault" unit, meaning you need some bolters in there anyway.

Either that or just adding something to a detachment that specifically boosts Bolt Weapons over any other choice.

Bolters in Melee would probably be a Stratagem, I think.

I'd hate for Bolter PMs' to get soft locked to a single detachment, though I guess it would be better.

Also, paying 1 CP for [Pistol] on Bolters wouldn't feel great when (for comparison) in Fellhammer Siege-Hosts all ranged weapons can get [Pistol] via Point Black Destruction for 1CP .

(And a like rule wouldn't then solve the problem of Bolters being a lesser seeming choice.)

Maybe... [Pistol] and 5+ Critical Hits? But then it's turning more into a once-a-game gimmick...

//

Oooor, how about getting rid of Plague Marine's "Remorseless" ability (add 1 to Battleshock tests when on an objective you control) and replacing it with True Grit - when on an objective your control, all Bolters gain the [Pistol] keyword.

Edited by LSM

Bolters have no value because they're AP- and loading up on them means less melee weapons and Special Weapons. 

Couple that with the fact wargear doesn't cost points and there's no incentive to keep them. Hell, you could give them Pistol + AP-1 and I still doubt people would use them. 

And that's the issue with powerlevel disguised as points.

I blame 8th and 9th edition overcosted wargear. The idea that guns had to be 5, 10 or 20 points on a 15 point model is wild. A flamer should only be a point or two over a bolter. Not 5 points like it was. Now that everything is free it's just the opposite issue.

Plaguemarines could have bolt pistols at some point, not 2nd Edition, but one of the other ones. I converted entire squads with bolt pistols, now they mainly sit on the shelf. I might use them as count as, but they probably will just sit there unless they do duty as Nurgle Renegades.