Heresy Thursday - Mechanicum Battle Group

Wow I want all of this! DAMN That looks great! Also hooray for an actual roadmap on what we can expect for 28/32mm mech!

Also: Wow does this again show that the initial marine tactical infantry was an outlier in sculpting quality. These look amazing and gives me hope for better variant armor marks infantry in the future. 

Edited by Matcap86

So trying to guess the division of models on sprues the Astartes Battlegroups had 1 Infantry set, 1 Support set, 1 Fast Attack set, 1 Rhino (Transport) set and 1 Kratos (big Tank) set.
The Auxilia Battlegroup had 1 Infantry, 1 Support, 1 Dracoson (Transport), 1 Leman Russ set (small Tank) and 1 Super Heavy set (big Tank)

Based on this the Mechanicum box should also have 5 individual kits. 
The Triaros should be the Transport set and the Thanatar should be the equivalent to the big tank sets from the other Battlegroups. 
I'm guessing the Tech-Priest Auxilia, Tech-Thralls, Thallax and Myrmidons of both types and the Domitars are the Infantry set, not sure about the Domitar but the others also have the Contemptor/Sentinel inside so would make sense and they are all grouped together in the image.
The Arlatax, Vorax, Castellax and Ursarax could be the Support set equivalent as a "robot" set and the Archmagos is probably part of this set since the Infantry set would be pretty big if he is part of that one.
That leaves the Vultarax for the last set but only two of those would be pretty small so maybe they are part of the Support bot set and the 8x Thanatars are instead 2x sets of 4x Thanatars for the final 5x sets?

Either that or the Vultarax and Vorax are a set together since the text above says these two range ahead of the main force so a Fast Attack equivalent box?

Also new Thanatar arm weapons right?

Edited by Matrindur

I’ve recently been debating starting a small SA group to get a little bit of a break from Astartes, but now that I’ve seen this I’m definitely reconsidering… I have to wonder if we’ll see Forge Workd specific rules akin to the Astartes or if it’ll all just be a big conglomerate like the Auxilia. It does make me wonder what’s next as far as books go, I was under the impression that Tallarn is just the opening act of that conflict, yet if these are released that’ll be a completely different setting in HH

Battlegroups for Astartes and Solar Auxilia have 70 models/stands whereas I count 56 models here (52 stands + 4 Triaros).

My guess is that this will be a smaller format than the battlegroup boxes, with the equivalent of 4 individual boxes.

Infantry equivalent, 26 stands:

• Tech-Priest Auxilia (2)
  • Adsecularis Tech-Thrall Covenant (10)
  • Thallax Cohort (8)
  • Myrmidon Secutor Host (2)
  • Myrmidon Destructor Host (4)

Support equivalent, combining all battle-automata models, 18 stands (just 2  Vorax and 2 Vultarax seem quite low for one single sprue of fast attack alone imho)

• Archmagos Prime on Abeyant (2)
  • Domitar Battle-Automata Maniple (2)
  • Castellax Battle-Automata Maniple (4)
  • Ursarax Cohort (4)
  • Arlatax Battle-Automata Maniple (2)
  • Vorax Battle-Automata Maniple (2)
  • Vultarax Stratos-Automata Squadron (2)

Tank equivalent, 8 stands:

• Thanatar Siege-Automata Maniple (8)

Heavy tank equivalent, 4 models:

• Triaros (4)

That is pure speculation of course. Wait & see ...

Edit: In view of the number of actual models per stand, this might even be 3 boxes, Infantry, Battle-Automata (combining "Support" and "Tank" equivalents here above together), and Triaros.

Edited by Mendi Warrior