Reactions, Reputation, and Reputation Level

Brother Tyler

REACTIONS

Reactions provide one way for members to quickly engage with other community members, letting them know what you think of content that they have submitted.

Agree.gif Agree (i.e., you agree with one or more points/arguments that the member made)

Haha.gif Haha (i.e., the member said something that you think is funny)

Like.gif Like (i.e., you like the content that the member submitted)

Love.gif Love (i.e., you love the content that the member submitted)

429578450_RespectfullyDisagree.gif Respectfully disagree (i.e., you disagree with one or more points/arguments that the member made)

Thanks.gif Thanks (i.e., you are thanking the member for saying/providing content that is useful to you or the community)

Ideally, you will use the reactions to engage with other members in a constructive manner, using them in addition to replying in the discussion. People don't always have a lot of time to compose well-crafted replies, however, so reactions also provide a handy way to provide feedback when time is limited.

If the staff determines that a member is using reactions inappropriately - most likely using the Haha reaction to insult another member - the member giving the reaction may be subject to disciplinary action for abusive behavior.

The system tracks the reactions that members give to other members' content and it is possible to earn achievement badges and achievement points for engaging with the community in this way. You can see more information here.

Every time you give a reaction to another member, they earn 1 reputation point. The only exception to this is when you assign the "Respectfully disagree" reaction.

REPUTATION LEVEL

Every member has a reputation level that serves as a rough indicator of how often other members of the community have reacted favorably to their content contributions. A member's reputation level is based on the total number of reputation points they have earned from reactions they have received (and as modified based on Discipline) and is automatically calculated by the system. The values shown in parenthesis below indicate the minimum number of reputation points for the corresponding level.

Bad (-20)

Poor (-10)

Neutral (0)

Good (20)

Very Good (75)

Excellent (225)

Outstanding (675)

Noteworthy (2,025)

DISCIPLINE

Reactions, reputation points, and reputation level equate to imaginary Internet points, but they also represent a member's overall contributions to the site. Reputation level confers a certain level of prestige, so misbehaving (i.e., continually violating the community rules) will result in a loss of that prestige.

• Reactions will never be rescinded as part of disciplinary action - reactions represent feedback from other members of the community and will not be taken away from members.
  • Reputation points may be removed as a result of repeat offenses (total number of offenses). Loss of reputation points may incur a reduction in reputation level.
  • Reputation points may also be removed if a member is permanently banned.

You can see details here.