Is there a way to get rid of shaking hands while painting?

Not a pro by any means, but my hands do shake. The key is to position your hands so that they are resting on something while you paint. Think of it like when you rest your hand on paper when writing with a pen and pencil.

This video has a great quick example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6la8xtHkCE

I recommend bracing the inside of your wrists together; and if possible, touching pinky tips together.

This. Wrists together.

Massively, massively stabilises the hands. If you can, once your wrists are touching, try rotate your wrists into each other as well.

Also works if you ever shoot a belt fed machine off a bipod, for what it’s worth…

I'm no pro, but I shall humbly offer up the old dog biscuit that my advice equates to!

If you don't already do so, I'd recommended using a painting handle. A comfortable, relaxed grip on something with an ergonomic shape will ease the tension in your hand and wrist, granting you greater dexterity and control over objects in your hand. Aside from professionally designed handles by GW and other hobby manufacturers, there's all sorts of ways you can create your own handle at home. No doubt some of our cunning brethren here can share some wisdom involving blu tack or adhesive tape.

In a similar vein, the shape and thickness of your brush handle is also something to consider - brushes with handles that are excessively thick or drastically thin will put a lot of strain on your fingers while you paint. It's always worth trying brushes from different manufacturers when you get the chance, as you might find the slightest difference in design that translates to greater comfort and control.

And finally, a skill that has taken me years to develop - don't overthink! Sometimes when you're so deep in the zone and full to the brim with determination and intent, the intensity of your focus can cause the very errors you are trying so hard to avoid. Calm breathing, a relaxed posture and a good point on your brush = victory!

There's some good advice above, but I'll add another: use a magnifier (I find this helps with precision and visibly reduces shakiness). If you do anchor your elbows on a surface, it can lead to your arms/hands moving with your pulse (if you notice this, just move them slightly, or anchor your forearms on the table edge instead).

There's a few videos on YouTube, which includes dealing with tremors.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

My hands are bad. they shake badly.

the best advice I can give it to try and brace your hands close to the model and with your desk. rest them a lot. it's annoying but if you just can't get the detail right now, then come back to it later.

try to paint earlier in the day. the later in the day it gets, the worse my hands get.

have patience with yourself. 

I currently paint standing but a few things that made it easier.

Elbows... either against belly or on a surface. 

Wrists hands. I painst with palm heals together pinky side. 

Grip. If fingers bothersome get a holder/paint pot. If grip struggling look at brush aids/thickening handle to give control.

Posture. Take out shake points. Comfort helps sure but office position if supposed yo be in place to help body over time (feet flat parallel. Butt flat. Back straight etc)

I drink caffeine like it’s going out of style and I smoke like a chimney. My technique is to have one of my fingers resting on my other hand or arm, acting as sort of an anchor, though if I concentrate on it, I can usually limit any shake I naturally have to an extent. 

1) brace your arms as mentioned. I like elbows on the table or my forearms on the table edge

2) make sure you aren’t hungry. My shakes are much worse if my tummy is rumbling

3) If you take medication for your adhd, many of them are stimulants, which tend to increase shakiness. You could check with your doctor if it would be ok to skip a day on days you plan to paint in that case. Mine for example told me I could skip my adhd med on the weekends if I wished to, and just take it on working days.

4. Fill in main painting areas after detail painting. For example on my space marines I do my shoulder trim and other armour details first, then fill in with the main armour colour on the plate areas. Easier to paint over than trying to keep the trim colour going everywhere.

If you want to get rid of your hands, you'll have to go to a local surgeon or failing that invest in a good meat cleaver.

...I'll get me coat.

In all seriousness:

On 10/4/2024 at 5:19 PM, Brother Monty said:

I don’t drink caffeine I just have ADHD.

Ouch, I can relate hard. It's one of the reasons I never finish anything...

On 10/14/2024 at 12:21 PM, LittlePlasticHomies said:

Long distance running - hands are noticeably calmer on days when I get my miles in.

Strength/resistance training also helps with tremors/shaking. Its a recommended treatment for people with Essential Tremors (ET), helps build hand/arm strength and conditioning. Can be as simple as resistance bands, and has the double benefit of making you a better painter and a healthier person. 

On 10/4/2024 at 5:27 PM, Brother Zeal said:

I'm no pro, but I shall humbly offer up the old dog biscuit that my advice equates to!

If you don't already do so, I'd recommended using a painting handle. A comfortable, relaxed grip on something with an ergonomic shape will ease the tension in your hand and wrist, granting you greater dexterity and control over objects in your hand. Aside from professionally designed handles by GW and other hobby manufacturers, there's all sorts of ways you can create your own handle at home. No doubt some of our cunning brethren here can share some wisdom involving blu tack or adhesive tape.

In a similar vein, the shape and thickness of your brush handle is also something to consider - brushes with handles that are excessively thick or drastically thin will put a lot of strain on your fingers while you paint. It's always worth trying brushes from different manufacturers when you get the chance, as you might find the slightest difference in design that translates to greater comfort and control.

And finally, a skill that has taken me years to develop - don't overthink! Sometimes when you're so deep in the zone and full to the brim with determination and intent, the intensity of your focus can cause the very errors you are trying so hard to avoid. Calm breathing, a relaxed posture and a good point on your brush = victory!

I have to agree with all these points, a good sturdy handle and quality brushes were a game changer for me, I noticed a reduction in hand shake right away. Also finding a comfortable position I can sit in, resting my arms and hands were possible and taking my time helped, taking regular breaks if the shakes get too much, staying hydrated and avoiding energy drinks, coffee or anything caffeine or sugar-related. 

ADHD shaker here. 

The trick I use is to not only brace on hand against the other (Outside edge of pinky finger to the outside edge of the opposite middle finger), but to also use a Citadel mini holder (the ugly black thing that clamps to the base and gives my non dominant hand a good grip to hold). 

Then when I line up for painting something I take a deep breath and then paint after the exhale, I find I'm far less shaky at that moment. Sure it means my painting takes longer but it looks far better than if I rush it with jazz hands. 

I haven't read all the replies and I apologize if this was already mentioned, but I use a Jucoci painting handle that has a metal rod attachment for support that you can rest your hand against when painting. I've found it considerably helpful. I know Amazon has them if you wanted to take a look at one?