Help me choose my hobby project for this fall

Antarius

Fall Project  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello everybody - it's that time of year again, when the leaves start to come off the trees and everything turns cold and grey. So, I thought I'd see if I couldn't motivate myself to not just start a hobby project, but also a) actually finish it and b) maybe try some new techniques/ideas that I wouldn't otherwise use, as well as c) document the process with pictures and (hopefully not too enormous) walls of text that I could post on my blog and maybe inspire some of of you, during a sometimes demotivating time of year.

My only real criteria is that it must come from my closet of treasures (I really don't like the pile of shame phrase, as I don't feel any shame whatsoever about having vast amounts of minis) and that I should ideally be able to do most of the work inside without inhaling dangerous chemicals (but rattlecans and maybe some oil washes are a possibility). Finally, almost all of these ideas are intended as somewhat modular, in the sense that I'll start out with a relatively small project that I'll be sure to finish, but which will be easily expandable, if it turns out well.

I always get a huge motivational bump from the Call to Arms and a slight post-CtA depression, so if anyone else feels the same and would like to join in on having a fall project, maybe we can figure out some system for keeping each other motivated and following what everybody's doing.

For some reason, I am too stupid to figure out how to add a poll (let's just pretend it's an issue with my browser as that will be much more comfortable for me). So, the ideas I have at present, which I'd love if you guys would take a look at and help me choose between, are:

1. Necromunda terrain. I have a bunch in varying stages between unassembled and partially painted. The idea is basically to combine GW kits with other stuff and make sure they look suitably asymmetrical, combined with a relatively easy "industrial" paintjob and some nice weathering/detailing.
  2. A Death Guard kill team (possibly a small army, if I decide to expand upon the initial batch of 7 or so minis)
  3. A Space Marine (probably Imperial Fists) force that can be used for either Horus Heresy or 4th ed. Warhammer 40.000. It's an idea that I've been toying with for a while and I think it should be doable.
  4. A bunch of Daemons (most likely Nurgle and/or Slaanesh)
  5. Some Tyranids with an interesting, not too cartoony colour scheme. I have a bunch lying around and while I don't have any concrete ideas for a colour scheme at present, I think it might be interesting to see if I can cook up something that's both relatively easy and doesn't look like something out of a candy store.

Like I said, I couldn't make the poll work, so if you'll write a few lines about the idea(s) you find most interesting it'd be a great help to me :cool:

Edited by Grotsmasha
=] Polls are Mod only [=

Speaking of polls, I'm pretty sure I just voted for you in the Call to Arms.  I'm pretty sure that's your Lord of Change.  Didn't know it was you.  Actually all the minis looked really good, not just yours, everyone did great work, but for whatever reason your big bird stood out for me.  Great job!

So understanding you just finished that Daemons project, I actually suggest this.  I got like a Roadmap proposal here:

• Fall 2024: Death Guard - light project, weaning yourself off of Chaos Daemons to Marines
  • Winter 2025: Loyalist Marines - having been weaned off Chaos, now pure Marines
  • Spring 2025: Tyranids - by this time, you've had time to back-of-mind-process your colour scheme
  • Summer 2025: Slaanesh Daemons - in anticipation of the Emperor's Children Codex, imagine hearing news or previews while working on that project

Regardless, after your big Tzeentch project, maybe just enjoy a small Kill Team, which happens to be Death Guard.

I vote for Terrain, as Terrain can be used in all and any cases. Morevover, if yoy are still undecided, terrain is also a sure value for what it brings: it gives you time to decide for next thing to do. I fill proscratination time with Terrain. I recommend the medicine.

Edit: And I like the pics of terrains from your gallery and I hope you will share more.

Edited by Bouargh

5 hours ago, N1SB said:

Speaking of polls, I'm pretty sure I just voted for you in the Call to Arms.  I'm pretty sure that's your Lord of Change.  Didn't know it was you.  Actually all the minis looked really good, not just yours, everyone did great work, but for whatever reason your big bird stood out for me.  Great job!

So understanding you just finished that Daemons project, I actually suggest this.  I got like a Roadmap proposal here:

• Fall 2024: Death Guard - light project, weaning yourself off of Chaos Daemons to Marines
  • Winter 2025: Loyalist Marines - having been weaned off Chaos, now pure Marines
  • Spring 2025: Tyranids - by this time, you've had time to back-of-mind-process your colour scheme
  • Summer 2025: Slaanesh Daemons - in anticipation of the Emperor's Children Codex, imagine hearing news or previews while working on that project

Regardless, after your big Tzeentch project, maybe just enjoy a small Kill Team, which happens to be Death Guard.

Thank you! I was honestly feeling rather "done" with my Daemons project, when it finally became time to do the big guy - I had saved him for last, as a sort of prize for getting all the other stuff done, but it turned out this was a bit of a mistake, as I really didn't enjoy painting him as much as I should have. I'm really happy you like him, though!
You roadmap might actually come to pass, seeing how the votes are falling, so far. In any case, it's a great suggestion and I've actually just gone out and done a quick zenithal prime on my DG kill team (the guys from the wh heroes series), as it seems like they'll be the first (and if not, it won't hurt to have them primed for later).

5 hours ago, calgar101 said:

I picked 30k/40k dual army, especially since you want to do Imperial Fists. As someone who will do a 30k IF force soon that was the clear choice for me.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing whatever hobby goal you pick.

6 hours ago, crimsondave said:

I’ve got a Crimson Fists side project going when I’m tired of painting Dark Angels (which hasn’t been often lately with the new models) so I vote something Dorn.

I can promise that you'll both get your wish eventually, even if it doesn't turn out to be the first project out of the gate. I found a couple of Rhinos with IF symbols on when I rummaged through the cupboard, so I'll have to do something with them sooner or later :smile:

21 minutes ago, Bouargh said:

I vote for Terrain, as Terrain can be used in all and any cases. Morevover, if yoy are still undecided, terrain is also a sure value for what it brings: it gives you time to decide for next thing to do. I fill proscratination time with Terrain. I recommend the medicine.

Edit: And I like the pics of terrains from your gallery and I hope you will share more.

Yeah, terrain is great like that. I actually had a couple of years where I basically only did terrain, because I was in a bit of a painting slump when it came to miniatures. As you say, the great thing about it is that it's not bound up with a certain army, so it's always a good investment of time and energy. I'm very happy that you like the stuff I've posted so far and I'll certainly be doing more terrain at some point, either as its own project or as a bit of breathing room from other projects.

51 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Death Guard Kill Team and some Necromunda terrain, because one will complement the other and it will be achievable as a small autumn project. You could even paint the terrain up with rust/verdigris/mould etc. to fit in with the theme.

Hmm, I actually do more or less paint my Necromunda terrain in Death Guardy colors…