sitnam Posted yesterday at 03:09 AM Share Posted yesterday at 03:09 AM 9 hours ago, Redcomet said: I have quite a few two thin coats paints, and those bottles have given me waaaay more issues than gw bottle. Paint leaks into the cap and dries, a lot of paint leaks into the caps in my experience I've enjoyed TTC paints, but those caps leave me questioning the whole dropper bottle thing. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189762 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Antarius Posted yesterday at 07:25 AM Share Posted yesterday at 07:25 AM I honestly tend to think decanting GW paints into dropper bottles is a waste of time (and, to be frank, I sometimes think it's a bit of a thing some people do to feel like they're doing something with the hobby when they don't feel like actually painting, which I can sort of sympathise with). Personally, I have a lot of GW paints and a lot of AP, Vallejo and AK paints, so I am pretty familiar with both types of paint pot and I honestly feel like it's a bit of a wash which is better. Obviously, if you have a preference you should always go with that, but personally, the problems seem pretty much equally annoying to me, so I just leave things in the pots they came in. I guess I would always prefer washes and similarly thin paint products in droppers, but still not enough to decant them. As for the new paints, I think I'll probably try a white and a black, maybe a yellow if they have a good one (and, if those seem really good, I might eventually get one of each primary colur to basecoat with). The more I think about it, the more I do want to try it, but conversely it really is just to try it, as I have a lot of paint and a way and style of painting that I'm quite happy with, so I don't see them changing much for me. DemonGSides, Gamiel, Arkhanist and 1 other 1 3 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189770 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karhedron Posted yesterday at 07:45 AM Share Posted yesterday at 07:45 AM 17 minutes ago, Antarius said: I honestly tend to think decanting GW paints into dropper bottles is a waste of time (and, to be frank, I sometimes think it's a bit of a thing some people do to feel like they're doing something with the hobby when they don't feel like actually painting, which I can sort of sympathise with). Same here. I mainly use GW paints but I also have some Vellejo and AP paints which come in dropper bottles and they are not the great improvement over GW pots that some people claim. The biggest claim is that you get less wastage with dropper bottles but that has not been my experience. With a pot I can push a brush to the bottom to get the dregs out. With a dropper bottle, you always get some on the sides and bottom that you cannot get out. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189771 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rusted Boltgun Posted yesterday at 08:46 AM Share Posted yesterday at 08:46 AM Not to mention the clogging nightmare that is a Pro Acryl bottle. If you want a more traditional 'spout', they sell them separately, driving up the cost per bottle. That said, it was money well spent versus the time spent cleaning up the old tops and clearing up excess spills. I just with they were standard. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189775 Share on other sites More sharing options...
appiah4 Posted yesterday at 08:51 AM Share Posted yesterday at 08:51 AM Atom/Ionic bottles are the best. I never bothered with rebottling GW paints either, too much work. I just used my stock until it all dried out, which didn't last more than two years tbh. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189776 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Arkhanist Posted yesterday at 11:45 AM Share Posted yesterday at 11:45 AM Main reason I decanted was to free up some space in my paint racks - I have a triple tray box that sits in an IKEA cube shelf by my desk, but only one citadel tray - and proacryl takes up the same citadel slots. I have a couple of overflow stepped paint racks for citadel too, but I'm definitely out of space for those pots Vs droppers, and will have more dropper spots when I clear out the last of the old Vallejo/warpaints/msp. I might have to redecorate with wall racks to add more citadel holes, and it's not a big space... Or just decant the new paints straight into droppers where I have rack space. I can't say I've ever had an issue with paints drying out completely, bar the old bolter shell pots. My lobster is too buttery with all these 15 yo paints that are still viable I guess... Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189807 Share on other sites More sharing options...
LittlePlasticHomies Posted yesterday at 03:22 PM Share Posted yesterday at 03:22 PM 7 hours ago, Antarius said: I honestly tend to think decanting GW paints into dropper bottles is a waste of time Not for airbrushing where you’re mixing N drops of paint 1 with 2 - though I admit that’s a very niche counterfactual. Arkhanist, Ammonius, Antarius and 1 other 1 2 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189858 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nephaston Posted yesterday at 03:42 PM Share Posted yesterday at 03:42 PM 22 hours ago, Redcomet said: I have quite a few two thin coats paints, and those bottles have given me waaaay more issues than gw bottle. Paint leaks into the cap and dries, a lot of paint leaks into the caps in my experience Iirc the initial wave 1 release bottles were slightly overfilled, so they were basically all spilling over. Wave 2 and 3 don't have the issue to the same extent in my experience, and new restocks of wave 1 should be better now. Gamiel 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189864 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kurgan the Lurker Posted yesterday at 08:40 PM Share Posted yesterday at 08:40 PM Gamiel 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189946 Share on other sites More sharing options...
techsoldaten Posted 20 hours ago Share Posted 20 hours ago 16 hours ago, Rusted Boltgun said: Not to mention the clogging nightmare that is a Pro Acryl bottle. If you want a more traditional 'spout', they sell them separately, driving up the cost per bottle. That said, it was money well spent versus the time spent cleaning up the old tops and clearing up excess spills. I just with they were standard. The proper way to work with Pro Acryl nozzles is to leave the top open, set it aside for about a minute, then close it. Paint recedes into the bottle without leaving excess at the top. This feature kind of undercommunicated. Had this problem until I saw a video on how to do it. LittlePlasticHomies, Arkhanist, Rusted Boltgun and 1 other 1 3 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189972 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Doghouse Posted 15 hours ago Share Posted 15 hours ago This feels like the army painter Triad paints repackaged as Warhammer paints and will probably be a lot more expensive. I'd have to try it though to be fair and get a proper comparison. techsoldaten 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189987 Share on other sites More sharing options...
lhg033 Posted 14 hours ago Share Posted 14 hours ago Had a bit of time yesterday and tried a couple out at the the local Warhammer shop. They didnt have the full range which was annoying as I really wanted to see the yellows. My other main consideration at this point - The hierotek (spelling?) green 1 may work for Dark angels though it could possible be a bit light/need a bit of shading for the more current colour palette. It might give a nice 2nd edition look. I didnt get to see it side by side with Caliban green which will be the bigger test for me. Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6189990 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kurgan the Lurker Posted 11 hours ago Share Posted 11 hours ago Orange Knight, Gamiel and Lord Marshal 3 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190007 Share on other sites More sharing options...
techsoldaten Posted 11 hours ago Share Posted 11 hours ago 4 hours ago, Doghouse said: This feels like the army painter Triad paints repackaged as Warhammer paints and will probably be a lot more expensive. I'd have to try it though to be fair and get a proper comparison. Was thinking the same thing. There's some appeal to the idea of triads. When I was working on my Sons of Horus, I was looking for a good base color and settled on Army Painter's Feldgrau series. Could not purchase them in the US without paying an army and a leg, was able to come up with a serviceable alternative with Pro Acryl. The recent historical Feldgraus are a triad that gives a very good semi-grimdark feel to the armor. It's nice from the standpoint of not having to think through the mix every time. Doghouse 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190012 Share on other sites More sharing options...
DarkMark Posted 7 hours ago Share Posted 7 hours ago The Army Painter 6 will currently cost you (6x 3.90€) 23.40€, and , if correct, Tone Pro (5x 5.45€) 27.25€. That's almost 2 extra bottles and each bottle is 33% extra. AP's 18ml Vs TP's 12ml. I think if you're buying paint regularly that difference will be quite significant. The Tone Pro mediums are bats expensive, too. Doghouse 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190063 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blissful Brushes Posted 6 hours ago Share Posted 6 hours ago I’d consider it, I need to watch a couple videos on the quality but it’s not a bad idea. One of the things that always gets on my nerves is the whole naming conventions of paints. Im happy for the colour to be Ultramarines Blue, but I very much like the idea of using UM blue 3 as my base colour, shading with #1, highlighting with #5, vs looking for whatever weird esoteric name they’ve come up with for slightly darker/lighter UM blue. That goes for all brands too, because the next colour on the colour chart often has different properties so buying the 5 blues next to each other doesn’t give you the shade/base/highlight that you want. Bottles - I’m not a massive fan of them and never have been but it’s not a deal breaker tbh. Prices - Welcome to GW lol, whatever they sell is going to have their usual markup. Will I buy them? Maybe some, for the most part I do have the paint I need right now so maybe when I start a new project I’d consider giving them a whirl if I’m missing paint. Doghouse 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190066 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Doghouse Posted 6 hours ago Share Posted 6 hours ago I'm getting the Triads at £18 for 6. I think the market may becoming a bit oversaturated with paints, good for customers though if there are cheaper alternatives. I come from the camp of having GW paints from the 80s that still are fine and knowing that GW are fully aware of the flaw in their lids I'm more inclined to look elsewhere. The blob on the paint gimmick isn't anything new and I have seen other companies claim the same but I think the bit that I would be interested in trying is the blending aspect. But to be honest I have never had a problem blending with regular paints just using water and I don't think it's ever been a massive issue for most that couldn't be solved with a bit of practice. From my personal perspective it all went from adding a bit of water to all these technical mediums and other grandiose sounding additional products that you need to buy on top of the paints and talk of pigmentation and coverage when we've not really had any hobby ending problems for decades. Better paints aren't going to make you a golden demon winner but practice will. Antarius 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190067 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Antarius Posted 6 hours ago Share Posted 6 hours ago Good paints will help though But yeah, I think there is a little bit of overcomplication and over "scientification" going on in the painting world in general. Probably another thing to be laid at the door of the internet and especially video creators. To be fair the internet has certainly been an invaluable resource for many of us when it comes to painting - it's just that you can easily end up spending more time watching painting videos and buying the latest product than actually painting Doghouse 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190069 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kurgan the Lurker Posted 1 hour ago Share Posted 1 hour ago Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190109 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lord Marshal Posted 43 minutes ago Share Posted 43 minutes ago (edited) 11 hours ago, Kurgan the Lurker said: Interesting how one of the points that I've seen come up a few times from the slightly more sceptical reviewers is how well they airbrush - despite that not being one of the things that's ever been advertised officially and rarely from the more, uh, 'GW favoured' influencers. Edited 35 minutes ago by Lord Marshal Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388536-warhammer-tone-pro-paints-drybrushes/page/10/#findComment-6190113 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now