Siege Rhino for my IW

Ebolahond

Ok i have begun yet another vehicle project for my IW army. I will keep updating this thread with pics, ideas and WIP so to entertain u guys with how i go about and build stuff. lets start with why i got this idea in the first place.

Right now i have two 10 man CSM squads of which one already has a rhino.

my first rhino had a Havoc launcher which went a bit overboard and ended up being more of a Whirlwind then a Rhino. This isnt that bad but i felt that beacause of the Whirlwind feel i needed to put this rhino with my ten man Support squad rather then with the 10 man assault squad. So i started pondering on what i could do for my seccond rhino.

First off let me make something clear about me and modeling. I like taking things appart. Also i believe that something should be big. If it isnt big its not worth the trouble :devil:. Some might remmeber my Knight, my Dread and my Bassilisk. Well then you know what i mean. There are a whole lot of other things about me,

Some things you might want to know,

some things you dont want to know,

and somethings I dont want you to know.

but they are neither here nor there concerning this thread so ill keep them to myself and my imaginary friend Pim. (damn now you know more then you should)

anyways back to the Rhino. Iron Warriors are all about siege. Most people somehow have interpeted this into all shooty stuff, I on the other hand think that siege at some point involves a lot of runnin/driving/crawling/flying and sometimes swimming towards the enemy and then knock on their walls, Doors and heads (not necesarely in that order) with various sizes hammers and drills. As a result my IW toys are rather Close Combat orientated and I wish to reflect this in my rhino too. So lets look at what my squad of guys riding on the rhino would be doing.

1. Driving up to the enemy

2. getting out

3. Moving a little more

4. Assault.

this seems very solid. Now what would happen to the rhino. it doesnt get into the assault. The poor little warmachine doesnt even get to fight :D. So what can we do about this. We could add a living vehicle upgrade! Yes very cool. but somehow the idea of a living vehicle is not really IW compatiable. Lets just have a look at their warcry:

Iron within, Iron Without.

Lets analyze this for a seccond. What could the Iron mean? I would say that the Iron in this sentence is a more healthy concept when you apply this to the weapons (trust me too much iron in your blood is unhealthy and can lead to serious skin rash, It also works hell on your Kidneys and Liver). So the within part refers to sticking Iron within your enemy and Iron wihout means that the IW rather not have any (pointy)bits of Iron within themselfs.

Now we have had an indepth look at IW philosophy lets safely assume that having a living vehicle would not be "Warcry Conform", therefor a deamonic looking arm or tentacle sprouting from the hull would be so unfashionably Nurgle and thus is out of the question.

Being the geniuses that they are IW would be quite familiar with the term Multi-tasking. Another thing that this Rhino might be facing are closed Fortress doors. As the concept of free entry and valet parking might have somewhat deminished 40.000 years in the future, I think that some extra punch in the door opening department would be nice. Hammers are in abundance in my army already.

So why not try something with a twist.After some thinking i decided that a drill would be cool. Not only would this be so fashionable but it could definately give a twist to the game.

Okay enough with the puns and jokes. I presnt you with the findings within my bitbox that will help me build this baby.

1 rhino

1 Old skool Blood Bowl Dwarf Deathroler

1 Old Skool Space Marine (the Game not the Army) mole drill head

I have some FW extra armor and IW doors so those will go on there as well. Further i managed to steal some PVC tubing and have access to all the wonderfull stuff of Evergreen plastic. So lets get cracking.

The chassis is finished. I left out the front pannel cause thats where i am going to stick the Drill. It will get Some pimped up cockpit on the top which will use the FW front. the sketch below will show what i mean.

So thats it for now. I still have to think what i am going to do with the whole lot but its late now and well i need some sleep sometimes. When you guys have some ideas just post them ill be happy to hear you views.

cheers

TJ

http://high5.net/pr/ebolahond/rhinob_1.jpg

haha the positioning might be a little off.....

but i was thinking of adding 2 more drills like this. Ofcourse i will need to make a few casts of the drill bit first as it is no longer on mail order

as for the Male extention remarks.... <_<

the final result will definately not look like that its a mockup without too much thought right now. I will start with the cockpit (hehe no pun intended) as that wat i am sure about right now. The drill bits will have to wait.

Hmmm i understand exactly what your going for in this :o

Think like the drill excavators out of total recall with the triple drill heads on the front that turned together like clockwork....that would be big enough to fit the rhino in after it made its hole <_<

great ideas ebola,i always read it when i see your name in the title !!!

mithril

Aight i have done some work on the top but it is still far from finished. The basic shape is there i just need to fill in the gaps after which a detail layer will be put over it. The hull itself will get some FW chaos extra armor which makes detailing the hull easy. For the raised cockpit i will have to do something similar.

as for the drill. Dont get me wrong but i think that Rhionos will not be used as full fledged gate breakers. Their mass is just too little and i guess more dedicated monstrosities will be used. This drill should help the assault squad to get int smaller bunkers and defences. The drill will basically create a hole big enough for the marines to pass through after which it will back out of the way and unleash its marine cargo. I also picture it being used as an obstacle clearing machine. The deathroler will act as mine clearers. I just have to find a seccond

enough talk here be another pic of how i imagine the drill to look like after i get a cast from the drill.

http://high5.net/pr/ebolahond/rhinob_2.jpg

i guess this takes care of my previous cock-up er i mean mock-up and have a more Big feel to it....... :jaw:

Too bad you cant give it Mark of Khorne just so that you can give it the 'Destroyer' upgrade...

The one thing I dont get about the death roller as a mine clearer is once it does it's job then there goes your front track and part of your drill.

Definately an improvement though.

Too bad you cant give it Mark of Khorne just so that you can give it the 'Destroyer' upgrade...

The one thing I dont get about the death roller as a mine clearer is once it does it's job then there goes your front track and part of your drill.

Definately an improvement though.

check this out its not very uncommon in in todays world. Then u see where i get the idea from

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ground/mcrs.htm

Whats going on the turret?

right now i dont know yet. I am thinking of making it loos so i can interchange my costom havoc launcher and a regular strorm bolter. This just makes it more interchangable.

I like the idea, suits IW very well.

The second set of pics with the three drills in front looks way better. I'd try to keep the drill from sticking out too far from the tank, otherwise I think it'll look fragile.

As for the mine rollers, they closly reasemble those in the link you provided. If you read the text though the army didn't have much success with them in the desert...

What where you going to use it as, rules wise? Was it going to be the "living vehicle" uppgrade (since you obviously can't take "destroyer")?

Its going to be the living vehicle upgrade. Its a shame i cant take destroyer. But if need be it can double for a VDR vehicle in special scenarios.

@IP You would put a crusified SM on anything would you :wub:. I am currently also working on some concept sketches for a lord of siege

Archived