Captain!

Yeah, I could have posted this with the other thread I just made, but I reckon this guy deserves one of his own...

Anyway, he's a simple Captain / Master type guy, designed with a very heavy Roman influence much like that of the Ultramarines Honour Guard and some of the Ultra artwork.

He's not quite done, so any suggestions and crits will be taken on board.

Oh, right, you want pics!

Front view

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/major_panic/capt1.jpg

Alternate front view

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/major_panic/capt2.jpg

Side 1

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/major_panic/capt3.jpg

Side 2

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/major_panic/capt4.jpg

Detail?!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/major_panic/capt5.jpg

Yes, he is wearing a skirt (he'd probably prefer tunic). I looked up the Roman legion's standard uniform and, well, they were wearing them with the loincloth things on top, so that's what I did.

Anyway, comments and crits appreciated as always!

Cheers, major_panic

That wrist positioning looks painful.

Try modifying the shoulderpads to look like the old Roman Legions'. Might look nice.

Yes, actually, I just realised that the wrist does appear a little overdone... Might I enquire as to what you mean by modifying the shoulderpads to look like the Roman Legions'?

Cheers, major_panic

Try modifying the shoulderpads to look like the old Roman Legions'. Might look nice.

Yes, actually, I just realised that the wrist does appear a little overdone... Might I enquire as to what you mean by modifying the shoulderpads to look like the Roman Legions'?

Cheers, major_panic

If you look at reproductions of Lorica Segmentata, which is what people most often think of when referring to Roman-style armour, then you'll notice the shoulderpads are sets of lamellar bands that look a little like this - Pic

I thought you had done that anyways, with the shoulderpad covering the arm that wields the sword.

As things are, I think the sculpting is nice, but the model could do with having more detail added, as it looks a bit bare. Nice work.

Wow, comments! Thanks!

@Stratokhan: Yes, I know he's a bit bare... I wanted it a little that way, although I am thinking of adding a cloak. And yes, that was what I was trying for with the right shoulderpad, although it's not that clear...

@PD: Oh, believe me, that style of shoulder pad is waiting for its debut - but I'm waiting for a better, more inspiring model to use it on.

@Foolio: Yep, I might do that

@MAD & patsy02: Strange, that... the fact of the matter is, he stands at the same height as an Emperor's Champion model; it's just the green stuff that makes up his abdominal and chest armour makes him look stouter.

Any other crits and comments, muchly appreciated!

What do people think of adding a cloak, and where should I drape it?

Cheers, major_panic

how so? have you ever held a sword? its quite natural actually. if he were in a swinging stance then yes it's positioned incorrectly but it appears he is pointing at the enemy perhaps yelling charge.

how so? have you ever held a sword? its quite natural actually. if he were in a swinging stance then yes it's positioned incorrectly but it appears he is pointing at the enemy perhaps yelling charge.

Yup, Ive held a sword and I've gotta agree with this guy. Just get a ruler or something and point at an imaginary enemy. Your wrist cocks that way naturally.

well i agree with the wrist not exactly looking painful but what would help it not look too bad is that if you again look at your wrist doing that motion it dosnt look too bad because your hand is almost flush with your arm....basicly its a strait line from the inside of your elbow to the part where your thumb is connected to your hand...basicly if you just added a little more GS to his wrist to make it a little more wide it should look better

also you could raise the hand a little and also extend it from the cut to make that alteration better...dosnt help that the bottom of the hand is touching the arm part like that....hope my insite might help...

Coop

The round shield makes me think more of Spartan (greek) than a Roman.

You might try a scutum (scoot um)

google came up with this http://www.larp.com/legioxx/scutum.html

lots of stuff on this website about roman armor, looks like its a re-inactors page but lots of good pictures and info on how they are making the stuff

Cheers mate, I thought about that but I figured it'd look odd on his wrist as opposed to a round shield... and a little too big. I wanted him to have a combat shield rather than a storm shield, see..

@the others: yeah, the wrist positioning is natural - I test poses out on myself before modelling them. However, on this model the wrist is sitting a little low, making it look deformed :blink:

Anyone think that a cloak hanging from the right shoulderpad to the left side of his backpack is in order?

Cheers, major_panic

well we all love romanized marines :)

this is a WIP of an assault Sgt with combat shield(i tried to make the combat shield have a scutum look)

gallery_9146_583_2516.jpg

mithril

HERESY... that looks like a chaos symbol on the shield...

I think your helmet would look much more "romanized" if you put a protective plate or visor on the brow of the helmet, (just above the eyes as it were).

Do you have a specific example that you can show me and that I can subsequently copy? :)

Cheers, major_panic

http://www.knightsedge.com/images/imperial-roman-helmet-8112.jpg

That took all of three seconds to find on google. <_<

The shield screams "Greek" rather than the Roman theme you're trying to convey. What you might want to do is get one of those black plastic film containers and cut a square off of it; makes a perfect scutum.

What you might want to do is get one of those black plastic film containers and cut a square off of it; makes a perfect scutum.

Now that is a great idea. Consider it looted. And I agree that the brow ridge on your Marine's helmet would go a long way towards making him look more Roman than Greek. I like the concept so far, though.

Yup, Ive held a sword and I've gotta agree with this guy. Just get a ruler or something and point at an imaginary enemy. Your wrist cocks that way naturally.

Excuse

me

if

I

don't

trust

unverifiable

"experts"

So, did you notice any differences between those and major_panic's efforts?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/major_panic/capt5.jpg

In fact, the same appearance/positioning is visible in these Xeno wrists.

It's not my model and major_panic doesn't have to pay one bit of attention to me or what I say, but I figured I'd respond to the two of you since major_panic himself said:

Yes, actually, I just realised that the wrist does appear a little overdone...

Archived