MDF drop pods

so no doubt some of you have heard of the Oz company that produces MDF "troop landers". and after taking a look at them myself, i decided to get some. 6 to be exact. placed the order last friday and they were on my doorstep the following wednesday ;)

and i must admit, it was actually rather fun slapping one of these together, it was just so simple, took a little less than an hour all up. very straight forward compared to some of the more complex GW kits.

here's a pic for a size comparison:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/ddog2/RIMG0616.jpg

its actually wide enough to fit a dread inside! cept there are no opening doors on it.

well thats 1 down, 5 to go.

Looks really big. I'm sure someone will get a shot up with a comparison to the Forgeworld ones eventually.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic! Certainly a lot of people *are* interested in these.

Is the site down for anyone else? I just went to order some and its server not found :( I pray its a server problem and not the almighty sword of GW legal decapitating them.

Raven

hmm, thats odd :huh:

try again later, even if GW did bring out the legal big-guns, they would probably only make them discontinue the "landers", not shut down the whole site.

http://www.thewarstore.com/product9157.html

I understand the price comparison DotD. :huh: I'd like to see a visual comparison is all. I'm sure someone will post one up now that they're shipping out.

ah, right-o then :(

i would imagine that the FW one would be a bit bigger, seeing how its a 5 door model and this only has 3 doors.

and cheers for the working link!

however, if you are planning on buying them in bulk, its better value to get the 3 packs.

I've got a few myself, but have yet to build them. How hard was it to clean up all the flash from the edges? Also, did you use super glue, white glue, wood glue? I might build two of them and save the third for just in case they get shut down.

I've got a few myself, but have yet to build them. How hard was it to clean up all the flash from the edges? Also, did you use super glue, white glue, wood glue? I might build two of them and save the third for just in case they get shut down.

after cleaning flash from metal and resin minis, the effort it takes to clean cardboard flash is..... laughable.

3 seconds, 5 max. 1 to cut it from the sprue, 2 to cut the flash off with a hobby knife, and another 2 to give it a quick sand.

as for glue, i used UHU kid's PVA art and craft glue, washable, non-toxic, and made just for kids.... so to answer your question, PVA/wood glue will work fine.

excellent, that's what I was waiting for, a size comparison shot with a Dread in the photo. Judging from your photo, and this FW drop pod and Dread, it looks like they are almost exactly the same size of footprint. But frankly, I think the MDF ones just look so much cooler. It seems to me that what it loses in central size by not opening and being able to stow a Dread inside, it makes up for in the fins and thrusters. a pixel-wise guesstimate shows the MDF one to be maybe 1/2" wider, tops, but after flipping between photos a million times, I'm sure enough of them being so close to the same size, that I'm gonna go get some. I've got 3 dreads that need a ride ;)

Time to go bounce over to the WarStore, and spend another paycheck. :tu:

I wasnt a 'fan' when I saw on the site - but now with that comparison I think its great!

Question though...

Where does GW stand on using 'homemade' DPs at tourney/stores and the like?

If they do release the plastic kit do you think this will change to a 'you MUST use ours' stance?

Do they have a smaller one? If not, how does this pod compare in size to a regular marine? Does it look akward as a marine pod?

I don't really like how they look, but I'd rather have slightly goofy looking pods than spend 45 pounds a pod.

Thanks for the picture too.

--EDIT--

I just did some calculations and this is what I came up with, based on proportions. I calculated these by measuring the dimensions of the marine or dred in each picture and dividing them by the dimensions of the drop pod in each picture. Then I took this constant and took the dimensions of an average marine/dred to find the dimensions of the pods.

The Forgeworld Dred Pod is about 13cm wide and19 cm tall

The Forgeworld Marine pod is about 10.45 cm wide and 13cm tall

The Troop Lander is about 14.3 cm wide and 17.58 cm tall.

These are probably pretty off, could someone confirm them?

Anyway I hope these figures are correct, cause if they are, I'm sold.

I wasnt a 'fan' when I saw on the site - but now with that comparison I think its great!

Question though...

If they do release the plastic kit do you think this will change to a 'you MUST use ours' stance?

One of the GW Staffers at a nearby store has a scratchbuilt droppod (based off the forgeworld design) made out of plastic and thin cardboard in his army display case at the front of the store.

So.. I'd say they are fine with it :tu:

Last I knew, Home made wasn't a problem. They only start banning you from competitions and when you start showing up with other company's model kits. So, if GW put out a drop pod kit, they would allow you to play in a large tourny with scratch built pods from plasticard and tamplates, but they would certainly not allow the "troop lander" from this other company.

Last I knew, Home made wasn't a problem. They only start banning you from competitions and when you start showing up with other company's model kits. So, if GW put out a drop pod kit, they would allow you to play in a large tourny with scratch built pods from plasticard and tamplates, but they would certainly not allow the "troop lander" from this other company.

scratch building vs. pre-cut.

its almost the same thing really. at some point, someone had scratch to build the lander template, only now, the template has been copied and made availible to the public at a reasonable price. it doesnt bear any markings or logos, and looks 40k'ish, and can be made to look even more 40k'ish if you take the time to "pimp" it out.

The rules are no longer clear about their allowance of fully scratch models anymore.

EITHER WAY: They know these exist. They know a company is making them. There would be no surprise if they were banned. Scratch-built versus pre-cut are VERY different. Even if you don't understand the difference, GW's Events Team does.

You think GW's got a claim on having a "uniqueness" about a trans-orbital, one-time use, troop lander? :devil: Drop Pods in a way/shape/form predate them by quite a bit. These MDF ones are merely provided for a specific scale representation of one for use in any space era miniature game. It in no way infringes upon GW's IP.

As for tourneys, GW's rule has always been that you can use scratch-built or other models if there was no GW model available (FW does not count as GW for these purposes). Any extra bits need to be GW, so you should probably find a spare stormbolter to strap on the top... maybe an aquila or two from a tank-sprue.

US GT rules don't say that anymore 70. They say any model that doesn't have an official GW model may be converted from another GW model. No more talk of scratch or %GW in the 2006 rules. Even if the US Event Team ok's these, which I doubt they would, eventually the higher-ups either US or UK will find out about them and ban them. If they allow these they know they'd be in for hurt from people competing with their own models. They can't stop folks from using them at home or in local shops but they can at their GTs and I'm sure they will.

I was just looking over them contemplating using them with my wolves. when i noticed the "Pod Bunker". The reason these don't have doors is that they are designed to land in the emplacement and unload through the base. Of course we can use them however the hell we want, just thought i'd point out why they have no visible doors or hatches.

Archived