Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

Actually the secret to the dried blood is the fleshtone (Word Bearers using paper? Pssht. Parchment's for Smurfs.) underneath. It's successive layers of Tanned Flesh -> Dwarf Flesh -> Elf Flesh leaving the last layer showing in recesses, and then just hit it with Baal Red, Leviathan Purple, and Devlan Mud, in that order. And then just slap some Scab Red on it in a suitably gory fashion and you're done. :)

I pretty much wanna use EVERYTHING Warriors just got... I wish I could think of some way to use that mounted Undivided Lord without picking and choosing bits from the thing. Gawd that model is gorgeous. In the most horrific, I-shall-flense-the-flesh-from-your-bones-Imperial-scum way, of course. :tu:

True, silly me, why did i think that WB would still be using paper these days i dont know <_<.

The effect looks good. I'll have to "try" and mimic the effect! The only thing i didn't understand was why the Leviathan Purple wash?

I'd love to use more of the Chaos bits from Fantasy, but the idea of having to 40K-rise them has made me cringe somewhat. Nonetheless, i'm hoping i'll be able to use some of those bits to make some more unique WB.

The Leviathan wash serves just to make the flesh look fleshier, just a bit more pink. I guess it's not really necessary for the blood, I just like it (the main thing with the blood is to make the flesh look all nasty and gory BEFORE you start doing anything with Scab Red). :D The champion's face has a LOT of Leviathan Purple on it too, especially on his forehead. It should be noted that half of my painting method for this army is just washes. I love the friggin' things. Devlan Mud's probably the best 4 bucks I ever spent on this hobby.

As for 40k-inaterizin' the FB bitz, I think I know how you feel. Some of the bits on the Knights I just don't want to cannibalize - they're all so preeeeeety... I'm gonna paint the knights just for the heck of it, it's just all the spare parts are going towards 40k. There IS a rather nice mace on here that I MAY be using in a minor future project... *cough*Apostle*cough*

Waiting for a nice day to prime stuff on... bloody Fall. Bein' all cold 'n windy 'n such. Very inconvenient time to start an army. :lol: I think I might just work on some more cultists until then.

EDIT: I'm totally yoinking this for a lascannon havoc and there's nothing any of you can do to stop me. ;)

That is one interesting lascannon concept. Suffice to say, i won't be stopping you :lol:

I actually picked myself up a box of the Empire Flagellants to use as Culists in a similar fashion as you have (i still think its weird and odd that certain chaos armies don't have cultists and how certain legions don't have their own daemons!!). So hopefully i can tinker around with those as well.

I'll definitely have to give the Leviathan Purple trick a try and see how that pans out.

Hrm, I say, what might this wondrous pile of detritus be the shapings of, I wonder?

gallery_39401_2771_244135.jpg

:) Cabling inspired by Kikkala's recent AWESOME mech-Apostle. Before anyone asks, the legs are from the Games Day 2004 Archaon on Foot (thank the gods for eBay), and they're around the height of an unconverted marine. Blasphemy to use them on something other than their intended purpose, I know, but at least my Acolyte gets the sword. Can't think of a use for the torso, but the shield and head will be easy enough to utilize. Crozius is a bitzmash from the new FB Knights and the banner's from the Empire Flagellants sprue.

Anyway, got all my stuff primed. I know I promised an Icon Bearer, but screw promises, you're getting that First Acolyte I posted a while back, and you're gonna like it! Well, you might not, I suppose. :D Next monday, possibly (meaning probably three weeks from now =P).

:D I like the bits usage for the First Acolyte. If it makes you feel any better my Dark Apostle bits are still sitting on the cutting board, but i still don't feel 100% satisfied that they would do him justice. Maybe we should all go the way of kikkala and do it his way because it did look pretty cool! :)

Heh, I don't even HAVE half the bits I'm going to use yet, so you've got me beaten there. :P I'll be sculpting his torso from scratch, aside from the cables already there, but for his head I need the sergeant head from the Assault Terminators box (I'd use the FB Warrior champion head, but nice as it is it's becoming a bit overused, plus I really don't want him to have horns for some reason), and I've still got to figure out what I'm going to do about his left arm, but then there's the, eh, minor matter of his base/diorama. Basically I want him on a monster base standing on a pile of skulls, and in front of him on the ground (i.e. not the skulls) are a bunch of slaves pulling something-or-other on a chain (probably using Flagellants for those). Behind him, I need a few Empire wizards to use as evil-looking robed figures, and then I need the big Chaos star from a Defiler, which I'm going to put on a big stick and have corpses (zombies? Skellies?) hanging off of it. It's gonna be BIG. He'll probably come off, maybe I'll have him attached to a Terminator base or something that I can just put on the monster base easily. Magnets, anyone?

Why, yes, I am blatantly ripping off this. ^_^

Its a good rip-off, so if you can do it, the more power to you indeed :)

I'm thinking i might actually re-try the Chaos Warrior parts again to make my DA, i mean, given the amount of time to do it, it's unlikely that the same parts would be used again on more rank and file marines. Although after looking at your thoughts, it has given me a few ideas to pursue something, heh.

I know what you mean about the Warrior Champion Head. I will admit it IS one of the pieces i have laying around for him, but as you said, it is hitting the over used level, and it's only one of two heads i have put down. I may still go with something else, depends if i ever have time to sit down and really crank out the parts. Plus given kik's affect on me, it's actually a surprise i can get anything done in between the ooo'ing and ahh'ing between new eye candy. ^_^

A shame that kik started his WB before us, for the three of us combined would have made for an interesting band of Word Bearing Men :P

C'mon TAS, jump the bandwagon of bionic-apostles ;).

Looking good Raz, you've been talking about FB champion bits, the foot sloggin ones or something else? I happen to have some of those foot sloggers, but there weren't that kind of mace :P.

If you collect WB kik, the newest one (in theory) will have a listing of the Chaos Knights and you'll see some of the bits there (esp some of the new really juicy pieces).

At least, i think it's from the Knights...

I'll give the bionic apostles a thought or two :tu:

A shame that kik started his WB before us, for the three of us combined would have made for an interesting band of Word Bearing Men :P

Yes, we're men, wordy men! We're men in spiiiiiikes! :)

Yup, the crozius is from the new mounted Knights (these guys). It's actually two bits, from the bottom up to where the wrapping ends it's from one of their polearms, and everything above that is a mace (and actually there was a skull on top of it that I replaced with a spike from the footsloggers).

Thanks for the comment Asiriya. Once I get back to working on him I'll see what I can do. :D

Since you already have the knights box, how much of the kit would you say is readily usable for Word Bearers? I know weaponry and stuff are great, but things like the torsos and the like, do you think they would scale well? Or is it still one of those investments where its only the weapons that are helpful, and the rest being so-so ?

Well, I kinda assembled them before trying to figure out what I could use the torsos for... :) Oops. Nah, the torsos wouldn't work - too small, they don't look particularly power-armor-y, and the bottom part of them are flat (not that that wouldn't be easy to fix). It'd just look weird on a Chaos Marine. The arms/weapons are perfect, you could easily do some marines with shields, and don't get me started on how awesomely scary the heads are (similar to the Warrior heads, but more ornate). Shoulderpads are good, not particularly power armor-y, but they fit on a chaos marine nicely. The legs look marinely enough, especially if you sculpt them up. It'd just be difficult finding a use for them given the pose. Bikers, I guess, but having never assembled any I'm not sure whether they'd fit or not. As for the horses, obviously you'd really have to get creative. I've actually only got a few spare bits out of the whole thing, two or three shields, two heads, two lances (I gave the champion a sword and made a musician), a whole bunch of scary-lookin' CCWs, and a couple of random spiky bits they so kindly included. Unless you're looking to start a fantasy army, I'd say sell the horses, torsos, and legs to a fantasy-playing buddy (chances are whoever you're selling them to will have spares of everything else), keep the rest and use it all on Word Bearers.

Ended up buying a box before having read that :). A shame about the torsos, but you seem to have gravitated towards the idea i had about the legs!

However i'll have a look around and see what can be done. Plus, even if the torsos fall through, i'm sure they would work well on some other minis to use for 'cultists'.

(chances are whoever you're selling them to will have spares of everything else), keep the rest and use it all on Word Bearers.

I must admit that the new Chosen and Knights have really made me want to do a Fantasy Chaos army so this will go together just perfectly. ^_^

TDA

Haha, yeah, I'm currently detecting significant amounts of all-cavalry Undivided in my future (or maybe Khorne? Hmmm). :lol:

TAS, I forgot to mention, there are no duplicate shoulderpads or shield arms, though you've probably already noticed. Doesn't sound like you're planning on selling off any bits, though, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. ;) Using the torsos on cultists... I like it! ;) They probably would fit pretty well on Guardsmen legs, actually. Hm...

EDIT: Iz updaets tiem!

gallery_39401_2771_163825.jpg

Bit bumpy and uneven, but I plan on doing all those leering faces and such, so it won't show at all. That should be done tomorrow, along with the front section of the gorget/neck thingy. Gonna ask around at my FLGS for an Assault Termie sergeant head. If not, there's always Warstore.

Looking good!! ;)

Yeah, i had a look at the sprues last night and to be honest, the bits don't look THAT bad... Even the torsos don't look as small as i thought they would be. Granted they still look a few mm out from a normal SM torso, but they don't look too bad. However, there are some nice bits that would work well for a Dark Apostle. Just need to tweak things around.

Although with everyone doing 'bionic' DA's, i'm thinking i may have to follow suit ;)

Not exactly going for bionic apostle here, I just yoinked the stomach power cabling idea. A significant amount of work done. Headless right now, but otherwise all I need to do is the cape, the book in his outstretched hand, and maybe some extra impurity seals/spiky bits. Not exactly the best sculpting work on the torso, but painted right... well, hopefully it won't show (I might tweak the gorget a bit, as it looks a bit uneven). :lol:

gallery_39401_2771_17916.jpg

And then of course there is the problem of his base, which complicates things. I'm gonna need skulls. LOTS of skulls. I found a site a while back that sold plenty of rather nice-looking resin ones for cheap, but I can't seem to find it again...

EDIT: AHA! Here they are!

TAS, thanks for pointing that out, yeah, it's crooked. *fixes it*

Terminatorinhell, I'm thinking I'm gonna go for the Assault Terminator sergeant head (this).

Chaplainmikey, thanks. :devil:

Sarr, I'm thinking of bouncing him back and forth between being just a Lord with a Mark of Tzeentch (don't freak out, fluffites, I'm count-as-ing) and Daemon Weapon (which actually makes him wimpier than Leroy, so that's probably not what I'm gonna do), or a Sorcerer with MoT, and probably (since I still want him in CC, though getting him there is a problem) Warptime and Gift, and see which works best. Against your FRAKKING EMPEROR'S CHAMPION. ;)

I'm running my DA as a normal lord with a daemon weapon.

However, now that you mention the counting as bit, running him with renamed sorcerer abilities would work fine as well.

I should really try and see if i can clean up those Chaos Knights bits this weekend.

Glad to hear the Crozius was fixed up :D

Archived