New Necron Codex Questions

Azulz

Two gauss flayer arrays: The Ghost Ark has two separate arrays of five gauss flayers - one along each flank - enabling it to 'broadside' enemy units. The two arrays can shoot at different targets, although all guns in the same array must shoot at the same target

Wargear:

Two gauss flayer arrays

Personally, I'd rule these like hurricane Bolters. Two weapons, even though each weapon is made up of five guns.

Two gauss flayer arrays: The Ghost Ark has two separate arrays of five gauss flayers - one along each flank - enabling it to 'broadside' enemy units. The two arrays can shoot at different targets, although all guns in the same array must shoot at the same target

Wargear:

Two gauss flayer arrays

Personally, I'd rule these like hurricane Bolters. Two weapons, even though each weapon is made up of five guns.

Agreed.

Ghost ark Gauss Flayer array. 5 seperate guns or 1 combined?

Can we have a quote from C:N.

Please <_<

Apologies I broke my own rule of thumb without thinking about it!

My initial instinct was that they were different from Hurricane Bolters in that the second sentence of the descriptin of a broadside says "although all the guns in the same array must shoot at the same target" If the guns are infact one gun, they already by default have to shoot the same target do they not? As well the wording is of superficial difference from Hurricane Bolters in that it doesnt say that "A gauss flayer array is ___" But that "a barge has two sets of five"

I am quite torn, on the one hand it feels as though it is a hurricane bolter in nature and infact I cant find anywhere definitively that they are different but it doesnt feel right to treat them as one weapon either...

As well. If they are one weapon we begin to run into Line of sight/model issues, they are modeled quite clearly as 5 independant gauss flayers and how does one draw line of sight from 5 seperate mounting points?

It's funny, because GW have went out of their way to clarify these weapons and it is now being used against them!

I believe they anticipated being able to shoot at separate targets being a question so clarified it in advance, that's all. <_<

It's funny, because GW have went out of their way to clarify these weapons and it is now being used against them!

I believe they anticipated being able to shoot at separate targets being a question so clarified it in advance, that's all. :)

Couldnt they have just used the Hurricane bolter wording?

"A gauss flayer array consisters of 5 gauss flayers, fired as a single weapon. Each Array may target a seperate unit"

K here is another question guy, and I'm sorry for all the Necron vs Eldar questions, that's who I play most at the moment.

1. Mindshakle scarabs vs Eldrads Runes of Witnessing?

2. Anrakyr's Mind in the Machine, can I select a Fire Prism , (and if there is another Fire Prism in LOS) and fire the combined shot that they have?

K here is another question guy, and I'm sorry for all the Necron vs Eldar questions, that's who I play most at the moment.

1. Mindshakle scarabs vs Eldrads Runes of Witnessing?

2. Anrakyr's Mind in the Machine, can I select a Fire Prism , (and if there is another Fire Prism in LOS) and fire the combined shot that they have?

1) Not sure what the problem is between Runes of Witnessing and Mindshackle Scarabs? Nothing in the Necron Codex is pyschic based and Eldar only roll 3D6 and discard the lowest when taking Pyschic tests, which has nothing to do with said Scarabs.

2) I would say no, since you are only taking over and firing a single Eldar Fireprism.

Yes their initiative is reduced. The rule simply says "Canoptek Wraiths are never slowed by Difficult Terrain, and automatically pass Dangerous Terrain Tests".

Nothing in there to suggest assaulting units in cover allows the Wraiths to ignore the terrain.

Unfortunately.

Yes their initiative is reduced. The rule simply says "Canoptek Wraiths are never slowed by Difficult Terrain, and automatically pass Dangerous Terrain Tests".

Nothing in there to suggest assaulting units in cover allows the Wraiths to ignore the terrain.

Unfortunately.

I disagree :

ASSAULTING THROUGH COVER

To represent this, if an assaulting unit had to take a difficult or dangerous terrain test during their assault move, all of its models have their

Initiative value lowered to 1 when attacking, regardless of other Initiative modifiers.

If the Wraith is never slowed by Difficult Terrain, does it have to take a Difficult Terrain test?

If no, then the Initiative effects do not take effect because they trigger on the DT roll.

I disagree :
ASSAULTING THROUGH COVER

To represent this, if an assaulting unit had to take a difficult or dangerous terrain test during their assault move, all of its models have their

Initiative value lowered to 1 when attacking, regardless of other Initiative modifiers.

If the Wraith is never slowed by Difficult Terrain, does it have to take a Difficult Terrain test?

If no, then the Initiative effects do not take effect because they trigger on the DT roll.

This would be my understanding of the rule, the way I've always explained the lowered initiative to guys at my LGS is that if you take a difficult terrain test you get the lowered initiative, if you don't take it then I see no reason as to why you would lose initiative.

Unfortunately.

I disagree :

ASSAULTING THROUGH COVER

Dang. You're right!

100% withdraw my comment above.

Serves me right for not reading up on the assault rules! Been complacent playing Marines since they have Frag grenades all round...

But for Dangerous Terrain they do get their initiative reduced. The reason I say this is because as I don't have the codex I have to go off of what I see posted here and from what I know the rule is written as "Canoptek Wraiths are never slowed by Difficult Terrain, and automatically pass Dangerous Terrain Tests", now while they automatically pass dangerous terrain tests they are still called on to make them unlike the difficult terrain wording.

But for Dangerous Terrain they do get their initiative reduced. The reason I say this is because as I don't have the codex I have to go off of what I see posted here and from what I know the rule is written as "Canoptek Wraiths are never slowed by Difficult Terrain, and automatically pass Dangerous Terrain Tests", now while they automatically pass dangerous terrain tests they are still called on to make them unlike the difficult terrain wording.

I am in agreement on your reading of the rule on this. I suspect it will get FAQd, but as it currently stands Difficult has no effect on Wraiths while Dangerous does.

I'm not so sure about this. The rulebook states that a dangerous terrain test is the one where you roll a D6 and on a 1 the model takes a wound (BRB page 14), it doesn't mention that dangerous terrain tests require them to roll for terrain, that's difficult terrain. You have to roll that as well as IIRC in pretty much all instances dangerous terrain is in difficult terrain, but they are separate tests and different rules. They still autopass the tests, and aren't affected by it. I'd imagine the intent would be that they don't get lowered initiative no matter what terrain it is, and I'd say it makes sense to play it that way.

Archived