New Necron Codex Questions

Azulz

But for Dangerous Terrain they do get their initiative reduced. The reason I say this is because as I don't have the codex I have to go off of what I see posted here and from what I know the rule is written as "Canoptek Wraiths are never slowed by Difficult Terrain, and automatically pass Dangerous Terrain Tests", now while they automatically pass dangerous terrain tests they are still called on to make them unlike the difficult terrain wording.

I'm not so sure about this. The rulebook states that a dangerous terrain test is the one where you roll a D6 and on a 1 the model takes a wound (BRB page 14), it doesn't mention that dangerous terrain tests require them to roll for terrain, that's difficult terrain.

It doesnt matter for assaults. :)

"If an assault unit had to take a difficult or dangerous terrain test during their assault move, all of its models have their Initiative value..." pg 36

Did they have to take the test? Yes they just auto passed it. So their Init will be dropped. (But they should have Robo Lash Whips so its all good!)

Did they have to take the test? Yes they just auto passed it. So their Init will be dropped. (But they should have Robo Lash Whips so its all good!)

No, they didn't. "Taking" the test is rolling the dice- the result of the cube is where you discover if they passed or failed the test.

They automatically passed the test without taking the test. :P They're not affected by the terrain and do not have their initiative dropped. :)

But for Dangerous Terrain they do get their initiative reduced. The reason I say this is because as I don't have the codex I have to go off of what I see posted here and from what I know the rule is written as "Canoptek Wraiths are never slowed by Difficult Terrain, and automatically pass Dangerous Terrain Tests", now while they automatically pass dangerous terrain tests they are still called on to make them unlike the difficult terrain wording.

I'm not so sure about this. The rulebook states that a dangerous terrain test is the one where you roll a D6 and on a 1 the model takes a wound (BRB page 14), it doesn't mention that dangerous terrain tests require them to roll for terrain, that's difficult terrain. You have to roll that as well as IIRC in pretty much all instances dangerous terrain is in difficult terrain, but they are separate tests and different rules. They still autopass the tests, and aren't affected by it. I'd imagine the intent would be that they don't get lowered initiative no matter what terrain it is, and I'd say it makes sense to play it that way.

ASSAULTING THROUGH COVER

To represent this, if an assaulting unit had to take a difficult or dangerous terrain test during their assault move, all of its models have their

Initiative value lowered to 1 when attacking, regardless of other Initiative modifiers.

Just going out on a limb here and saying that Wraiths will drop initiative when assaulting into cover. (Might need an FAQ, but auto passing at test still requires that one takes a test to begin with.) Consider the C'Tan if you will, here you have a model that does not need to take difficult (or dangerous I believe) tests, however, GW saw fit to allow it to upgrade to have Offensive and defensive grenades. Now while this "proves" nothing, it does suggest that the intent of GW is that these models would need grenades to assault into cover.

Now this could just be GW giving a model a useless upgrade, or one that won't matter until 6e. But just some food for thought.

They automatically passed the test without taking the test. :) They're not affected by the terrain and do not have their initiative dropped. :lol:

Auto-passing something is not the same as not making something.

Vehicles dont take Leadership tests, Fearless units automatically pass them. (for example)

Quick! Someone who's not at work, find me the RAW in the opening pages of the book on "taking tests"! And, possibly (if you're feeling extra generous) the RAW on taking Difficult/Dangerous Terrain tests. :)

Prediction: RAW will state that "taking" a test involves rolling a die.

Conclusion: If you do not roll a die, you did not take a test. :)

@ breng77: Just like the GK Brotherhood Champion who always rerolls failed wounds with his Anointed Blade, and can also purchase Digital Weapons? :teehee:

Quick! Someone who's not at work, find me the RAW in the opening pages of the book on "taking tests"!

Sorry no can do, there exists no RAW in the opening pages of the book on "taking tests" only "Characteristics Tests" and "Leadership Tests"

Quick! Someone who's not at work, find me the RAW in the opening pages of the book on "taking tests"! And, possibly (if you're feeling extra generous) the RAW on taking Difficult/Dangerous Terrain tests.

Prediction: RAW will state that "taking" a test involves rolling a die.

Conclusion: If you do not roll a die, you did not take a test.

@ breng77: Just like the GK Brotherhood Champion who always rerolls failed wounds with his Anointed Blade, and can also purchase Digital Weapons?

point taken on digital weapons...

RAW there is no ruling on taking tests, in the BRB it states the basics of how the test is taken (i.e. most units roll a dice), however, some units break these rules. THe wording is important...automatically pass test = test taken and passed without rolling. If the rule said Wraiths ignore dangerous terrain, and move as normal, then no test would be taken. THough being I2 they strike after most things anyway.

same deal, says you normally roll dice when tested. The rulebook does not have any rules pertaining to automatically passing tests. In my mind you must actually be presented with a test to pass it automatically, the test happens, but you don't have to do anything to pass. I think this is another question for the FAQ.

No, automatically passing a test means that no matter what the results on the dice happen to be, you will automatically pass. People shortcut this by not bothering to roll at all.

Ignoring a difficult terrain test, means that you don't even take the test at all.

Wraiths are not slowed by difficult terrain does not mean they do not test.

under Characteristics Tests it does mention something along the lines of the auto-result for the test which would lead credence to the idea that if you automatically pass or fail you still took the test.

"Of course, if a model has to take a test for one of it's characteristics with a value of 0, it automatically fails."

That is the closest I can get you, plus what Brother Ranmas says is pretty much correct, think of it this way, are they called on to make the test? yes but no matter what you roll they pass it.

I have a quick question about the Canoptek Spyder unit, I don't have my codex in hand so I'll paraphrase based on my own fuzzy recollection of how the entry is worded.

The Scarab hive ability says that you roll a d6 and on a 2-6 get 1 new scarab base for a scarab unit within 6" of the spyder. The rule written in the Spyder's entry pretty expressedly says they get one swarm, but does this mean 1 base per spyder in a squadron or 1 base per squadron? We initially interpreted it to mean 1 base (and d6 roll) per spyder but then changed our mind that it mean 1 scarab base per unit.

Does anyone have an idea of the correct way to play this?

The rule applies even if you purchase just one spyder so, I would think its per spyder. But on that if the spyders ARE part of a unit, do the extra scarab bases and rolls have to be for the same scarab unit?

To me the 1 base per unit makes no sense, but the Necron player decided that's how it's played so that's how we played it. Personally the one base per Spyder makes much more sense and actually makes them worth their point cost (when considering squadrons of spiyders that is).

To me the 1 base per unit makes no sense, but the Necron player decided that's how it's played so that's how we played it. Personally the one base per Spyder makes much more sense and actually makes them worth their point cost (when considering squadrons of spiyders that is).

Does he think each Spyder in the unit takes a Wound if the Spyders screw up their roll? Cuz that's silly.

Each Spyder can make a Scarab base, and each Spyder is subject to the possible failure of its roll to create it. A unit of 3 Spyders can make 3 Scarab bases per turn, but the unit can also suffer 3 Wounds as a result if it has REALLY REALLY REALLY bad luck (there's only a .4% chance of that happening).

Hey guys,

jumping briefly back up to the assaulting into cover debate, has anyone noticed that the C'Tan ignores all terrain... But can then (as one of it's powers) purchase assault grenades!

Archived