New Necron Codex Questions

Azulz

Gentlemanloser is exactly right. It's a redundancy, as is saying Wraiths have Frag Grenades.

I think GW isn't completely clear on how ignoring terrain works.

The C'Tan ability is either totally redundant, or it's in preparation for 6th edition being worded differently. Maybe Assault Grenades will have an additional use?

Gentlemanloser is exactly right. It's a redundancy, as is saying Wraiths have Frag Grenades.

I think GW isn't completely clear on how ignoring terrain works.

The C'Tan ability is either totally redundant, or it's in preparation for 6th edition being worded differently. Maybe Assault Grenades will have an additional use?

Maybe we'll be going back to the 2nd edition-ish use? Frag grenades = S3/AP-/Assault 1, Blast? :D

So there is an Spanish errata and for the rest of us only the old one so do we let the spanish one stand or not? Your thoughts please...

If its not on your native GW site. Best bet is to ignore it.

Agreed. Besides, an English language one might give a different answer :P

What is this about Wraiths testing for terrain?

They ignore it completely so how can they get there I value lowered if they ignore that piece.

Also the rule in the previous dex was described the same and they still held there I of 6 when that was around, why the sudden change?

They ignore it completely so how can they get there I value lowered if they ignore that piece.

Also the rule in the previous dex was described the same and they still held there I of 6 when that was around, why the sudden change?

If you read it entirely we were talking about dangerous terrain not Difficult :)

If you read it entirely we were talking about dangerous terrain not Difficult ;)

I didnt mention dangerous nor difficult, dont make a comment about not reading while you havent read mine completely ;)

:lol:

If you read it entirely we were talking about dangerous terrain not Difficult ;)

I didnt mention dangerous nor difficult, dont make a comment about not reading while you havent read mine completely ;)

In answer to your question, see my post here :http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=2923866.

The way the current Wraith rule is worded they ignore Difficult Terrain test, thus wouldn't be reduced to Initiative 1 for it but they automatically pass Dangerous Terrain tests, thus would be slowed by it (on the theory that even if you automatically pass it you were still called to take the test). Automatically passing and ignoring being two different things.

I did read yours. My Point is still valid. They only ignore Difficult... ;) (What Dswanick said.) Of course you're free to believe that Automatically passing tests = ignoring terrain but that is up to you.

One more Monolith question:

The new version of the Monolith allows a single non-vehicle unit either deployed on the table, or in reserve to "immediately" disembark from the portal on the Monolith model. Is this essentially a way to skip rolling for reserves for a given unit? Can you perform this on Turn One for a unit in Reserve?

One more Monolith question:

The new version of the Monolith allows a single non-vehicle unit either deployed on the table, or in reserve to "immediately" disembark from the portal on the Monolith model. Is this essentially a way to skip rolling for reserves for a given unit? Can you perform this on Turn One for a unit in Reserve?

Barring a more complete quote of the rule - it sure sounds like it. ;)

Is this essentially a way to skip rolling for reserves for a given unit?

No. By the time Dimensional corridor is used all normal reserve rolls should have already been rolled for that turns Movement phase [bRB p94]:

"you must roll for reserves as soon as possible and must bring them onto the table as soon as they are able.

[...]

You may not delay making dice rolls

[...]"

To me that means reserves rolls first, then everything else after. So no skipping a reserves roll I'm afraid.

Can you perform this on Turn One for a unit in Reserve?

I can't see why not.

Cheers

I

Another question.

If a C'Tan shard with Gaze of Death, assaults a unit in area terrain, do they get a cover save from it ,in the assault phase???

I'm thinking of the Mawloc thing here. Not sure what it's called.

Barring a more complete quote of the rule - it sure sounds like it.
"At the start of the movement phase, choose one friendly unengaged non-vehicle Necron unit on the battlefield or in reserve. That unit immediately..." (C:N p.47)

I agree, can do it on the 1st turn.

Can the Corridor then pull things out of a transport?
I would say yes, but not if it embarked into the transport that turn. The unit " 'disembarks' from the Monolith's portal." A unit cannot voluntarily embark and disembark in the same turn. (BRB p.66)

If a C'Tan shard with Gaze of Death assaults a unit in area terrain, do they get a cover save from [the Gaze] in the assault phase
I would say no, and the precedent is with the Grey Knight Holocaust. That actually has a full weapon stat-line, even though it is executed in the same way. Gaze of Death, on the other hand, has no ranged weapon stat-line and doesn't count as a shooting attack in any way.

So, which comes first, the reserve rolls or the Monolith's ability? Is the successful Reserves roll a requirement for a unit to be eligible for using the portal, or not?

It's hardly a game-breaker, I was just curious how it can be used. Might be a good way for a Necron player to keep certain units safe if they have to go second in a game. Declare the fragile big guns as in reserve, and then immediately pull them onto the board via Portal in the Necrons' first Movement phase.

So, which comes first, the reserve rolls or the Monolith's ability? Is the successful Reserves roll a requirement for a unit to be eligible for using the portal, or not?

It's hardly a game-breaker, I was just curious how it can be used. Might be a good way for a Necron player to keep certain units safe if they have to go second in a game. Declare the fragile big guns as in reserve, and then immediately pull them onto the board via Portal in the Necrons' first Movement phase.

Well, the rules for Reserves states you must make the rolls first. The Monolith ability states you may select a unit from Reserves, but makes no mention of them being "available". So I would say roll for Reserves and place them as indicated in the Reserve rules, then you may take one unit which did not become available and deploy it per the Monolith rules.

I would say yes, but not if it embarked into the transport that turn. The unit " 'disembarks' from the Monolith's portal." A unit cannot voluntarily embark and disembark in the same turn. (BRB p.66)

In this case, wouldn't Codex > BRB override that rule?

In this case, wouldn't Codex > BRB override that rule?

Unfortunately I don't believe so, the Monolith rule doesn't specifically state that it can be used to override the "no embark & disembark" rule so you still have to abide by that restriction.

Where does it say anywhere that the unit had to be embarked or was embarked on the Monolith?

Edit: That was really poorly written. my point was that unless you voluntarily embark at the start of the turn the Lith doesnt actually involve Embarkation in any way.

When you use the portal the unit phases and then disembarks from the 'lith. The only only bit in the Disembark rules that contradicts this is the first line which just says when you may disembark. The Corridor over writes this quite directly by stating when it embarks.

Edit 2: Wouldnt the portal go off prior to embarkation as well? Since it is at the start of the movement?

Where does it say anywhere that the unit had to be embarked or was embarked on the Monolith?

Edit: That was really poorly written. my point was that unless you voluntarily embark at the start of the turn the Lith doesnt actually involve Embarkation in any way.

When you use the portal the unit phases and then disembarks from the 'lith. The only only bit in the Disembark rules that contradicts this is the first line which just says when you may disembark. The Corridor over writes this quite directly by stating when it embarks.

It doesn't. I think the situation being discussed is like this:

Warrior Squad A is standing in a grassy field, 4" from a Ghost Ark and 36" from a Monolith. The Warrior Squad moves so that every model is within 2" of the Ark, and hops aboard (embarks). The controlling player then decides to use the Monolith Portal to pull Squad A out of the transport and disembark them within 2" of the portal.

That scenario is illegal, because the unit has both embarked and disembarked in the same turn.

If the scenaio was the following, it'd be legal.

Warrior Squad A is embarked on a Ghost Ark, which is 36" from a Monolith. The controlling player declares the squad abord the Ark will be pulled through the portal and disembark within 2" of the portal.

It doesn't. I think the situation being discussed is like this:

Warrior Squad A is standing in a grassy field, 4" from a Ghost Ark and 36" from a Monolith. The Warrior Squad moves so that every model is within 2" of the Ark, and hops aboard (embarks). The controlling player then decides to use the Monolith Portal to pull Squad A out of the transport and disembark them within 2" of the portal.

That scenario is illegal, because the unit has both embarked and disembarked in the same turn.

If the scenaio was the following, it'd be legal.

Warrior Squad A is embarked on a Ghost Ark, which is 36" from a Monolith. The controlling player declares the squad abord the Ark will be pulled through the portal and disembark within 2" of the portal.

You are of course correct ;) . But missed my second edit after my momentary insanity.

Portal would go off before any embarkation anyway so in this case its a surprisingly well written rule that avoids any issues yes?

Archived