Fanthology -- Lots of work yet to do.

JeffTibbetts

Ok we're getting a little side tracked here with Anothlogy #2 (when chaos comes to call). When we still need to do #1 (Giving Libbys the love they deserve ... and other stories). But seriously whats the next step Jeff?

LOL. So here's what's up: MasterHQ will be away for a few days, but we need to have a good chat and make any hard decisions that need to be made (AKA final decisions about what stories to include). Once that's done, I or maybe we will be contacting the writers and asking for additional drafts (some of them first drafts) and providing a bit of input. Once we have a working draft of each, we will begin trading the stories around and peer editing each other's work. That's the fun bit. 

On one side, I really hope I make the final cut, but on the other, I'm a bit apprehensive about the work needed to be done to make my/our stories good in the little free time that I have :sweat:

On one side, I really hope I make the final cut, but on the other, I'm a bit apprehensive about the work needed to be done to make my/our stories good in the little free time that I have sweat.gif

If it makes you feel better, I'm super busy too. :D We'll do our best. This is, after all, fan fiction and as mentioned, we all have day jobs. Don't sweat it, brother.

• 4 weeks later...

As of yesterday I've made contact with everyone I needed to, so an update will be coming tonight, hopefully. I'm also dealing with a car accident IRL so I need to do some car shopping and bank wrangling. I'll try my best to write up a formal update tonight with some more information. Thanks for keeping up on it! 

Car accidents are never good. Here's hoping everything works out alright for you!

Truth be told, I'm starting to hope my submission didn't make the cut - it's rather stopped being fun to work on it, so that's a definite sign I need to rethink my idea! sweat.gif

Well, we've made some pretty tough decisions, but we're ready to move forward. 

First, a few authors submitted multiple story ideas. We've chosen to limit each to one a piece, largely due to length. 

Second, we had to ask a couple authors to hold their submissions until our next go. I think the extra time will only make them stronger. 

That leaves us with 16 story ideas and as many writers. 

Here's what's up:

1. We need a rough draft now of all the selected stories (full list below). Again, we're looking for roughly 3,000 words, but don't sweat it too much. During the editing process they will surely expand and contract a bit. I'd like these drafts in by end of July (I know this is tight but I'm optimistic). Many of the stories are already pretty close. If you feel you're fine with the draft you submitted, just shoot me a message or reply to this thread. 
  2. Beginning in August, I'll trade stories around and get some peer editing feedback. MasterHQ and myself will also offer our own comments freely. I would love to set up either Google Hangouts or Skype calls for some in-depth feedback during this time. We’ll all have to try our best to make ourselves available (keep in mind we’re split between Europe, the US, and possibly other places).
  3. My goal is to have at least three meaningful feedback sessions per story. In between these sessions, I'd love to see new drafts so we can watch the stories grow over time. Sometimes it’s good to go back to something from before, so save the old versions, please. 
  4. We'll see how fast these move (I'd like to pick up the pace to stay ahead of real life schedules) but it'd be great to see them getting close by the end of August. At that point we'll be thinking about putting them in order and handing off finished work to MasterHQ to move towards the final anthology. 

I've received requests from a couple of folks who would like to help with proofing and offering feedback. If you're not comfortable with having someone read and comment who is not a writer or editor on the project, please let me know ASAP. I want you all to feel safe and putting your stuff out there can be awkward for some. Again, just PM me with any concerns or questions. Also, if anyone wants my Google Hangout info or my cell number for texting, let me know via PM.

Now that the initial work is done, we'll be opening up a lot and moving fast to build energy. Hit me up! 

The list of authors and titles (where provided) of stories is as follows:

I'd like these drafts in by end of July (I know this is tight but I'm optimistic).

blink.png

A week to type up a 3000 word story, eh? Sounds like a challenge.

I'd like these drafts in by end of July (I know this is tight but I'm optimistic).

blink.png

A week to type up a 3000 word story, eh? Sounds like a challenge.

You can do it, man! I believe in you! :D If not, no big deal. Get it in when you can.

Agreed, but it's only the first draft (for me) so the first feedback would be helpful.

If you'd like to chat with me a bit about it before you get started I'd be more than happy to. Or I can shoot you an email or PM here. Whatever you prefer. Needless to say you'll get plenty of feedback after that draft but if you want some ahead of time, hit me up.

Sent you a Z-Mail JT, a self edited first draft just for yall tongue.png

I got it. Thank ye, sir. Wait, what's the "Z" in Z-Mail then? Zpecial? Zippy? Zangief?

OK, it's official - I'm gonna have to drop out. sad.png
I know this seems awfully defeatist, but I just don't have the sort of free time I used to have back when this project started.

Sorry, guys. sweat.gif

Stupid real life mutter mutter grumble grumble...

Is 3k words the limit? Maybe it's better I didn't see this early, then. 3k words is nothing at all...

Yeah, that's the( rough) limit. We're going for very short stories, because it's more reflective of the sort of short-form digital format stories you'd find posted on the forum. We may do a longer one someday but for now the length seems about perfect.

Well, we've made some pretty tough decisions, but we're ready to move forward. 

First, a few authors submitted multiple story ideas. We've chosen to limit each to one a piece, largely due to length. 

Second, we had to ask a couple authors to hold their submissions until our next go. I think the extra time will only make them stronger. 

That leaves us with 16 story ideas and as many writers. 

Here's what's up:

1. We need a rough draft now of all the selected stories (full list below). Again, we're looking for roughly 3,000 words, but don't sweat it too much. During the editing process they will surely expand and contract a bit. I'd like these drafts in by end of July (I know this is tight but I'm optimistic). Many of the stories are already pretty close. If you feel you're fine with the draft you submitted, just shoot me a message or reply to this thread. 
  2. Beginning in August, I'll trade stories around and get some peer editing feedback. MasterHQ and myself will also offer our own comments freely. I would love to set up either Google Hangouts or Skype calls for some in-depth feedback during this time. We’ll all have to try our best to make ourselves available (keep in mind we’re split between Europe, the US, and possibly other places).
  3. My goal is to have at least three meaningful feedback sessions per story. In between these sessions, I'd love to see new drafts so we can watch the stories grow over time. Sometimes it’s good to go back to something from before, so save the old versions, please. 
  4. We'll see how fast these move (I'd like to pick up the pace to stay ahead of real life schedules) but it'd be great to see them getting close by the end of August. At that point we'll be thinking about putting them in order and handing off finished work to MasterHQ to move towards the final anthology. 

I've received requests from a couple of folks who would like to help with proofing and offering feedback. If you're not comfortable with having someone read and comment who is not a writer or editor on the project, please let me know ASAP. I want you all to feel safe and putting your stuff out there can be awkward for some. Again, just PM me with any concerns or questions. Also, if anyone wants my Google Hangout info or my cell number for texting, let me know via PM.

Now that the initial work is done, we'll be opening up a lot and moving fast to build energy. Hit me up! 

The list of authors and titles (where provided) of stories is as follows:

Still hate my title but yay made the cut. Erm as far as a first draft goes I'm fairly comfortable with it as is but will revisit it on my one day off next week just incase I've made any general errors. Erm as far as people reading my stuff goes I'm quite happy with it. What's the point in writing if you don't want it read eh? I've already done a basic copyright so that's the big thing. Not that I don't trust you all of course. Anyway glad you enjoyed as I say if I do have a revised copy you'll have it by tuesday night.

Archived