= New chapters =

Philip S

I really like the looks of the Tauromarch Corps.

I wonder what those tech "whizbangs" are?

The OFFICE pun is very good indeed. :D

I'm not sure if the =][= would like the fact of a Cult Mechanicus. They weren't best pleased with the Steel Confessors were discovered and were going to exterminate the chapter, only the High Lords of Terra to order them not to.

The Scouts part confuses me a little but I like the concept. I hope to see more chapters soon. :Elite:

Cambrius

They are good, and as most of your chapters, especially with your talented predilection for photoshopped custom marines.

I like them but they need a bit 'more'. How do they operate? Do they act like any other marine chapter with spanners? Are they completely mindless followers of the Cult Mechanicus? What is their relation with the Ad Mech and the Cult Mech given the almost inevitable devisions between them?

Its interesting to note that as a cult mechanicus satellite, they aren't dressed in crimson and don't use the mechanicus symbology. Perhaps indicative of some strained relations? Perhaps I just read into things too much :devil:

• 1 year later...

Since writing these I've updated my site. New link: Space Marine chapters and for those who speak French: Space Marines par Philip Sibbering

I'm in the process of doing yet another update, so in a couple of mouths this thread may be updated yet again!

I wonder what those tech "whizbangs" are?

Multi-lasers :( Basically fancy weapons and gear, more 'Rogue Trader' era marines and gear.

The Scouts part confuses me a little but I like the concept.

Which bit?

Its interesting to note that as a cult mechanicus satellite, they aren't dressed in crimson and don't use the mechanicus symbology. Perhaps indicative of some strained relations? Perhaps I just read into things too much :P

Read away! I quite like the idea that the marines, although a front for the Cult-Mechanicus may actually 'go marine' and get all independent and start acting like a proper marine chapter. This may be because the geneseed is nice and clean, and so their tenancies push towards being as the Emperor intended them (a case of the Cult being too good?)

Thanks both of you for you ideas! ;)

Philip

PS: I have not forgotten this forum and I still keep and eye on it! :P You all proved very helpful in developing the concepts. :huh:

• 9 months later...

It's been a while - I've split up my massive Space Marine Chapter page on my website into individual pages for easier viewing. The new Index of my Chapters is here

I've updated a few of them, but still haven't gotten around to finish off the origins - waiting for inspiration to strike! And I'm distracted by my other projects :D

Philip

I gotta agree with Dazzo here, it looks a lot sharper than it did.

As to finishing your chapters, your in good company that's for sure.

I'm still finishing off my Blazing Sons, and my more recent Bloodsworn chapters, the Blazing Sons having been sitting in Liber back-pages for a while now as inspiration migrated from them to the Bloodsworn who themselves have hit a wall with 'real life' suddenly jumping up and down wanting to be heard.

I gotta agree with Dazzo here, it looks a lot sharper than it did.

Thanks mate :tu:

As to finishing your chapters, your in good company that's for sure.

I'm still finishing off my Blazing Sons, and my more recent Bloodsworn chapters, the Blazing Sons having been sitting in Liber back-pages for a while now as inspiration migrated from them to the Bloodsworn who themselves have hit a wall with 'real life' suddenly jumping up and down wanting to be heard.

My attention shifted over to my game development ideas (my pet project WarSpike / development cycle) which has been keeping busy in my space time, plus teaming up with Troll Forged Miniatures which cast up fan sculpts and sells them (forum | shop | blog). I really like the TFM project as it gives new sculptors a chance, I have been a bit heavily involved lately - I even sort out the website, blending it with a wordpress.com blog (keeping costs down) and did a bit of forum/ project organising.

This is related to Space Marines in a round about way; the WarSpike rules could be used as a swap in for 40K. There is talk of making a Space Marine like archetype for WarSpike that is the same size as a 'true scale' marine. This may be of interest to some 40K fans who may wish to use these as a base to build 40K true scale marines (if you swap in GW bits). Plus Doghouse has expressed an interest, so you never know...

I think when the dust settles I'll get back to my chapters and expand them - now they are on separate pages I can really go nuts with them!

Philip

Looks awesome mate, just one question if I update an image say to correct a spelling or chapters that have been trimmed due to poor compilation(on my part that is) will that mess up your end of it? Also if I add extra groups will that appear automatically or should I let you know so you can update it.

Looks awesome mate, just one question if I update an image say to correct a spelling or chapters that have been trimmed due to poor compilation(on my part that is) will that mess up your end of it? Also if I add extra groups will that appear automatically or should I let you know so you can update it.

The way I figure it;

1. First we get to 1,000 (using your blog, and my page, to get feedback and act as promotion).
  2. When we have 1,000, you reorganise it all, work out a links list/ credits etc on your blog (your blog is the 'hub' of the project)
  3. When this is all done - send me the updates and I'll redo the page and put in the links in the popups.

Sound like a plan?

The links back to your blog will enable people can chip in and register new chapters. Chapters after 1,000 can be compiled into a new section.

hmm, this should go in the other thread... linky

Philip

• 3 weeks later...

Red Suns

This is a new Chapter I am thinking of adding to my list.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/PSibbering/Chapters/Red_Suns_1.jpg

It is a Japanese inspired Chapter.

A Blood Angel successor.

Icon is the Blood Sun (red giant of home world), and is also seen as a single blood drop of purity and sacrifice.

Lots of death companies but wear white (white is the colour of death in Japan) with special 'Kamikaze rush!' attack.

Gun blades!

They are recruited from Hive World 'Yakuza' gangs.

Marines named after Japanese Demons like: 'AKUMA'

As marines gain experience they gain marking and inscriptions, often written in blood.

A chapter of two halves; the controlled martial side and the raving demons of the death company. All marines see their 'soul demon' as giving them strength, but all know they will loose to it immense power as they age. There is pride in both having an iron will but also being gifted with a particularity powerful demon. Falling into the death company is not a 'shame' more a glorious savage moment of purity that washes away all sin, ending it their sacrifice for the Chapter and the Emperor.

?

Philip

A chapter of two halves; the controlled martial side and the raving demons of the death company. All marines see their 'soul demon' as giving them strength, but all know they will loose to it immense power as they age. There is pride in both having an iron will but also being gifted with a particularity powerful demon. Falling into the death company is not a 'shame' more a glorious savage moment of purity that washes away all sin, ending it their sacrifice for the Chapter and the Emperor.

This is really intriguing. The information above is a bit too strong, too much like 'samurai in space' rather than having the more subtle influences that are present in the piece I have quoted. What I like is the way they view the curse as a strength or a blessing rather than anything else. Though I would be wary of the liberal use of the word 'demon' in reference to it. Perhaps qualify the term 'demon' in use regarding the chapter.

I also like that they aren't just Samurai, that there is more to it than the typical, generalized Japanese martial aspect. I like the sword you've created for them, though I am not much of a fan of Gunblades in general, it looks alright.

with special 'Kamikaze rush!' attack.

I don't like this at all. Works fine for the Imperial Guard where they have the manpower to implement such tactics, but Astartes aren't widespread enough to be thrown away so easily. You could just as effectively create the same mentality of never surrendering or retreating from an attack they have started in the chapters character rather than have them as 'Kamikaze's'.

This is really intriguing. The information above is a bit too strong, too much like 'samurai in space' rather than having the more subtle influences that are present in the piece I have quoted. What I like is the way they view the curse as a strength or a blessing rather than anything else. Though I would be wary of the liberal use of the word 'demon' in reference to it. Perhaps qualify the term 'demon' in use regarding the chapter.

They are a bit 'samurai in space' much like the Eldar are 'Elves in Space', it doesn't mean the archetype will not be twisted about a bit before I am done :(

I'll replace 'demon', probably with a Japanese word, but the fact they are all named after demons probably give the game away. It's basically the personification of the 'black rage'. I figure the culture of the recruiting world is such that the resulting marines do not see it so much as a curse but as a power, and such power will corrupt them - in the sense that "all power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". This is where the pride is, because if your fate is to have absolute power granted to you by Sanguinius, then you will obviously succumb to such awesome power. The only option in this case is to direct it at the enemy before you turn on your own. Therefore, in their minds, only the more powerful and wilful can hope to control it, but they also know the power will take over when the time, and fate, ordains it.

it also serves as a backup if all else fails, they believe that in times of dire need they will gain this power and sacrifice themselves. The 'Kamikaze' or 'divine wind' sweeping away the enemies of the Emperor.

I also like that they aren't just Samurai, that there is more to it than the typical, generalized Japanese martial aspect. I like the sword you've created for them, though I am not much of a fan of Gunblades in general, it looks alright.

They will draw Samurai, Ninja, Ronin, Monk, archetypes. The demon aspect is more the personification of power, and the personalities that surface when powered up.

with special 'Kamikaze rush!' attack.

I don't like this at all. Works fine for the Imperial Guard where they have the manpower to implement such tactics, but Astartes aren't widespread enough to be thrown away so easily. You could just as effectively create the same mentality of never surrendering or retreating from an attack they have started in the chapters character rather than have them as 'Kamikaze's'.

This 'Kamikaze rush!' is not available to all marines, only to the Death Company. It is a variant of the Death Company mythos and rules, tweaks to suit but basically the same thing.

Philip

This 'Kamikaze rush!' is not available to all marines, only to the Death Company. It is a variant of the Death Company mythos and rules, tweaks to suit but basically the same thing.

Oh I completely forgot the Blood Angels aspect. Sorry there Phillip, I should have remembered that.

In that case, it makes more sense and works fine. I should have worked that out for myself.

This is where the pride is, because if your fate is to have absolute power granted to you by Sanguinius, then you will obviously succumb to such awesome power. The only option in this case is to direct it at the enemy before you turn on your own. Therefore, in their minds, only the more powerful and wilful can hope to control it, but they also know the power will take over when the time, and fate, ordains it.

Again I'll say I really like this and would love to see more of it, expanded upon. It seems like we've gotten two fairly opposing views on the Blood Angels at this point. My Bloodsworn take the curse as a curse and try to suppress it through meditation and detachment from the world, or more specifically the battle raging around them to keep themselves free of the Black Rage. Yours see it as a blessing and a gift.

I think the reason I like it mostly is because I didn't think of it, and that means someone is showing me something new. Seeing new things is always fantastic.

Great concept there Philip! I love the powersword/bolter combo, although I can't see how the marines hold it up to fire. :D

The seeing of the black rage as a blessing's a new concept to me I must say and a brilliant one! How do you come up with such inspired ideas? I must know!

Cambrius

So no one thinks it's a bit close to the Ork's Evil Sunz clan?

I'll replace 'demon', probably with a Japanese word, but the fact they are all named after demons probably give the game away.

Yōkai

Looks good to me ;)

In that case, it makes more sense and works fine.

Good to hear. I was a bit worried that it may seem cheesy, but I think I can get away with it by using the death company - seems a natural fit, plus a little background may work out in the long run.

Seeing new things is always fantastic.

I like seeing new things too, seeing how others view the world through their creations. With the Red Suns the Blood Angels seemed a natural choice, and it was easy to write up the concept once I had it. Sometimes inspiration is intermittent - I haven't written up a new chapter for ages!

Looking good phil, your new chapter has been added to the pot :D

Um, oh, OK! ^_^

Great concept there Philip! I love the powersword/bolter combo, although I can't see how the marines hold it up to fire. ;)

Point the sword and bang! Kind hold it like a fencer, and the finger trigger at the rear. In the page I am working up I had to cut the finger trigger off as it was too long :(

The seeing of the black rage as a blessing's a new concept to me I must say and a brilliant one! How do you come up with such inspired ideas? I must know!

Get inside the head of other people and cultures and try to see it from their point of view. Imagine what the world would be like if you applied their view point and ideas.

+

Rough into

The Red Suns are a fourth (4th) founding chapter. In the earliest days many on Edo considered this to be an ill omen as '4' pronounced shi, is a homophone for death. It was only later that the truth of the Blood Angel heritage was to manifest and the omen understood. On the eve of invasion many marines fell into a maddening rage and scribed their armour in blood. As Orks attacked in the twilight hours, smashing into the Hives of Edo, the true power of the marines was released for all to see. In the massacre that followed the marine veteran Akuma slaughtered over 200 Orks, 100 to the left, 100 to the right, and the mighty Warboss Kha-Gan in violent orgy of destruction before succumbing to the fires burning within his blood. It is said his countenance glowed with a halo of gold, his face red and distorted with rage, and his armour was slick with black oil blood that fell like rain from his hewing strokes. A true 'Blood Angel' touched by Sanguinius himself, but alas such glorious power could not be contained with a mortal man, even a marine, and death was inevitable. Yet the people of Edo did not shy away from this terrible power - but embraced their Angels as giving all to save their world. In time 'death' has become 'sacrifice', and at the shrine of Sanguinius many weep for their lost sons during the ritual of blood.

??? I'm sure I read "50 to the left, 50 to the right" somewhere? Slaine comic?

Too cheesy?

Anyway - the world is Edo, a hive world. Edo is the old name for Tokyo. 4 is bad luck in Japan. Akuma is a demon. Kha-Gan is a not so subtle tongue in cheek reference to 'Khagan' or Khârn and relates to the Mongol invasions, where the Mongols suffered heavy losses due to storms. Except instead of storms its the Red Suns killing everything.

Now can this be a fourth founding chapter of the Blood Angels?

Philip

It's strange, usually I find Blood Angels successors unappealing, but with just a bit of Asian twist, I love it. This includes both these guys and Ydalir's Bloodsworn.

The intro seems good. All the tidbits of Japanese culture and history sprinkled in there are very nice. Edo may or may not be too much, but I'm not sure how well known that old name is. I personally have never heard of it before, so I approve. I would change Akuma though. It's a cool name and being a Japanese demon is not a problem, but immediately think of the guy in street fighter.

As for the founding, I'm a fan of Blood Angels successors being founded early so fourth is a-ok by me.

It's strange, usually I find Blood Angels successors unappealing, but with just a bit of Asian twist, I love it. This includes both these guys and Ydalir's Bloodsworn.

I glad to hear this as I wanted to rework the theme of the Blood Angels but also keep much of the ethos. To show them in a new light.

The intro seems good. All the tidbits of Japanese culture and history sprinkled in there are very nice. Edo may or may not be too much, but I'm not sure how well known that old name is. I personally have never heard of it before, so I approve.

A romanticised version is 'Yaddo'?

I would change Akuma though. It's a cool name and being a Japanese demon is not a problem, but immediately think of the guy in street fighter.

LOL. I think Japanese folklore turns up in some many places no matter what you name the marines it going to have been in a computer game, anime or manga!

As for the founding, I'm a fan of Blood Angels successors being founded early so fourth is a-ok by me.

Cool.

+++

I'm also thinking of working in Maneki Neko a type of Bakeneko, in the form of cyber-cats built using cyber-cherub technology and achaeotech stealth fields. The work as the eyes and ears of the chapter and go places marines, and even regular humans, can not go within the great hives. This allows the chapter to see all and spy on everyone, and the cats could hunt down rogue spy tech. The Bakeneko (cyber-cats) would have many legends told about them in the hives of Yaddo, some may be evil, some may be like the Maneki Neko. The point is I can have cyber Maneki Neko!

Philip

I thought the red circle on white background was a bit too similar to the Japanese flag, so how about;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/PSibbering/Chapters/Red_Suns_2.jpg

?

Apparently black is the colour of honour in Japan.

Philip

Cyber-cats lurking around the hives of Yaddo is very cool.

I may design one - I wonder how anime to go? Or a weird grimdark steampunk anime hybrid thing...

And I'm liking the change in the color scheme, but I just noticed the purple eyes. Personally I don't think it goes well with the red, so i would just have the eyes red too.

I like the colour, reminds me of some lenses I saw. Red could be quite nice, as there would be four points of red, N, E, S, W - surrounding the Eagle (some kind of blood charm symbolism?).

Philip

Archived