Salamander Terminators

Psythu

Hi there! Been lurking around for a while, and now I've got something to post. Thoughts on these are welcome, I'm new to sculpting so tips would be useful ;)

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6546/squadmalleowip003forumsje9.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2166/squadmalleowip004forumsoj6.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9869/squadmalleowip001forumsuy9.jpg

I think the terminators themselves apart from the head choice look really great. The scales are cool. It be interesting to see where you add flames or the badge to the model. The poses are well done also.

As a theme are the termies actual salimanders as in a mutant or chaos sallies? Or are the heads sallie helmets shaped like salimanders?

i think they look realy good

the heads im not to sure about at first i thought its a helmet but i think the ones with there mouths open dont look like helmets

as for the sculpting i cant see much wrong with it

i also like the bases the look simple but cool

cant wait to see them painted

nice miniatures but not sure about the ead,they seem more mutant to me than space marine,maybe try to mkae them more helm like,possibly flatterning their mounts to look like armor?i remember when i made some concept sketches about dragon like helmets based opu average marines helmet if you want i'll search them for you:)

nice miniatures but not sure about the ead,they seem more mutant to me than space marine,maybe try to mkae them more helm like,possibly flatterning their mounts to look like armor?i remember when i made some concept sketches about dragon like helmets based opu average marines helmet if you want i'll search them for you:)

That sounds good, I'm open to ways of improving the heads (since it's the bit no-one so far has liked :devil: ). As for the mouths, I'm sure the Salamanders' famous expert artificers could find a way of making opening-mouth helmets :tu:

I actually like the heads. It makes them look scarier, more foreboding, which is something that I think loyalist marines have been lacking recently. Plus, you've obviously spent a lot of money or effort to acquire them, so you may as well keep them.

What I think might help you would be to decide whether these are regular helmets crafted to look like drakes' heads, or trophy heads being worn as helmets. Then, add some details to support whichever option you choose. If they're dragon shaped helmets, add some flat armor panels, lense,s wires, etc. If they're severed lizard heads, do something to indicated that, like adding straps to hold them in place, ragged edges at the neck, or something like that.

I have to agree with everyone else, the Termies look awesome except for the head. If you scuplt some metal type plates and wires on them, they would look more like helmets. I would give that a try. Other than that you are doing an awesome job. I can't wait to see them painted.

:huh:

I like the heads also. I think that if you allow for a little additional material to the heads you can obtain a great helmet lokk upon painting. Maybe it's as simple as adding a comms array th the side or something like that.

I have a slamader marine in my deathwatch thati used a beakie head and the snout of an old lizardman tocreate his helmet. I think to allow more character to the Salamnders Chapter the use of Lizardman bits is very useful.

Instead of lizard heads, which are relatively difficult to pull off convincingly, try using the heads on the hammers. Also, to reinforce the fact that the heads are HELMETS, panting them in metallics really helps. The addition of some 'techy' element to them would also help a great deal.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 2 weeks later...
what you could try, if you have access to any chaos vehicle sprues, the lascannon muzzle replacements. I have a few of those on models throughout my berzerker army and because they are alot cleaner with a few more tech elements they come off looking much more like helmets than demon heads

• 2 months later...

Right, I've finally started painting these fellas. One's almost complete now, I'd love some feedback on the colour scheme I eventually chose. He needs some touching up (especially on the head), so still PIP for now.

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/8075/squadmalleopipmontagefoaw1.jpg

I have to say, that as a former Lizardmen player, I love the heads. Sure, they're a bit over the top, but the ones with closed mouths work fine. And yes, I agree with Engelhardt on the changing, though not as much one the colour suggestions. I can say more after it's been "touched up"

I recommend doing the scaled shoulderpad in another color as well. There is so much green on these guys that they end up looking a bit on the plain side. You could vary the scales for each guy (as part of becoming FireDrake is killing a drake) or even set them to a specific battles color scheme.

I did this for a Chaplain and a Squad leader who fought in the Badab War (yellow and black being the Sals colors during that particular incident):

http://www.duckblindminiatures.com/images/sals/salchap1-2.jpg

http://www.duckblindminiatures.com/images/sals/salat1-1.jpg

I really like the green you have for your sallies Psythu. My only problem is that I think that there is too much of it. To make the model more appealing I would reccoment painting the scaley bits either black, or black with some orange and red ones thrown in in a symetric way. I just think it would go a long way in breaking the model up a bit.

Cheers,

Girathon

Thanks a lot for the comments, they've been very helpful. I really liked the "red head" idea, it hasn't photographed all that great but it looks awesome in real life. I tried out the black scales too, but in the end I feld the green ones looked better. May change my mind once I've painted more of the squad though. Here's one finished at last; I did try the "visor" effect on the eyes but they're just too tiny! Marine eyes are far easier to paint :blink:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3600/squadmalleopipmontage2fcq0.jpg

They are coming along quite nicely, Psythu.

I would try to avoid using "natural" colors on the lizard heads so that they look more like helmets than mutants. How about metalic gold teeth or scales. The more natural you make them look, the less like helmets they appear.

Archived