The Mods Contest Blog

Work in progress shot...

gallery_26_548_179816.jpg

I've used the Space Marine veteran with the mace as the basis for the model.

I clipped the flanges of the mace away and drilled out the haft for the blade. I clipped the blade from one of the Khemri models, pinning it to the haft of the mace. I still have to green stuff where the mace flanges were.

The left arm is from the power arm bit out of the Space Marine Commander box, with the hand lopped off at the wrist and the entire length drilled out. The bolt pistol and hand came out of the Thousand Sons boxed set, with the nub cut off and filed down. The shoulder was drilled out and a single pin used for the entire length from the shoulder through the hand.

The left pauldron and backpack came out of the Chaos Space Marines boxed set. I had to file and cut the very bottom of the backpack a bit in order to get it to fit over the very end of the weapon handle.

I filed down the second stud on the helmet ridge, then drilled it out. The topknot was cut off one of the Chaos Space Marine heads out of that boxed set, then drilled out and pinned to the helmet.

The loincloth came out of the Thousand Sons boxed set and was simply glued beneath the belt.

I used a combination of file and Dremel to get a lot of the details off, including terminator honours (right pauldron, thigh plates, and on neck chain), skull on belt, and purity seals. The grenades were taken from the Tactical Squad boxed set and simply glued over the space where one of the purity seals was.

I'll be green-stuffing some details on and filling gaps. I also have to work on getting the base properly decorated.

I've embraced the concept of the new codex focusing on renegade Chapters turned to the service of the Dark Gods since the Horus Heresy, leaving much of the base mini intact. I considered adding some horns on after seeing Nephren-Ka's mini, but decided that was more along the path of Chaos than I wanted (and a lot more effort than I think I have time for, especially considering the Admin Challenge, see the link in my signature for that).

Game-wise, I'm setting him up to fit within the tabletop Arena of Death rules - meaning he has to fit in at 130 points. At this point, he could be an "unmarked" Chaos Lord with daemon weapon or a baseline Sorcerer.

I haven't settled on a color scheme yet, so that's the next administrative step in the process.

Nice work Tyler. looking forward to updates soon. (and good luck with the admin challenge)

I told Daeothar when I had found this again and it had inspired my entry I would post it once the cd it was on turned up again so here's the madness behind my entry. I know It was badly drawn but I was playing with atablet and it was maybe 20 minutes.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/kerberos_XII/fallenlion/fireyliontraitor.jpg

Neph; that's still an awesome piece; Former Sergeant Mossert to a fault! B)

Bro T; great work chaosifying one of my fave newer models! :P

As for my own progress, it's been slow but steady; I've done up the base and undercoated the mini, backpack and base.

Daeothar Post 4:

I've chosen the final position for the stuff on the base, added candles with running wax (hence it looks sort of messy right now) and some flames (source of the light I will be painting) and the flames even have little daemonic faces in them... :) Mwoohahahahaah...

Here are some pics of the base undercoated, local CSI even pulled a partial print off it... ;)

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ThousandSons/TS1BaseWIP1.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ThousandSons/TS1BaseWIP2.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ThousandSons/TS1BaseWIP3.jpg

No need to post pics of the mini itself though; I've done no painting other than undercoating it and it's not converted in any way after all...

So far:

Apostle of the Flesh

http://forum.emperorschildren.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_ApostleFlesh.jpg

http://forum.emperorschildren.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_ApostleFlesh2.jpg

The corrupter of the Imperial Creed

OK, so while I dither over what army I'm going to do for the Admin Challenge, or armies even, I've been trying to at least get closer to finishing my Call of Chaos entry.

The third lot of highlights are still wet in this photo so it looks a little odd (and darker than it'll be when it dries) but you can, hopefully, see where it's going...

med_gallery_385_727_53612.jpg

That's the last of the broad area highlights, from here I'll be hitting the high points with some lighter tones to get the traditional edged highlight look...

Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds Musical - The Spirit of Man

OMG Post #4

As of last night… the new Chaos army box is now in hand. ;)

On a side note, I was pleasantly to find the command vehicle(?) upgrade sprue included in the box. I guess that’s in lieu of a LE aspiring champ model (which I’m still disappointed didn’t make the set :( ).

I was also happy to see that there were multiple new CSM upgrade sprues. What’s not to like about that new Nurgle icon??? All the Nurgle upgrade bits are great.

But! If you were to fall on the battle fields of 40k would you accept the aid of a fallen, plaguemaine brother – even if he was an Apothecary in a former life? :)

WIP photos soon…

-OMG

A common problem I have with my miniatures is that the closer they get to completion the further they are from what they were in my imagination and the more discouraged I get, as no matter what tweaks and additions I make I just seem to get further from what I imagined the figure would be, not closer :D

Occasionally I get into a groove and I turn out a batch of minis I really like, the Brazen Claws are lucky enough to have had that happen twice so far and I think I may be about to hit it with one or even two of my Admin Challenge armies, but my contest entry is nowhere near it. I tried my hand at lightning bolts on my old test mini and they came out OK, tried 'em on the contest Raptor, same method, same brush, same everything and they came out awful. So bad that all but one ended up being painted over which meant I had to redo some broad area highlights again :) . No wonder I never get anything finished.

Anyway, after the lightning bolt fiasco (and no, you can't see the bolt left on him, it's on the side of his left leg and it'll probably get painted over anyway) I decided that I needed to hit the guy with some Dull Cote to give it some protection and to take the edge of the colour changes, so I fired up the spray can and zapped him:

gallery_385_727_14604.jpg

Not exactly Dull, is it? I went to touch it up tonight and couldn't see a thing it was reflecting so much light :wallbash: No idea what happened there, admittedly that can hasn't been touched in 12 months but why would it go shiny? Oh well, I've got some Humbrol matte spray I'll try tomorrow, hopefully that'll dull it enough I can see to paint it some more.

So how is everyone else doing? Mods & Frater alike, the deadline fast approaches, I hope you guys are making more statisfactory progress than I am...

OMG Post #5

Sorry for the double post but you can’t stand in the way of progress.

gallery_15218_910_143499.jpg

I do realize that he needs some GS work to fill in the gaps- rest assured that is on the to-do list.

Every since I did those loyal terminators with the craved out bases I’ve wanted to apply the same concept to other models in other context. In this case, I’m going to keep with my green slime bases but put more interesting stuff down in the muck while I’m at it. I may just try to keep the submerged objects visible through the muck.

Fluff & description for this guy also pending.

-OMG

Lord Ragnarok Post 4

Well, after 2 false starts I'm going with this final mini. This is Thraxis who is my Red Corsair Khorne marked Lord with wings. He is a former company champion of the Astral Claws.

Final positioning on the barrel will be different then what is shown, and the spike on the shoulder has been removed, and mold lines on the wings have been cleaned.

I've actually started painting the reds. Every step of this is new for me so it's like pulling teeth from a sperm whale.

He is holding two possessed chain weapons. Entities who were strong rivals before being entombed into the weapons by some unknown method.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/hansmannstein/Red%20Corsairs/ThraxisWIP.jpg

How are you doing the reds Rags?

I've started a Red Corsairs test model for the Admin Challenge and I found the red dead easy:

gallery_385_727_43146.jpg

That's Mechrite Red (from the Foundation line) and the highlights (only one layer in that pic and hard to spot) are Mechrite Red + Elf Flesh. Then I just washed it with a very thing Black Ink:Water mix (1:10 or so) to darken the colours and make it a little grittier. Looks pretty good for something so simple I think, might be worth a try...

And I've got lots of other red recipes I've used on my Brazen Claws too if you're after a deeper or darker red, just lemme know.

@Kurgan: that guy is almost as scary as you! I'd be tempted to remove the flat sections of the Omega to make it look more like the image in your blog if you weren't already planning that, even if he is a fallen Loyalist of some kind, the Omega always seems tied to the Ultras for me...

How are you doing the reds Rags?

That's Mechrite Red (from the Foundation line) and the highlights (only one layer in that pic and hard to spot) are Mechrite Red + Elf Flesh. Then I just washed it with a very thing Black Ink:Water mix (1:10 or so) to darken the colours and make it a little grittier. Looks pretty good for something so simple I think, might be worth a try...

Thanks SCC. I'm using mechrite red. I'm going to use the recipe in the recent US WD for Huron Blackheart (mech red, black ink wash, very thin blood red build up, blazing orange, working up with blazing orange+elf flesh mix). My problem is more inexperience with thinning paints and painting in general. This isn't a foundation paint statement but painting in general. Only practice will improve.

Daemonic Balance: (5 pts) Models with daemonic balance may position themselves precariously on battlefield obstacles, with eerie music sounding from nowhere as they manifest their Warp-born ability. Enemy models within 12" are so asmazed by these acrobatics that they must pass a Ld test or lose all shooting attacks and may not charge that turn, and attack in the assault phase at Ld 10.

Tyler's Note to Self (take 2): You'd better do an amazing paint job because your butt is whipped in the converting department.

OMG Post #7

Here’s my seventh post in this thread so it must be significant in some Nurgle kind of way. Actually getting some paint on the model should qualify.

gallery_15218_910_327148.jpg

Hummm… makes me wonder where the other mods are at with their respective projects. I know some are working on their entries w/o posting to this thread as of yet. Is this strategy on their part? Holding off before revealing their work last min?

Shall I continue to post progress or, with my WIP pics now submitted, not post again unit the model is complete? As tangled webs are the may layered schemes of Chaos.

-OMG

Now, im not a mad good modeller or a fantastic painter. I do believe in putting on a good show for mod solidarity and general board morale :down: :P - sooooo i'll be inflicting my very simple, not so special model with y'all.

WIP:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6813/pa00829lv2.jpg

Half painted:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6916/pa00826go3.jpg

ive removd the long spike on the chainfist and replaced it with a small skull.

If you havent guessed- he's a fallen BA - a rank and file trooper i assume.

i still have to defile the shoulder pad etc.

Archived