Chainsword Replica

I know a bit about this kind of thing, I have seen some one take a paintball gun and make it into a bolter, lol, large paint balls hurt more than small ones...

Lol, if you think that is stupid, you should hear my home made flamer... It was a blast to use on the old brush pile in the back yard... "say 'ello to my litul frend!!!" *comence brush pile incineration...*

pix/links of/to such things would be greatly appreciated.

I was playing around with the idea of making one a while ago. I designed all the pieces in maya, not sure if I ever got around to doing an image with measurements added. Below is a quick render of the model, which is done to scale though I can't for the life of me remember how long the finished thing was going to be. Plan was to do it in foamcard then plate with plasticard. Got to admit though, the idea of cutting all those teeth was daunting.

http://gtazz.com/kataan/images/stories/models/chainsword/chain_01.jpg

I think I got to this point then got distracted and ended up doing a little animation of the teeth going around, which was fun but not particularly helpful.

Only other one I've seen was one on ebay a while back, but it was rather pish to be fair, so I didn't bother saving an image.

Si

You could make the handle and interior support out of a length of PVC pipe. Add teeth and casing either cut from plastic or cardboard. Paint.

Just some rough ideas.

Hmmm... I used to do boffer fighting, and I know a lot of folks who do. Might be able to make one out of PVC, impact foam, and lots of tape!

OK folks, I'd sure appreciate if it we could leave the dissertations on building working chainswords, hand flamers and any other dangerous devices off the B&C. We don't really want to be known as the internet board that cause some poor kid to lose a finger or end up in the Burns Ward, do we?

To that end several posts in this thread have been deleted due to the inadvisability of anyone following the suggestions there-in. If you've got questions on whether or not your idea is appropriate for the board do me a favour and check with a PC&A Mod or an Admin before posting, OK?

Cheers folks, as ever, questions are more than welcome via PM/Email...

I have always thought about making a prop chainsword and bolt pistol, and making a short film acting as commisar. If I am correct thats what they op had in mind, if not commisar than something. Currently trying to figure out how to make a powerfist out of card board and plywood.

I have always thought about making a prop chainsword and bolt pistol, and making a short film acting as commisar. If I am correct thats what they op had in mind, if not commisar than something. Currently trying to figure out how to make a powerfist out of card board and plywood.

I'd think a hockey glove would work for a good basis of a power fist. I know not the overly huge design often shown in some art, which I think might require the use of a pulley system since it'd be too large for your fingers and such to fit down properly and you might like to be able to use the hand even just to move the fingers.

I'd think a hockey glove would work for a good basis of a power fist. I know not the overly huge design often shown in some art, which I think might require the use of a pulley system since it'd be too large for your fingers and such to fit down properly and you might like to be able to use the hand even just to move the fingers.

A hockey glove would actually work quite well; if you take a look at Guard powerfists, they actually have a wrist and are considerably less bulky than Space Marine ones. From the models and artwork I've seen they have a sort of flat, segmented, blunt look to them, so if you were to build up the fingers of the hockey glove with plywood and make them bigger and blockier, and also use plywood or PVC to extend the part of the glove that covers your wrist until it reaches your elbow, you'd have a pretty decent IG powerfist on your hands. Which seems like what the guy was going for considering he mentioned playing a commisar.

Here's a powerfist for you.

Click me to see me

All the fingers work via cable controls. I made that for a costume contest about seven years ago.

I won.

++EDIT++

Just changing the image to a link since it does contain some "interesting" subject matter. For those that wish to see it, feel free, but you have been warned (thus changing to the link as we are a family orientated board).

• 1 year later...

Here is a foam chainsword I made. It is made from 4 layers of 1/4" inch foam and a 1/2 fiberglass tube core. The middle two pieces of foam are the teath and then I just sandwiched it between two more pieces and the put a strip along the back and added details with more foam then coaated it in plasti-dip and painted with acrylic paint.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/not_sabbat/Boffer%20weapons/1122080922.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/not_sabbat/Boffer%20weapons/1122080921.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/not_sabbat/Boffer%20weapons/1122080923.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/not_sabbat/Boffer%20weapons/1122080923a.jpg

Something that I have found that works really well for making CONvention friendly props are the foam puzzle edged interlocking play / excersize mats. They are cheap and easy to work with and you can get some pretty good results from it. And the end results are pretty durable to boot and 'safe' to swing around. I have been wanting to do one for a while now, so if you would be interested in a tutorial...

my frends brother made a wooden chainsword a while ago, not shure if he still has it thow.

it was made from one peace of wood carved using verious blades and chisels i think.

i might be abble to get a pik but not promesing anything

Dave

Lot of work though, but possible nonetheless.

Though to be honest, I'd make one from multiple components - especially the hilt part.

Simply because its a lot easier to work with multiple smaller components than with one large component.

It also lowers the chance of ruining it.

Downside: you'll need some heavier equipment for it, or a lot of work. Especially when it comes to cutting and sanding the larger parts.

Fortunately for me: I currently have the heavier equipment available to me. ;)

Archived