Repainting the Fallen

Widowmaker

GAH!!!!!!!!

So.

No update photos today, which is more than a little annoying to me since i wanted to get a lot done last night.

Don't you want to know why? Well, I'm glad you ask.

I found out something very important last night. After shaving down the edges of my model to give it better lines, and after washing it in water to lose any oil I used in the GSing process, I thought, lets speed this drying process up.

Don't you want to know how? Well, I'm glad you ask.

Using the Tim Taylor Approved method, I placed my lovingly created model into my oven - set carefully at the lowest temp possible for a couple of minutes to try and improve the evaporation rates.

:pinch:

Turns out this is the latest in a long line of not so smart moves.

Don't you want to know why? Well, I'm glad you ask.

I used plastic rod, not brass rod, on the scythe. Turns out that the melting point (or at least bending point) of this particular plastic is much, much lower than the lowest temperature I can set my oven at. Which I found out when I turned to look at my model after 3 minutes and 45 seconds and found that the scythe had developed an interesting new shape, more akin to a flail than a scythe - the blade now lying in line with the foot of the staff.

:confused: :P

So after much cursing, kicking of cats and so on, I set about fixing this. Which led to more problems.

Don't you want to know how? Well, I'm glad you ask.

Turns out that in re-melting and rebending the staff BOTH ends snapped at the hand. So after drilling out the hand, shaving off green stuff and resetting the breaks, I'm now back at exactly the same point I was 2 nights ago, albeit with a scythe which is now about 1 cm shorter than before.

:cuss :cuss

So. more will follow.

By the way - since i was thinking I can't get a full chapter symbol on the model's left shoulder due to the skull, I was thinking about adding studs to it and turning it into a MK VI pad.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Widowmaker

This guide might prove useful to you. I saw you talking about bulletholes/pustules... but I actually think that the technique shown on this page for the tormented faces might prove to be incredibly useful for you - and very easy, considering your evident skill at GS. <_<

Thanks for the comments guys,

@Your account name here - Yeah, bit painful, but I guess it happens. Just glad I didn't burn myself at the same time :lol: Guess that it shows a good reason not to try and model after a night out on the town :tu: I thought about the salt dip - and I want to try it on some later models, but with this one, what I need to do is just replace the whole scythe with brass rather than plastic - I think I've denatured the plastic now and it is very very brittle. Oh well. Live and learn.

@Commissar Molotov - thanks for the links. They're pretty good and actually very close to what I tried to do here. Wish I'd seen them before I worked on the model gos I don't think I have the depth I need for the daemon faces. Next time :D Thanks for the compliment - I'm still learning the GS work. This is the first time I've ever sculpted past gap filling, so I'm pretty happy so far.

Ok. So I started painting last night. For some reason, I'm doing it in reverse from my normal - I guess i just have to get myself psyched for all that black highlighting. I got the bone started though. Have to decide whether to leave it there or add more highlights. Any suggestions?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010116.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010117.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010119.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010120.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010121.jpg

I have a question about the black though.

To differentiate between the robes and the armour, I am going to highlight the robes with grey, and the armour with blue (same idea as the original on page 1). I intend to use

Robes - 50% black: 50% codex grey; Codex grey; up to Fortress grey for fine highlights

Armour - 50% black: 50% Shadow grey; Shadow Grey; up to Space wolf grey for fine highlights

I'm concerned that the choice i made for the blue won't be crisp enough. Does anyone have a better recipe for highlighting black armour with blues? (I could use the grey recipe and ink it blue...)

Thanks for looking folks. I appreciate it.

As always, comments and criticism are welcome along with any suggestions folks have.

Cheers

Widowmaker

Hmmz, sucks when things like that happen, but in a few years time the mental scars will have healed and you'll be able to laugh about it. Or at least you've learned not to put plastic in the oven. :P

Ok. So I started painting last night. For some reason, I'm doing it in reverse from my normal - I guess i just have to get myself psyched for all that black highlighting. I got the bone started though. Have to decide whether to leave it there or add more highlights. Any suggestions?

Cool moody bone colour. I'd add some paler highlights around his eyes and mouth to accentuate his angry facial expression. Kind of like this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/squiggothnurgle/P1010121a.jpg

Don't go all the way up to pure white though, that's far too much contrast.

I'm concerned that the choice i made for the blue won't be crisp enough. Does anyone have a better recipe for highlighting black armour with blues? (I could use the grey recipe and ink it blue...)

Highglighting black parts with greyish blue to make them look different from "real" greyish black parts is always tricky. The choice of Shadow Grey is good though, I'd stay away from brighter blues (Regal Blue, Blue Ink and such) to preserve the moody theme you've got going now.

Alternatively, if you use Bleached Bone to highlight the cloak you'll get a very soft, velvet-like black which might be very fitting for angelic robes. Don't go all the way up to pure Bone, off course. :D

if you dont want the robes to be a stark diffrence you could do the highlights in a black green and make them subtle. it would give it a nice contrast to the blue black of the armor and bit make him a christmas marine with the white and red tones of the model if you proceed down that road.

so far your doing one hell of a nice job! cant wait to see him finished

Thanks guys, I appreciate the continued input - keeps me motivated to get this guy finished. Also gives me ideas I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

I will get more painting done tonight - actually, I'll probably finish it tonight - not cos I'd choose to, but cos i want to enter it into a comp over the weekend, and it has to be in by tomorrow evening. Normally I'd spend all day tomorrow doing it, but I have a full day of watching world cup rugby planned, so don't imagine i'll be terribly productive after I get done

:)

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Widowmaker

Greetings one and all.

Ok. It's not quite done yet, I still have to base it, and add lightning effect on the sword, but other than that.... I think I'm done. Anyone spot any deliberate mistakes?

;)

Sorry for the lousy photos - it's late, so the lighting is poor, but you get the idea.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010123.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010124.jpg

Shoulder pads...

I think this kinda works for a fallen pad - not exactly what I wanted, but close.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010125.jpg

I added the studs I mentioned

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/In%20Progress/P1010126.jpg

and some weapons detail...

Scythe and Sword (needs lightning)

Ok. Well, almost done. The original idea is still there, but this is a totally different model. Thanks to all who took the time to look - especially those who made comments. I'll have the first squad on the painting block pretty soon, and I have an idea for a termi squad in the works too.

Thanks again, and as always, comments, criticism and suggestions are always welcome.

Cheers

Widowmaker

:wub:

Good job, great end result and a very unique Prince. I love the 'Chaosified' Dark Angel logo on the right shoulderpad.

Anyone spot any deliberate mistakes?

The strappings on the scythe handle could do with a wash to define them better, they lack definition at the moment. The sword looks a bit light, I think it would look better if it was glossy black like the armour. Maybe even very dark green obsidian to link him to his former Dark Angel pals (don't the DA leaders all have obsidian weapons?).

Anyway, good luck with the painting contest! ;)

Thanks for the comments guys, he did ok in the comp - but the turn out was low (read 2 models) so, nothing to shout about. Still - netted me a nice blister and got my army started. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments. As soon as I get the scythe revamped with brass rod, I'll put him up in the hall of Honour.

Until then, I have my terminator squad. Led by Thanatos (who you'll see is also on his way to daemonhood) these guys are slowly becoming chaosified. The hints are small so far, but I may go crazy with bitz and GS later.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%20DeathWing/In%20Progress/P1010134.jpg

Thanatos

I'm not 100% sure I like the way this guy is going. He seems to be slightly long in the body just now. Anyone agree? Anyone think of a way for me to alter that?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%20DeathWing/In%20Progress/P1010135.jpg

I was going to give him a heavy flamer and have him as just a RAF model, but I was stuck on something cool to do as squad leader Thanatos if that was the case. Think I should keep him as Thanatos, or change him up a bit.

Squad

I liked the idea of Mortarion's body guard in one of the recent heresy books. These guys aren't quite as close combat orientated as those guys, but this is the result....

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%20DeathWing/In%20Progress/P1010136.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%20DeathWing/In%20Progress/P1010137.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%20DeathWing/In%20Progress/P1010138.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%20DeathWing/In%20Progress/P1010139.jpg

As you can see, keeping with the original theme, these are fallen, but they haven't fallen too far yet. I may change that up later - heck, I may need to since Thanatos is also daemonifying. We'll see.

Well. That's it for now. As always, comments, criticism and suggestions as to how to improve are always welcome. And yes, before you mention it, I've spotted the mold lines - I promise I will remove them

:)

Cheers

Widowmaker

Thanks for the comments guys, he did ok in the comp - but the turn out was low (read 2 models) so, nothing to shout about. Still - netted me a nice blister and got my army started.

Well, congratulations anyway. ;)

I'm not 100% sure I like the way this guy is going. He seems to be slightly long in the body just now. Anyone agree? Anyone think of a way for me to alter that?

Obviously, either use bigger legs or a smaller body. ;)

Keep in mind that Be'Lakor is about twice as tall as a man, whilst Terminator armour is designed to fit a (largish) human (and Termie leg armour is already rather weedy if you consider the fact that it has to protect a pair of very muscular legs inside). Sticking human-sized legs on a creature this big creates a sort of Orkish anatomy.

Obliterator legs would be better suited to go with a torso that big, if you want to keep him looking like a big, mutating Terminator. The torso would still look long though, simply because it isn't as heavily armoured as the legs.

Alternatively you could saw away a couple of milimetres from Be'Lakor's abdomen, so that the navel reaches the terminator's belt. That would make his body look more humanly proportioned, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Obviously, either use bigger legs or a smaller body. :P

Damn... Why didn't i think of that

:tu:

Obliterator legs would be better suited to go with a torso that big, if you want to keep him looking like a big, mutating Terminator. The torso would still look long though, simply because it isn't as heavily armoured as the legs.

Alternatively you could saw away a couple of milimetres from Be'Lakor's abdomen, so that the navel reaches the terminator's belt. That would make his body look more humanly proportioned, I guess.

Yeah... I reckon that's the way forward. Thanks Squiggoth. Hi-ho, hi-ho it of to GW we go....

The legs are in the mail, so to speak, so I needed a different project to keep me busy... Lets see what everyone thinks of a tactical squad.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%203rd%20Company/In%20Progress/P1010199.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%203rd%20Company/In%20Progress/P1010201.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%203rd%20Company/In%20Progress/P1010200.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%203rd%20Company/In%20Progress/P1010202.jpg

Ok. These are still very WIP. Almost no details added yet - those which are are from the previous paint job. (I didn't bother stripping them, so if the paint gets thick, that's why)

Some questions for all you folks...

1) Do you think the blue highlights on the armour are working? I usually use grey, so I'm not sure yet.

2) I think one more highlight is needed. This is an 80% regal blue:15% Shadow Grey:5% black combo - what do you think I need next?

3) Do you like the red shoulder pads? Or would white be better?

4) For the studs.... red (as illustrated by various GW sources) or metal?

Thanks for looking folks. As always, comments and criticism are welcome. I'm trying to get the painting level up so I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Cheers

Widowmaker

Thanks Neph...

Yeah, i thought about using green instead of blue, but I didn't want them to look like my regular DA's.... Might be that I come to regret that if they become confused with unfinished Crimson Fists, but whatcha gonna do?

:sick:

Appreciate the suggestion though.

Widowmaker

1) Do you think the blue highlights on the armour are working? I usually use grey, so I'm not sure yet.

Yeah, they work fine. They do blend in with the dark robes though, making the overall models look sort of undefined from a distance ... a sharper highlight on the robes' edges should fix that.

2) I think one more highlight is needed. This is an 80% regal blue:15% Shadow Grey:5% black combo - what do you think I need next?

More Shadow Grey!

3) Do you like the red shoulder pads? Or would white be better?

Red is cool, goes well with the black and the evil stereotype. Azrael's shoulder and chest are too white in my opinion, making him look like a normal Dark Angel.

4) For the studs.... red (as illustrated by various GW sources) or metal?

Real studs have red studs!

Not that Fallen Angels can be considered studs with all those dresses they wear. ;)

Oh, before I forget - if you're still tinkering with the colour scheme it might be wise to paint a single model first, before you paint the entire squad a certain way and decide that it really wasn't what you wanted.

I learned that after painting 30 Night Goblins with pink and yellow hoods. ;)

Thanks for the comments Squiggoth.

Hopefully I'll get some time to put some of your suggestions into practise tonight. We'll see.

It's a good point about doing a test figure. I normally do use them, but in this case, the test figure was done about 3 years ago, when my painting wasn't that great.

I guess the test figure for the new models was Azazel... problem I was concerned about was that while the scheme worked well on a figure his size, I thought it was getting lost on the smaller models. As you say though, more grey on the robes should help that.

As an aside - 30 yellow and pink hoods? Good lord man, what were you thinking? :)

What I might do tonight is to sit down and paint a few of these guys to completion using the various options I have and see what folks think of each one.

As always, I appreciate the comments.

Cheers

Widowmaker

I like the blue highlights, I think it gives them an old school Dark Angel look which is perfect for the fallen. Maybe go with more grey for the highlights on the robes to make them more distinct from the armour.

And yes definitely red studs, again it'll help give them an old school look. :wacko:

As an aside - 30 yellow and pink hoods? Good lord man, what were you thinking? :)

Well, for the yellow I was happily drybrushing pure white over fiery orange and toning the contrast down with undiluted yellow ink, and when I did the pink hoods I tried to make them look like dark purple velvet but I got a bit carried away with highlighting so my dark purple velvet-hooded Night Goblins ended up looking like a Genestealer cult.

In my defense, back when I started painting there was no internet so we had to figure out everything by ourselves. :P

Oh, and I still can't paint purple properly. I really hate that colour now. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...

progress lately has been a case of one step forward, two steps back....

:wallbash:

For your viewing pleaseure I have 3 photos to decide between

1) Old School DA (Red Symbol, Boltgun studs)

2) New School (White Symbol, Boltgun studs)

3) Hybrid (Red Symbol, Red studs)

Which do you think works best?

Oh and please pardon the lighting - I am on my way out the door and wanted to get some feedback on these. Also I screwed up the highlighting cos I gave the models a wash of black to try and blend the highlighting in - turns out it wasn't as bright as I thought it was.

Oh well. :unsure:

So here we go....

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%203rd%20Company/In%20Progress/P1010383.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%203rd%20Company/In%20Progress/P1010382.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Chaos/Marines/Fallen/Fallen%203rd%20Company/In%20Progress/P1010384.jpg

My personal leaning is toward the New School - white and silver. I know the consensus so far has been red and red, but I'm not sure. The white just looks cleaner. And perhaps more menacing. I did think I would give the chosen and terminators red and silver though.

OK. Enough from me. What does everyone thing (except that I need to go back and do the highlights again)

:lol:

Comments, criticism and suggestions as always are welcomed.

Cheers

Widowmaker

i agree with using white. it looks a lot crisper and makes the model look less bright and cheery and more grim darkness of the future..

plus my "pre heresy" dark angels use white for their symbol...

i would suggest lightening up the bolter a bit though either a really deep dark red colour or adeptus battle grey so that it doesnt merge into the armour as much.

My personal leaning is toward the New School - white and silver. I know the consensus so far has been red and red, but I'm not sure. The white just looks cleaner. And perhaps more menacing. I did think I would give the chosen and terminators red and silver though.

stick to the "old school DA". The very fact that "white just looks cleaner" cannot be good for a fallen :). Seriously. Black and white is boring to look at and boring to paint. Furthermore red and black looks far more menacing than black and white. It's about what you associate with the respective colours. White is more of a colour for purity and innocence, patience and wisdom, whereas bloodred screams extreme emotions and passions such as hatred and rage, bloodlust and frenzy.

Go for option 1, as it is not only the actual RT era colourscheme but also looks alot better than the "new school" look.

Archived