Tsuro's Truescale marines

Tsuro

Thx for the helping hand, Savage Mortician. :D

The chest looks fine to me. Any wider and the arms start to be too far apart.
You are right, but that was not what I was trying to say. I spoke only of the front part of the chest armour, where the Aquila usually is. You are right concerning the arms. ;)

Hey guys

I've been unusually busy this week so I've not made as much progress as I hoped I would. I have begun work on the rest of the squad, but it is a slow process and theres a lot of time spent waiting for glue to set so it'll be a little while before theres anything worth posting.

I did find the time to bulk out the front of the torso though. Please let me know what you think; When I get the distance right I can build it into the model from the ground up, rather than trying to fix it later (and since I'm trying to keep the front patterns on some of the torsos, I can't always rely on green stuff for this)

anyway, This is how the prototype currently looks.

gallery_28868_1452_144679.jpg

Tsuro

Thanks,

I haven't modeled the hips yet (or indeed any of the soft armour), partly because I haven't settled on a technique and partly because I keep removing the left leg for filing and green stuffing.

They are looking comically narrow at the moment though, so I'll probably take a stab at them sooner rather than later.

Tsuro

i think one thing is you may need to bring one of the sides of the thigh power armour up (so its semi parallel to the cod piece) before you sculpt ribbing. as of now they are too horizontal and if you just sculpted ribbing it would look like most of the hips are housed in soft vulnerable ribbing.

probably difficult to understand what im saying though :/

edit: hes looks just abit taller then my biggerized efforts (so thats a good sign for us both!)

I think it would help to see what his nakedness would be like underneath all that armor.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/berserkerp/Anatomie.jpg

What we're talking about is where the thighs meet the torso. See how awkwardly thin and detatched they would have to be?

• 2 weeks later...
I did find the time to bulk out the front of the torso though. Please let me know what you think;
I think it looks better now. Just ad the Aquila and it will look perfect :D

i think one thing is you may need to bring one of the sides of the thigh power armour up (so its semi parallel to the cod piece) before you sculpt ribbing. as of now they are too horizontal and if you just sculpted ribbing it would look like most of the hips are housed in soft vulnerable ribbing.
I second that.

Here are some maybe usefull examples:

Starcraft II Space Marine

Starcraft Space Marines

Btw, does someone know if it is possible to subscribe to a thread or a member? If you don't want to loose track, but also don't want to check everyday? Thx in advance... /edit: problem solved/

Sry for my bad english again.

Thanks for the images Brother Raphael.

I'm going to do some sculpting to raise the top of the thighs, but probably not as much as most people want. (unless I do) Although my marines will all be positioned in an erect walking pose, if I raise the thighs too high they wouldn't be able to adopt the 'trademark' marine squatting position, and I want it to still be recognisable that they're wearing astartes power armour.

I think I'm going to leave the aquila (as well as the rest of the details) off until the other marines are completed. I've used most of the techniques I'll be using before, so theres no need to practice and I like to adopt a 'conveyor' approach when working on multiple minis.

Sangarunya - My instinct is to agree with Zeller, because of GW's oversizing policy and my own views regarding the non-exclusivity of marine equipment.

Also its easier to do nothing. Still, at least one of the marines will be adopting a double handed pose so I'm leaving off making a final decision until I see how that works out.

current progress-

The prototype has not changed, everything I've yet to do has yet to be done.

I have begun work on the other five marines though, starting with the body and legs. Its little more than a load of bits at the moment but I'll get some pictures when they come more together.

My building process has changed since the prototype; now I know that I'm going to end up doing a tonne of green stuffing I'm being much less careful with the spacers, which may be something I have to rein in.

Tsuro

Looks awesome, but here's another way to get the proportions right and not have anyone complain.

Think about the freakish mutants that play in the NFL. Most of them are quite tall, over-muscled, and regularly wear armor. Rather than worry about "are the arms too long" or "are the hips too narrow", just use a NFL player as a model.

I did some google searching for some images and came up with a couple to show what I'm talking about.

http://www.gear2000.com/images/testrb2.gif

http://www.prodigy-sports.com/Qstore/Qstor...1B01136412306B1

Imagine that guy a bit more bulky and carrying a bolter rather than a football.

You could also use various statues and such of football players for inspiration. That, rather than cartoony marvel super heroes or sketchbooks of more "normal" people.

At least thats what I would do, if I was doing something like this. Which I can't and won't. Not just because I'm lazy, but you know, I don't have any talent.

Rugby players would be another option. Usually not as tall, but often more compact, muscular, and downright frightening.

Love the work, im studying art desighn and multimedia at the moment, (and have been doing so for quite some time :S )

i think apart from the very top of the leg armour (which doesnt and youve said isnt, done) it looks spot on...

good proportions, good pose, and damn it all i want one...

so i suppose ill have to fork out some money at GW

• 2 months later...

Hey all. So, its been a while since I updated this forum.

A large part of that is due to me doing nothing more on the project until the start of this year. The rest is that there wasn't really anything to show until now, and its taking me far longer than I'd like to get this far. I think I'll definitely have to look into casting once I finish the first squad, if only for the time it'll save on the basic bits.

prototype

I've been making small changes here and there as things occurred to me. Some of the things I've done are are:

raising the top on the thighs,

changing the neck mount,

widening the collar,

widening the lower torso,

widening and lowering the belt.

So now it looks like this:

med_gallery_28868_1452_78343.jpg

med_gallery_28868_1452_255241.jpg

I'm much happier with the way it looks now, but theres still a lot left to do (obviously).

As you can see I've finally started work on the soft armour. Only the bottom layer is on at the moment, however at least now you can see how the legs join the body.

The upper torso has been reshaped, but the front still needs some work and it has to be lenghtened closer to the belt.

squad

looks like this:

med_gallery_28868_1452_316672.jpg

I've made some changes to the proportions from the prototype (the legs are thinner for one) which I thought were necessary but now I'm not so sure. Now I've bulked up the prototype I Like how it looks, so I may end up re-working the rest of the squad in its' image. I'll have to see how they look when assembled into a pose.

You'll note that none of the squad have arms. I'm not entirely satisfied with how the arms look on the prototype so I'm working up a new test one. Hopefully it'll be more effective.

I think I'll also knock together a larger backpack and see how it looks. Any ideas on if it should be longer, wider or both?

future

My original intention was to produce marines that were about 6mm taller than the current models, and sufficiently broad so it looks like they're big guys wearing power armour. Unfortunately my models are around 11mm taller, so I'll want to look into where the additional creep is entering the process and what I should change.

Tsuro

My quick thoughts (may help with height creep too):

1- backpack is way too small now.

2- the belt needs to go UP, all the way back up to being flush with the bottom of the chest plate at the hip. The freed up space needs to go ALL into lower and upper legs, so that he's the same height, but with more legs.

3- feeds on #2, but the legs are way too short, and we're still seeing the problem with the narrow hips. they dont have to be baby bearing hips, but wider than that.

4- taking the size of his head (inside or outside his helmet) as a "thumb" we can see that his torso is FAR too long. Marines get more muscle, not more vertebrate.

5- there's something funny going on wiht the legs t here. I see one bent, one straight, and yet his hips are almost horizontal. This suggest to me that one leg is simply longer than the other, and that if he wishes to stand straight be must keep one leg constantly bent :)

It still looks AMAZING though. But your goal seems to be scale AND anatomical reality, and I think you're only hitting scale so far.

Cheers

thanks

2 - yeah, it wasn't my original intention to lower the belt at the front, it just sort of happened when I was putting it on and I thought I'd get opinions on it.

3- I have a problem with the hips because I don't know how thick the soft armour is. If its much thinner than the hard armour than the hips are fairly wide. Or not, my anatomical knowledge is embarrassingly shallow particularly regarding heavy musculature.

Would Thickening the belt (that is away from the body, as opposed to down it) help with this effect?

4- I think I'll lose more of the "additional" height from the body when I start on the next squad. I was trying to get them to look less spindly and more powerful, but I may have gone overboard and made them too squat. (I think it happened when I lengthened the lower torso).

5- The legs are odd. They're both bent, albeit his left only slightly. The right foot is also not flat on the floor, which made me think they'd make the hips about level. I can assure you that they are both the same length, which isn't a lot of good if they don't look as if they are.

If I'm being totally frank I tried to copy the "walking" terminator legs (the only ones I like) and I don't think I was particularly successful. For the rest I'm going to work out the poise myself. Hopefully lay my hands on a camera with a timer.

Tsuro

edit: removed quote. My post is directly underneath his and there really is no need to make the forum longer than it needs to be.

i love the bulkiness of the legs - one of the things that strikes me most about current amrine artwork is bow big the legs are compared to the rest of the model, as though the extra foot or so or their length mostly comes from the increase in size to their legs. personally, and this is purely a matter of taste, id prefer bigger legs and a smaller torso, but theres nothing technically wrong with it - i love the pose, and when it comes to truescaling marines, i realluy feel the most important thing is making them imposing. a marine without armour would scare a normal human. add the armour non top, and emperor-only know what will happen!

lovely stuff!

EDIT: and while a real male hyumans proportians do indicate he is roughly 8 heads tall, keep in mind that GW models are heroic scale! all it takes is to see a guardsman and well quickly realise hes barely 4 heads tall!

I'm still working on these, doing a little bit on them most days.

update -

The belt has been reworked and raised, and I've started to alter the knees.

med_gallery_28868_1452_402961.jpg

The main focus here is the power pack. This was my first thought for up-scaling it, so as to leave as much of the detail intact as possible. It looks a little thin right now- I'm hoping that adding another block either side beneath the vents should put paid to that.

thoughts?

I finished the new prototype for the arm. Its thinner and shorter than the old ones and tapers to the hand.

please let me know what you think.

med_gallery_28868_1452_38687.jpg

As compared to one of the older arms:

med_gallery_28868_1452_7113.jpg

I've also begun assembling the pieces of the other members of the squad. Heres the first:

med_gallery_28868_1452_489966.jpg

Its only blu-tacked together, so the pose isn't final and it doesn't stand straight, but the finalised pose will be somewhat similar (one leg straight, one leg bent). The legs are thinner than those on the prototype, as mentioned above.

how does it look?

This one is modeled more erect, and it shows how big they've become:

med_gallery_28868_1452_150279.jpg

I'm thinking about shortening the marine by removing a portion from the upper torso, so it'll look like this:

med_gallery_28868_1452_224852.jpg

Is this necessary, and is it a good or a bad idea? Does it screw up the proportions too much?

Tsuro

I'm normally the worlds biggest "anti truescale" shouter, but i'm seriously liking your work so far. It looks good, just take your time and aim for quality, not quantity, as you could have some special on your hands here if its done right =)

I've lurked around this thread with great interest and I think I finally have something to contribute.

First, the powerpack. Here's what I would suggest you do:

http://users.tkk.fi/jejernst/TsuroMarine2.jpg

Basically what you suggested yourself. Just a tad of lenght and a good deal of width.

As for the proportions, I wouldn't change a thing to alter what you've already laid out on the first marine. The second is too tall and breaks up th

e silhouette that we associate with a Space Marine. 

You are right when you suggest to cut some lenght off, but the right place isn't at the torso. All that is needed is you to lower the upper body a few millimeters. Like so:

http://users.tkk.fi/jejernst/TsuroMarine.jpg

This way the proportions are preserved and it really requires no modification to the model.

The original arm is also what I would retain. I really liked it the first time I saw it. This new one isn't really

the same caliber with the rest of the model's armour. I would suggest you just snip a bit off the upper arm

and bring the whole deal closer to the body, like so:

*edit* something mysterious has happened to this image; the one I loaded on my server and the original file as well. Unfortunately the

image is lost.*edit*

I'd say that would fix it.

That's my 3 cents. Hope it's worth the same amount to you. :)

P.S. I have no clue what's up with the sentences. Some glitch in the text editor I presume.

Archived