RC Land raider

Darathas

I'd sugest that you build most of i from scratch around a suitable R/C track unit and I'd go for a larger scale than 40K (around 1/70i belive) a good base would be an R/C WWI (British) tank.

NB. The British thing is because the French and German tanks would be unsuitable and because the tanks that would work were named with numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if you do not care about using the original tracks ir can be done relatively easy.

all you need to find is a fitting already existing rc-tank in 1:35.

but normaly ordinary thanks except e.g. the m113 are far to long and therefore the chassis needs to be shortened in most of the cases. a german marders width should suit pretty well as far as i remember it is almost the same.

but onf the original tracksize of the marders to small compared to the landraiders.

but hey.... the leopard2 tracks are just fine.

so why not using a 1:35 rc controlles leo2 to start from. but i think it is to broad. not much but a little. but maybe you'll find an easy way to make it thinner.

-

ok ... that would be the easy version.

some time ago i had the same project planned. i tried to find a good way to reproduce the original tracks in a usable way but didn't succeed. even with quite hard resin it didn't work. the only chance i saw was to do the tracks from rubebr or silicon but i found no good solution glue both sides of the track to close it and i also found no good way for the enginewheel to transport it.

=> i dissmissed this project, because i didn't want to create a rc-landraider that looks like a real one except the tracks.

• 1 month later...
My friend and i have thought of creating a remote controled land raider for laughs.

What you guys think?

I recall seeing one that simply had an RC car drive unit (with wheels) mounted in the middle of the tank. The Land Raider kept it's tracks, but the tracks didn't move. It also had working lights.

• 2 weeks later...
Just search for some electric motors and rc equipment on google or whatever. It's not hard to find a guide to hooking up things like that. As far as this talk of using articulated treads, it is pretty much unfeasable. But, you could get 2 rubber treads off of an RC vehicle, or just anywhere really. Edited by maniclurker

Articulated tracks arn't so much difficult as time consuming. you'd have to track down tracks and wheels in the right style then cut and drill the hull untill they fitted.

So, anyone else heard of searching for stuff?

I bought a landraider because of this. Not because I wanted to make a motorized one, but just because it makes them look awesomesauce.

A mate of mine did this about 7 or 8 years ago.

The LR tracks were NOT used (at all.)

R/C tank kit was modified (drive train, ervos and battery compartment) to fit within the LR, LR was shaved to make the tracks fit into the space available. Tracks fit into the spaces left in the kit and were able to freely move.

The tank would move forwards, backwards, turn left or right and even the heavy bolter "turret" would rotate left/right.

R/C tank kit was modified (drive train, ervos and battery compartment) to fit within the LR
Are there any pictures, or construction documentation? Do you know which tank kit was used and if it is still commercially available?

• 1 month later...

Saw a link on Turn Signals on a Land Raider couple days ago to a larger-scale Land Raider some guys had scratch-built, that they then added remote controls to. Not only does it move, it has headlights, muzzle-flashes, and yes, turn signals.

• 2 weeks later...
R/C tank kit was modified (drive train, ervos and battery compartment) to fit within the LR
Are there any pictures, or construction documentation? Do you know which tank kit was used and if it is still commercially available?

Don't know if he still has it (he stopped playing a few years back ), but it was painted up in CSM Black Legion colours. All I know is he used a commercially available Tamiya R/C kit (he used the tamiya rechargeable battery - I remember the logo) but I don't know which tank. I didn't see the construction of it, only the finished result (but I did get a pretty good look at it as he was my usual gaming opponent at the time.). I've since moved cities, too, but I do usually see him usually once a month.

I do remember that he wasn't very welcome at one GW store after his tank's treads chewed up the surface of their new foam table :) The battle-bunker out the back had regular wooden tables/boards, so it was ok there, though.

I'll check to see if he still has it, and whether I can get a pic of its insides.

• 4 years later...