The Scarus Crusade

chenley

In 980.M41, the Black Templars’ Scarus Crusade was formed to reinforce the area of space known as the Eye of Terror, specifically the Scarus Sector, under the command of Marshal Calis. The Scarus Crusade was on the South Eastern Fringe of Segmentum Ultima. The Crusade was tasked to assist in any distress call the fleet came across while heading to the Scarus Sector.

In 998.M41, the Crusade just having completed cleansing a planet on the edge of the Segmentums Solar and Obscurus. The Crusade fleet was preparing to head for the planet Tancred in the Scarus Sector, in order to reclaim the Templar chapter keep on the planet. A distress call was received by the Battle Barge ‘Sigmund’s Honour’ astropathic choir, which was claiming that the Orks had invaded the Armageddon Sector. Following the orders laid down buy the High Marshall the the Crusades founding, Calis orders ‘Sigmund’s Honour’ to change course and head for the Armageddon System.

While purging the Orks from the surface of the Armageddon Deadlands, the Marshal Calis’ Templars where joined by Space Wolves under the command of Wolf Guard Haakon Stormfang, of Lord Ragnar Blackmane’s Great Company. With the two companies fighting along side each other, Calis and Haakon formed a bond of sorts, mostly formed out of respect for each other’s combat strategies and techniques. They won many battles against the Orks together, and destroyed many Ork warbands, including Warlord Bogsnik’s Blitz Brigade.

Nearing a year and a half into of the Third War for Armageddon, High Marshal Helbrecht sent orders to Marshal Calis to have the Scarus Crusade withdraw and continue to the Scarus Sector. Upon receiving the orders, Calis petitioned to both the High Marshal and Wolf Lord Ragnar Blackmane to allow Wolf Guard Haakon and the any Wolves under his command to wishing to, to join him and his crusade to travel to the Scarus Sector. After consulting with the Rune Priest’s attached to his Great Company, Lord Blackmane decided to allow any willing Wolves under Haakon’s command to join Marshal Calis on his crusade.

999.M41

During the 13th Black Crusade, aid was requested from all branches of the Inquisition, including members from the Grey Knights, Deathwatch, and from the Adepta Sororitas of the Order of Our Martyred Lady. The Scarus Crusade has had some unexpected aid from various units of the Blood Angel, Dark Angel, Salamander and Ultramarine Chapters, when the crusade arrived to reinforced the Cadian 22nd Regiment in the defense of Elnaur Delta in the Thracian Primaris. It is here that the Scarus crusade first comes in to contact with Lord Balduran of the thrice damned Word Bearers Legion, and it isn’t the last. There where even reports of the 13th Company of Space Wolves have been reported to have been seen fighting along side the Black Templars and Space Wolves of the Scarus Crusade in various theaters of war, where Lord Balduran showed his blasphemous hide.

After successfully keeping Thracian Primaris System in Imperial control, the Scarus Crusade heads for the Quinx System. In route, fleet command receives a distress call from Medusa V, claiming that it is under attack from the Orks, and a massive warp storm is headed for the planet, known as Van Grothe's Rapidity.

Marshal Calis, immediately, orders the half of the fleet to make way for the Medusa Sub-Sector, and the other half to continue to the Quinx System, under the command of Castellan Dietrich. Along with Haakon Stormfang’s Space Wolves and the Cadian 22nd Regiment, the Crusade frees several Black Templar Chapter Keeps and backwater systems from the clutches of the Dark Powers, the Orks, the Necrons and other Xenos Species as they reach the Medusa Sub-Sector.

Although the Scarus Crusade did not purge many of the foul Xenos from Medusa V, they did manage to slay many Eldar, and allow scores of loyal Imperial Citizens to escape of world. Marshal Calis even managed to single handedly slay Lord Balduran of the Word Bearers Legion, and a good portion of his traitorous followers, while Wolf Guard Haakon was able to vent his anger on some of the Thousand Son traitor Legion. Unfortunately, the foul Chaos Gods showed their hand, and Marshal Calis was struck down from a fragment of a bolter round that shattered off a hull of a rhino transport and detonated against the left side of his head. Thankfully, the Crusades’ Apothecaries and Techmarines were able to graft a bionic skull to what remained to his. Marshal Calis was able to continue the purge of Medusa V, and was seen fighting beside Master of Sanctity Helstrom shortly after receiving the graft, and continued to lead the Scarus Crusade to victory.

Once back on his feet, Marshal Calis petitioned Haakon and his Space Wolves to hold the line while the Black Templars regrouped and organized. The Crusade just about succeeded in pushing the Thousand Sons and Word Bearers out of the region of Nazdreg’s Hulk, Marshal Calis was alerted by his Techmarines along with Wolf Guard Haakon Stormfang's Iron Priests that a Deathstrike Vortex Missile would strike within 10km of their position. Calis knowing first hand the damage a Deathstrike Missile can do ordered all marines under his command to fall back, to and to lure the remnants of Lord Balduran's Word Bearers and Thousand Sons traitor marines into the strike zone of the Deathstrike Missile.

Marshal Calis' plan succeeded so well that even the Eldar in the area were destroyed. But, the Crusade gave up too much ground, which they will now have to recapture. The Scarus Crusade will have to wait until the interference from the Vortex blast subsides until they can contact any nearby Imperial Forces.

Once the interference subsided, the Crusade received orders to evacuate as Van Grothe's Rapidity is within hours of striking Medusa V. At this time Marshal Calis learns that Captain Sicarus, of the Ultramarine’s Second Company, had awarded him honours for the numerous victories in the Tisiphone Battlezone on Medusa V. Sicarus even requested an audience with Calis as soon as he was able to do so, so he could meet the man who helped stall and defeat so many enemies of the Emperor.

The End of 999.M41

Currently, the majority of the Scarus Crusade is in the Angelus Sub-Sector of the Scarus Sector on Tancred, regaining their strength and helping to defend the Sector from the Ork invasions.

With the increase of Ork raids in the Scarus Sector and the neighbouring Calixis Sector, Marshal Calis has ordered Castellan Dietrich to strike out towards the Hazeroth Sub-Sector to reclaim the Templar's Bastion on Cloister to start recruiting and turn any worlds back to the Emperor's Light. The Crusade elements under Castellan Dietrich, where abushed by an Ork fleet above the world of Cloister, losing the Strike Cruiser Death's Honour and the Hunter Destroyer Duron's Vigilance. Dietrich could not let the Ork fleet escape the Emperor's judgement and took up pursuit, chasing the Orks to the Stygian System. The ork fleet was caught and destroyed above the Agri world of Stygian Prime, but not before the majority of the Orks made planetfall. Luckily for the Black Templars Stygian Prime was already under siege by the Orks and the Cadian 22nd Regiment, having been retasked by the Departmento Munitorum, where already planet side, along with the Cadian 423rd Armoured Regiment.

Man, my internet sucks today, had a nice long response typed out and now it's gone...

But in the end it says, not bad, just a few quick things. There's a few grammar and spelling mistakes, but what's really missing are paragraphs to make it easier to read.

You mention that Ragnar's entire great company joins the crusade but then only refer to them as Haakon's wolves later. Did you mean for the entire great company to join or only Haakon's squad/squads?

In the course of describing the one Crusade you have them take part in the 3rd war for Armageddon, the 13th Black Crusade and then on to Medusa V. You also mention other chapters that have helped, and the list reads just like the list of the first founding chapters. I think it's little unlikely that so many well named chapters helped out. I also think making a reference to the 13th Black Crusade is a little off because (if i remember correctly) it happened about 800 years earlier than the Battle for Armageddon.

It's like reading, my crusade is so great that we've fought in all the famous battles, and all the other famous Chapters have helped us out...

the 3rd war for armageddon was 998.m41 and 13th black crusade was 999.m41, too close together if anything, and medusa V was in the early part of M42. still should change it a bit though

Please indulge my thickheadedness. What sort of date range are we looking at here? I know it's in the recent past and possibly ongoing, but some dates would really help to cement this in the Timeline.

If I wanted to integrate this crusade into my paints, I would need at least a crusade badge to mark the initiate as a participant of this campaign. Do you have one?

Please indulge my thickheadedness. What sort of date range are we looking at here? I know it's in the recent past and possibly ongoing, but some dates would really help to cement this in the Timeline.

If I wanted to integrate this crusade into my paints, I would need at least a crusade badge to mark the initiate as a participant of this campaign. Do you have one?

Date range would probably be from about 980.m41 up to the end of the medusa V summer campaign so far

As for the crusade badge it is a courted shield with 4 colours, a red gore field in the lower left, a white field with a templar cross in the upper left, a Shadow Gray field in the upper right and another white field in the lower right.

I do any combat shields with the crusade badge, as can be seen on the company champion shield

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/chenley_photos/Black%20Templars/HQ/CommandSquad2.jpg

Added a little more today, but I don't knwo about the last part, it seems that it is missing something, but.. Je ne sais pas ce qu'est il ?

@flintlocklaser - I wanted some of my bt to stand out from the rest and the combat shields were the easiest thing to make it happen. I surprise no one else thought of it.

• 2 months later...

In light of the New Chaos Deamons Codex, and the map it includes of the 40k Universe and its warp storms, I am now going to have to change the background of my crusade a little. Appearently Van Groppe's Rapididy(Whatever the spelling is) is very close to the Ultramar system in the Ultima Segmentum. So, it is not likely my crusade would have made it to Medusa V in time, unless they were able to time travel, which is highly doubtful. I should be able to update it in a few days for those who are interested.

OR If anyone has any ideas on how I can include them being on Medusa V, but it will have to be a very good reason on how my templars can get across 3 Segmentums, from the Eye of Terror to the Ultramar System basically, in under a very short time frame. I believe it would be a matter of a couple of weeks to a months time.

• 2 years later...

And I thought that this was lost to the warp.

Just a small update: (added to first post)

"Currently, the majority of the Scarus Crusade is in the Angelus Sub-Sector of the Scarus Sector on Tancred, regaining their strength and helping to defend the Sector from the Ork invasions.

With the increase of Ork raids in the Scarus Sector and the neighbouring Calixis Sector, Marshal Calis has ordered Castellan Dietrich to strike out towards the Hazeroth Sub-Sector to reclaim the Templar's Bastion on Cloister to start recruiting and turn any worlds back to the Emperor's Light. The Crusade elements under Castellan Dietrich, where abushed by an Ork fleet above the world of Cloister, losing the Strike Cruiser Death's Honour and the Hunter Destroyer Duron's Vigilance. Dietrich could not let the Ork fleet escape the Emperor's judgement and took up pursuit, chasing the Orks to the Stygian System. The ork fleet was caught and destroyed above the Agri world of Stygian Prime, but not before the majority of the Orks made planetfall. Luckily for the Black Templars Stygian Prime was already under siege by the Orks and the Cadian 22nd Regiment, having been retasked by the Departmento Munitorum, where already planet side, along with the Cadian 423rd Armoured Regiment. "

C&C please. Anything that doesn't flow or make much sense or needs to be re-worded?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice fluff Chenley! And not bad models ^^ I enjoyed reading the fluff quite a bit! I've been trying to make some fluff of my own, but not much inspiration for mine. Lack of inspiration is like a Templar's chryptonite.

Yeah, I hear ya. It took me a long while to get this as far as it is, but it helps when GW has summer campaigns, and FFG fleshes out the sector that your crusade operates in with their rpgs.

Archived