A great revelation...

++Spoilers++

Alright boys and girls, with the release of the Horus Heresy series, we've gotten a great insight on the background of the Heresy and what drives the Legions and Chapters to this day. Simply put, we know everything about them...

Let's start with the biggest one- the Dark Angels:

In Legion the Cabal spoke of how they went to the Dark Angels Legion for their assistance and found them wanting, with factional ties within their Legion (could be referring to Terran/Caliban or Knightly Orders...). We saw this in DoA, where the Watchers in the Dark spoke with Sar Zahariel about their "secret cabal". I forget most of this part and don't have my book in front of me... so you'll have to take my word.

The Cabal knew that as long as the Lion was in charge, there'd be no negotiating. They got their chance when Sar Luther was sent back to Caliban. He was saddened and the news of a Great War would have gotten his attention. Much like the Alpha Legion, they wanted to help the Emperor... but something went wrong. The Cabal decided the Dark Angels were unfit for this task. However, having heard the news, they decided to do something about it. Enter Cypher and the Fallen. GW itself has stated that Cypher is not a Chaos marine, so maybe he succeeded where the Alpha Legion failed, he resisted Chaos.

After the Dark Angels tore themselves apart, the Watchers in the Dark (the Cabal) took control of the Lion until he was needed.

Next, the Alpha Legion:

They were sent undercover by the Cabal to aid Horus and sacrifice humanity to destroy Chaos. Unfortunately, like any good undercover agent, they became that which they intended to destroy... normally, they'd have been able to call it off, but due to the corrupting nature of Chaos, they became trapped behind a facade.

This means that this collection of races (whether or not the Old Ones are among them remains to be seen) effectively manipulated two entire Legions and stole power away from the Emperor. By doing this, they caused the Imperium to stagnate, making the traitor and loyal forces equal in strength and giving the loyalists targets (Cypher, Chaos cults...).

Another thing we learn is that humanity is the greatest weapon for or against Chaos. However, it is the eldar who must wield us, as they know how best to combat Chaos... they've got the Black Library and close ties with the Cabal, they're also all psykers.

Anyways, this is what I get out of all this... how about you?

There is another possibility. Given the fact that the cabal/old one/eldar realised that the vibrant race called humans was likely to be the one expanding and conquering the galaxy, they may have come up with a plan to split the legions and sabotage the great crusade before it achieved all of the emperor's designs.

The novel "Lords of the Night" describes very well, how a massive Night Lords fleet was poised to assault the eldar craft world Iyanden. What happens? A nightlord Talonmaster held in some form of warp stasis aboard his vessel for 10,000 years by the eldar, crash lands on a hive world and starts off a series of event orchestrated by the eldar which ultimately brings the fleet of Night Lords to assault the hive wolrd.

Another example of Eldar MAsetry of the future is how they, through targetted assassinations, ensured the Ghazhkull Thraka become the Ork Overlord, leading to the invasion of Armageddon. They killed off other warlords who would have led the ork hordes towards eldar territories.

Finally, the emperor's grand design, which was taking place under the Imperial palace was the creatio of an artificial web portal and web way leading in to the existing eldar webway. The emperor reasoned that if man could conquer the webway then he could avoid the use, and remove his dependance on the fickle tides of the imperium. If he had completed his project, with the immense numbers on the side of the impeirial warmachine, the eldar would very likely have lost control of the webway. Was the Horus heresy simply their selfish way of ensuring the survival and relevance of thir doomed race a little while longer?

Was it also not the eldar who tried to kill Angron when he was a baby in order to prevent the death he would bring? Angron killed human and eldar alike...

It was the eldar who tried to warn Fulgrim of the Heresy, only to find out of his possession. They then tried to destroy his taint to prevent it from infecting the other Legions. Had they succeeded, the Drop Site Massacre might have gone a little better for the Imperium.

I agree that the aliens are afraid of us, but I believe they are more afraid of Chaos and would seek to direct us to destroy it (along with ourselves) before they ever sought to make us join it. A Space Marine is a scary thing, but a Space Marine with daemonic allies is far scarier...

I think they were trying to help us, as much as they always were. They weren't using the webway, and if we took it over, the warp wouldn't have been able to infect many of the Legions.

The eldar and the Cabal had the same intentions, destroy Chaos. One wanted to prevent the Heresy; you say the other started it.

Things like the war for Armageddon were kicked off before the orks ever set their eyes upon them. It was Angron and his Legion that first attacked. The orks simply happened to find the planet years later...

And also worried about the fact that sooner or later the might of the Legions would fall on their heads,and that would mean the end of them for sure.So you have two major enemies,both stronger than you,but opposed to eatch other.What do you do?You make them fight each other and wipe themselves out.

Things like the war for Armageddon were kicked off before the orks ever set their eyes upon them. It was Angron and his Legion that first attacked. The orks simply happened to find the planet years later...

I was referring to the second and most importantly the third battle for Armaggeddon. Ther is a reference somewhere (may be codex armageddon or the WD writeups) of a dying eldar boasting to an imperial person (SM/Inq?IG - can't remember) that they had engineered Ghazhkull's rise by eliminating rivals so that he would invade Armaggeddon rather than his rivals who would have headed towards eldar worlds 9either craftworld or maiden worlds - again can't remember)

The eldar care not for the human race... they are simple and selfish beings concerned only with the survival of their own race. They would happily sacrifice a billion humans if only to save a single eldar life.... then again the imperium isn't all that different in the scale of sacrifices... :D

Hmmm... they seem to like to redirect stuff toward our worlds.

I think it'll be quite ironic when Ghazhkull lands on a Craftworld and destroys it. Even if he doesn't, he's got Yarrick and Helbrecht on his ass.

What they don't realize, is that by keeping us alive, they keep themselves alive. We like to fight, all they need to do is make sure there's enough of us to keep a fight going. Unfortunately for them, the Cabal sees a dire need to keep us around.

Does anyone else find it funny that they consider us knuckle draggers even though our master was the greatest psyker to ever live?

As an Eldar player I have to say something. At one point Horus reflects that if one race would be able to take out the imperium it would have been the Eldar. Granted they would all have to work together, but the Eldar aren't weak by any means, they would just rather hae others fight their battles, instead of them. And as far as considering mankind as knuckle draggers Eldar think everyone is compared to them. Eldrad thought the Emperor was weak (But Eldar are full of themselves like that.)

-V

I am honestly not sure whether the Fallen are really on a mission to destroy chaos from within a la the original mission of the Alpha Legion or if perhaps they were the only members of the legion who were always truly faithful to the Emperor and are therefore purged by their would be traitor brethren.

Maybe this is just the musings of a cynical heretic, but it really seems to me like the Fallen are the victims of supposed loyalist DA duplicity and therefore the DA are unforgiven not because they suffered a schism per se, but because the currently loyal chapters were the chaos side of that schism. That being said, I am pretty sure that Cypher has helped the Night Lords find some artifact on behalf of Abaddon which is of course a rather traitorous act unless he has now subscribed to the AL idea of letting Chaos burn itself out, or is even just jaded and tired of Imperial treachery and wants revenge.

It's all pretty interesting and is without a doubt one of the most intriguing questions of 40k fluff, much more so than all of that Void Dragon/machine god and "The Outsider" tripe that got made up to legitimize the Necrons.

• 1 year later...
This I my first post hear and while this is an old thread there are some things I'd like to add. First off I play Dark Angels now but my very first army was Necrons so I know a good bit of Eldar history and about the Old Ones. The Eldar and and the orks and Humanity for that mater were created by the old ones to fight the Necrons. There War was a thing very much about out lasting each other. The Necrons even today have no FTL system and their ships just move through space at sublight. The Eldar where created as or foreged into a weapon by the old ones some point after the Necrons discovered the Catan and gave them humaniod form. The Eldar were psykers all and suppose too be more efficent at using the warp spawned powers of the Old Ones. As a back up they made the Orks, a specise that is only happy at war and mutiplies like locusts. They also started someing long team on Terra. About 65 million years ago give or take 40K somthing went terrible wrong with the oldones plans. They were destroyed and Chaos came into being and broke free into this realm. The Eldar meathods of using the warp energy had changed the creatures there from harmless to deadly and had given them a tasty for souls and lifeforce like the Catan. How they where deafeted and driven back into the warp is not known but it was chaos that drove the Necrons too there tombs to sleep; not the Eldar. While the Gods of Chaos came later the fact that they could rise at all is the fault of the Eldar and they know it so they will fight Chaos in all its forms no matter where it rears its corrupted head. Their oppinon of us very's from craft world too craft world. All of them look down on humanity mainly because they see us as a lab experiment left unatended that eventually got lose from the petree dish and the resent our apparint vitality enven in the face of total destruction. The Craft World Eldar like to think of themselves as the inharitors of the mision of the Old Ones. Even if they can't quite remember what exactly it was. In the end humanity is nothing but chess pecies to be moved to the Eldar.

This is a good theory and looks very good. Indeed the Aliens hate mankind but indeed they hate Chaos more for their point of view chaos is the greatest threat the Galaxy faces (Until the awakening of the Necrons & the arrival of the Tyranids). That all said chaos is a very powerful force within the warp and they seem to be able to manipulate the warp better then anything. As a result the Cabal cannot trully trust the visions they have been receiving.

My theory has been that after the war in heaven when chaos first came about and were desperate to destroy all, that the 3 chaos gods hatched a plan to see their victory. This plan ensured the fall of the Eldar, the birth of an old religeon on Colchis, the mis interpretations of the cabal and the Emperor being put onto the Golden Throne (and not dying). For no matter what the actions of the Cabal has very well helped Chaos with their plans and has seen the galaxy slowly ripping itself apart and thus bringing more power to the chaos gods.

Ther is a reference somewhere (may be codex armageddon or the WD writeups) of a dying eldar boasting to an imperial person (SM/Inq?IG - can't remember) that they had engineered Ghazhkull's rise by eliminating rivals so that he would invade Armaggeddon rather than his rivals who would have headed towards eldar worlds 9either craftworld or maiden worlds - again can't remember)

The eldar care not for the human race... they are simple and selfish beings concerned only with the survival of their own race.

It's in the Eldar Codex, Eldrad Ulthran engineered Ghazghull's rise to avoid the danger to the Eldar.

look at it this way - overall if some other species was trying to desstory your's you would pull out all the stops in order to bring this terror to an end - by manipulating other races to do their bidding they are still just defending themselfs - in order to totally destroy chaos they may have to illude them act as if they are being beaten -

in other words they know the imperium arent yet strong enough to destory the influences of chaos and may be working us towards destroying ourselfs to beat the runious powers of chaos- then here we go yo the whole yingar theory where the total destruction of the eldar will create an eldar super god that will destory slaneesh -

what's not to say if the imperium was destroyed we would not all be recreated as a god through the emperor - and lead our influence onto other speices such as the Tau

And then theres the fact that at least 5 primarchs are still alive or are in some kind of warp or stasis - &Lets not forget that Fulgrim is not totally lost and that he is simply heavilly possessed -

And then theres tzeentch - the puppet master who is meant to be the driving force beind Cypher and all underhanded events - honestly there are to many theories to contemplate. . . . . . . ( need an asprin) - but i think all the sentient races will put their differences aside and go to war with the force of chaos - and we will all eventually be united (despite our religious and genetic differences)

You cannot truly defeat Chaos. For Chaos to die, almost every sentient race in the universe would have to be wiped out. Humans aren't the only ones who fall to the lure of the Ruinous Powers. Eldar willingly have, Orks have, and I'm sure that Chaos will soon find a way to draw in Tau (if Tzeentch hasn't already!). And truthfully, the Gods KNOW they cannot live without these species... I think if it came down to it and the Tyranid or Necron were at the point where they COULD wipe out every living being in our universe, Chaos would step in somehow. We all know both races are deathly afraid of the Warp and its powers.

I'm sure that Chaos will soon find a way to draw in Tau (if Tzeentch hasn't already!).

Tau barely register in the Warp, it's not that they're magically resistant to Chaos (although given their plot armour, it wouldn't surprise me). Manipulate them all you want (or a Hive Fleet into them), but they're pretty worthless as far as corruption goes.

We all know both races are deathly afraid of the Warp and its powers.

I don't know about afraid, but only the Necrons find the Warp anathmae to them. Tyranids have a warp presence (the Shadow in the Warp), and use warp powers themselves (Zoanthropes, Malanthropes). Then again, I suppose that makes them corruptible . . .

Lets not forget that Fulgrim is not totally lost and that he is simply heavilly possessed -

Fulgrim's possessing daemon has spent so much time in the deep Eye that I would be surprised if Fulgrim hasn't been destroyed by exposure to the Warp, let alone retained his sanity in the face of 10,000 years of extreme horror. Don't forget that spiritual torture was the point of the exercise. There is also the matter that the daemon has reshaped his body into a pleasing (to it) daemonic form, which I don't believe would change even if you possessed an exorcism ritual that would work on a daemon that powerful. The Imperium shoots six-armed entities with snake bodies on sight, so even if somehow a sane, untainted Fulgrim were to emerge from the Eye he could not go back home. Body aside, they'd try to kill him as soon as he spoke his name. It's not every day a mythological being from Hell (as I'm sure whatever the Imperium uses for a Bible portrays him) shows up on your doorstep.

All true None of the fallen can ever return home in the eyes of the Imperium. For them there is only War or death or victory. Both the nid and the Necrons coould destroy Chaos. The nids won't leave anything for Chaos to feed on and the Necrons want to seel this dimention off from the warp.

This I my first post hear and while this is an old thread there are some things I'd like to add. First off I play Dark Angels now but my very first army was Necrons so I know a good bit of Eldar history and about the Old Ones...<SNIPPED OUT A BUNCH OF STUFF>...d humanity is nothing but chess pecies to be moved to the Eldar.

You are so close, and yet so off in so many different areas. I've been playing this game since the heady days of Rogue Trader, and there are several significant gaps in your narrative that you may not know.

First, the Old Ones and the Eldar were contemporaries, and the Eldar were not created by the Old Ones. The Old Ones were responsible for the Slaan and the Krork (as the Orks were called when they were made), and perhaps a few other old races now long dead. The ties of the Old Ones to Earth are a bit tenuous, but intriguing. The OOs went around reshaping worlds to suit their servants, the slaan. This was one of those connections between 40k and WHFB from the early days, and GW has tried mightily to sever. These worlds were reshaped to look like the Old Ones' homeworld, and this is why the Warhammer world looks an awful lot like Earth. But let me not digress too far from topic....

So the reason for the creation of the Krork and a few other races was the need to bolster their forces against the might of the Necrontyr hordes and their C'tan masters. The Ruinous Powers were not even ripples in the warp at this time, although the Eldar gods were living happy, merry lives in the warp and had been for quite some time. So the chaos gods had nothing at all to do with the war against the necrons. The OO and thier allies were starting to win, the eldar built the Talismans of Vaul (known today as the Blackstone Fortresses from the Gothic War) to help destroy them and so the Necrontyr unleashed a virus into the universe that began killing every lifeform it encountered. The OO were wiped out, but several of their creations survived, most notably the Krork. The rest of the races fared litle better, with wholesale genocide. Even the Eldar were hard hit.

With the larder being emptied at an unhealthy rate, the remaining C'tan chose to go into hibernation along with their metal tinker-toys. When you are effectively immortal you have time to wait, and that's what the C'tan did. They thought that the galaxy would be wiped clean and by going into hibernation they could await a new cycle of evolution to create a brand new smorgasboard some time down the road.

Now all of this happened 65 million years ago, about the same time of the last great extinction on Earth, the one that wiped out the dinosaurs (which sort of look like slaan beasts of burden, don't ya think....but again I digress. The Old Ones had no direct link to the creation of humans...we just sort of stepped in when their own pet species bit the proverbial big one. And still, the Chaos Gods were nothing... not even a little blip in the empyrean. Over time the gods of the Orks began to coalesce, and the Eldar gods got a bit stronger. and that was about it.

And so thing went as they would: other races rose and fell, the eldar spread out through the galaxy, remaking worlds in their own image where there existed none that suited them; the orks went about beating themselves and others about the heads the shoulders with the heads and the shoulders of the fallen, and over time furry little creatures on Earth turned into monkeys and then proto-humans and then into humans. A little over ten thousand years ago (from now), there were many civilized tribes of humans on Earth. Each was led by a powerfully psychic shaman whose soul would travel into the warp at death only to reborn into the tribe so that he or she could continue leading the tribe. Since the warp was still relatively unsullied by what were to become the Powers of the warp, and the shamans wielded great power.

But as time went on, the Powers began to grow in strength. Humans were obviously not the only source of power for the Chaos gods, but they certainly contributed. The shamans began to find it more and more difficult to reincarnate, and many of their souls were lost. In a desperate bid to stave off their extinction, they all decided (since they were in nearly constant psychic communication) to kill themselves and combine their strength into a single individual.

Thus the the man who would be called the Emperor of Mankind was born. It was 8,000 BC in Anatolia, Turkey.

He's been in the background of things ever since, masking his abilities and his face (if not his very presence), and trying to guide mankind towards some goal of his own. The original fluff had him working to keep the human race from extinguishing itself, but the Horus Heresy novels have cast a shadow over that theory, and we might not know exactly what his goal is until the series is finished...and maybe not even then. He has been enthroned, been the power behind the thrones, been the adviser, the scientist, the savior, the redeemer, the fallen prophet, the scoundrel, and more masks than anyone can know.

One of his talents is prophecy or prescience, and everything he has ever done has been leading up to his grand scheme, his goal for mankind and the rest of the galaxy. The HH books have presented us with the idea that it is his ambition to attain godhood at the expense of the human race. There may be something to that. While the chaos powers were able to turn Horus with this story it seems to me to have a kernal of truth to it. If the Emperor foresaw Horus' heresy, than he would also know that by letting the heresy run its course and letting himself be ensconced in the Golden throne he could ensure that many things would come to pass. The Emperor deals with long term goals for his species, not caring a tinker's cuss for the individual man. So, there would need to be the Astronomicon to guide the navigators through the galaxy in relative safety. For that he needs a choir of astropaths, and to get them he needs the Black Ships to scour the Imperium to find psykers and bring them to Terra. These psykers are the prelude to the human race becoming a truly psychic species, but they are dangerous now during the infancy of the change. The psykers brought to Terra are either deemed useful and given jobs, or they are fed to the Emperor's Golden Throne to sustain his shriveled body. This keeps the number of dangerous psykers to a more manageable level than would otherwise be achieved if left unchecked.*

In the old fluff from way long ago, it was reveled that the Emperor had children...lots of them. These are called the Sensei** and while not as powerful as he, they are just as immortal. They also can access the untainted warp to wield powerful psychic abilities. There is a sect within the Inquisition that knows of the Sensei and believes that if they are all gathered up and fed to the Golden Throne the Emperor will again rise up. Combined with all the current talk about the End of Times, the possible return of the lost Primarchs, and the general doom and gloom settling over the galaxy, this might not be such a bad thing, but it is something that might happen in some never to be achieved future, since we can't seem to get out of the 41st millennium any time soon.***

Now the Chaos Gods don't want souls... they know that they are mere mockeries of life, pale reflections of the living beings that forged them. They don't want to claim the souls of living things, they want to destroy them all...well, Slannesh likes to eat the souls of Eldar, but then they were his/her sole creators and so you can't really blame him/her for that. Destruction is their goal. Total and final.

During the Heresy there was the Cabal (as mentioned in Legion), and these guys wanted the heresy to happen so that the grip chaos had on the galaxy would burn itself out. I'm still not sure if the Cabal had it right or not. All of them were seers of some sort, and they saw the end of all life in the galaxy when Chaos becomes ascendant after nearly 10,000 years of pain and suffering. But one thing about being prescient is that you can't really see the actions of other prescient beings****. I don't think that the Cabal can have taken into account the Emperor and his potential, even after his incarceration in the Golden Throne. I also question their motives...it may be that they have manipulated Alpharius/Omegon into joining the heresy to help tip the scales and curtail the Emperor's plans of galactic conquest... which, of course, includes the elimination of the various races that constitute the Cabal.*****

Until the whole of the Heresy is chronicled, I don't think that we can do more than speculate on more than a few things. I think that Alpharius/Omegon joined the heresy to save the galaxy from what they perceived as a dire threat. I played Chaos for many years, though I never used the Alpha Legion. They are not dedicated to any of the Chaos gods, they don't have mutants, daemons, and sorcerers running about within their ranks, and they don't engage in warfare on a wide scale (just as they did before the heresy). They manipulate and push others into conflict and trap, confuse, and confound their enemies on the battle field. They haven't changed, and so I think that now they are merely trying to survive in a galaxy that has proven inimical to them... the Imperium wants them dead, and I'm pretty sure that the rest of the traitor legions don't care too much for them either.

I think that everything that has happened in the 40k universe has been foreseen by the Emperor. I think that, even with the problems his Golden Throne is facing, and the invasion of the Tyrannids, the rise of the Necrons, and the beginning of the Tau, he's going to hang on long enough for the human race to become a race of powerful psykers. Psykers with the power to resist the Chaos Gods, to cull their representatives, banish their daemons, and seal the Eye of Terror and other warp/reality interfaces with equal ease. Humanity is Chaos' greatest tool, but it has the potential to become it's doom within the physical realm. But then, that's only my opinion, an the writers over at GW will continue to forge ahead with their own visions.

And now I think I'm done... :P

* - All of this is true for the universe of 40k, but I don't think anyone has explored it in this manner. I'm just tying it all up.

**- There is no current fluff that discusses the Sensei. The information comes from the 1st ed Books of Chaos. The Emperor himself was discussed as a new warp power (The Star Child), but in one of the 3rd ed books an Inquisitorial report was put into one of the many sidebars talking about how a dangerous cult that worshiped a being called the Star Child was rooted out and destroyed....but then again this could just be an Inquisitorial smoke screen and disinformation :) .)

***- It is my opinion that the Golden Throne serves as psychic Tupperware to maintain the Emperor's connection to the material universe so that his goals can be completed. With out the throne, his spirit would lose all attachment to the universe and would be cast adrift in the Immaterium. Nothing there could touch him, but he would no longer be concerned with humankind.

****- Granted, I'm yanking that bit from the Dune books rather than any kind of 40k canon, but it makes sense never the less.

*****- This makes sense on so many levels it's not even funny, and I didn't think of it until writing this post....wierd, huh?

Thanks for the info. The RT books are about the only thing I have not read. To note thooe the latest Necron codex does put the Eldar into the OO's creations and hlods the Eldar and the war responsible for the creation of hostile warp enties that eventually grew into the Chaos gods. It also states that the warp breached into the real world and these creatures began destoring worlds wholsail. I guess they retconed somethings.

he's going to hang on long enough for the human race to become a race of powerful psykers.

How, pray tell, is that going to happen when the Imperium kills nearly every psyker it finds? You can't become a race of powerful psykers without the psykers having a birth rate that's higher than the non-psykers.

Dunno if this was posted before ..

wouldnt the Fallen fall into 2 catagories. The loyalist Fallen that followed Luther and were swallowed in the Warp .

and the Fallen that did actually rebel from the DAs in the following millenium since the heresy.

Astelan talked about it in that dark angels book. i forget the name of it. ( not the heresy novel)

he's going to hang on long enough for the human race to become a race of powerful psykers.

How, pray tell, is that going to happen when the Imperium kills nearly every psyker it finds? You can't become a race of powerful psykers without the psykers having a birth rate that's higher than the non-psykers.

The Imperium kills those psykers without the wherewithal to withstand the corrupting influence of the chaos powers or some of the other entities that dwell within the warp (such as enslavers). A thousand psykers a day are fed into the Golden Throne, and yet there are still billions of psykers of various power level throughout the galaxy. Those found with sufficient power are used by the imperium; astropaths, the choir of the astronomican, primaris psykers, Inquisitors, Astartes Librarians, the various pet psykers of Imperial nobles as well as Inquisitorial henchmen.

The reason that the Emperor established the Black Ships was to gather up psykers so that estimations could be made as to their strength and they could be used properly. It's still brutal, but it is necessary for the survival of humanity. As human psykers begin to show more and more strength and the psyker gene becomes more pronounced and widespread, it will become impossible to corral them all, and eventually they will become the majority. Chaos will loose more and more potential recruits as humans become more immune to its influence.

I just thought of this as well. Perhaps humanity is moving along two different paths; the Psyker and the Null.

Culexis assassins are all nulls, psychic blanks with no reflection in the warp. The necrons use captured human nulls to create their Pariahs. Both psykers and nulls are increasing in numbers. If I recall correctly, the C'tan (specifically the Deceiver) have had something to do with the advent of the nulls within the human genome. Hmmmm.....

It is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain a coherent version of the 40k future-history....I mean, come on, it goes back 64 million years and ahead 38,000 more! As more gets written and more gets revised (or revealed depending on your view point) I'm starting to loose track of it all......... :blink:

Ther is a reference somewhere (may be codex armageddon or the WD writeups) of a dying eldar boasting to an imperial person (SM/Inq?IG - can't remember) that they had engineered Ghazhkull's rise by eliminating rivals so that he would invade Armaggeddon rather than his rivals who would have headed towards eldar worlds 9either craftworld or maiden worlds - again can't remember)

The eldar care not for the human race... they are simple and selfish beings concerned only with the survival of their own race.

It's in the Eldar Codex, Eldrad Ulthran engineered Ghazghull's rise to avoid the danger to the Eldar.

Oi, and humans are very noble and unselfish... and are really trying to make sure the Tau, Eldar, and Tyranids continue to live in peace and serenity :).

Its the Grim Darkness of the Future- every race is lookin out for itself, and some of them arent even looking that far.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have one note to add to what has been said. At least according to the Necron codex the Chaos gods were created during the war between the C'tan and Old Ones. The old ones created warp gates I'm assuming for travel, and they created some younger races to fight their war. These younger races' emotions were mirrored in the warp. When all was good, the warp was calm. But the war with the necrons created constant negative emotions, fear, death, war, etc. These emotions were mirrored in the warp and spawned extremely powerful beings.

It really wouldn't surprise me though if the Eldar helped make sure the HH was even worse for mankind. I was thinking that s I read legion. They wiped out their greatest threat, both to themselves, and the webway. I always thought it strange that the Primarch best at deceiving went along with a plan so easily that could clearly have been an attempt by aliens to deceive him. If they could really see into the future and know what was happening.... why not just off Horus early on? He didn't alwas have a legion to protect him. Or just off Lorgar, or Erebus, or the Istvan warrior lodges?

Lets face it, they are a lot better off now than they would have been if the Crusade continued.

Archived