Modelling: Swappable Predator Turret

This is a quick tutorial showing how to make your predator turret gun swappable. I've used magnets before, but I think I prefer this method which utilizes a motherboard standoff and screw you'd use in a computer.

gallery_31507_2059_13325.jpggallery_31507_2059_2142.jpg

For materials you'll need a drill/dremel bit. I used an 1/8th" engraving bit that is good for grinding. You'll also need a motherboard standoff and corresponding screw.

gallery_31507_2059_110.jpg

1. Drill a hole in the upper part of the turret assembly.

gallery_31507_2059_19980.jpg

2. Be sure to leave enough room for the standoff to fit flush against the back wall inside the turret. Screw in the standoff, you can glue it as well for extra hold.

gallery_31507_2059_31024.jpggallery_31507_2059_6001.jpg

3. Drill a corresponding hole in the bottom of the assembly. You will then need to grind/remove a chunk of the turret to make room for the head of the screw. Again, make doubly sure the holes line up properly.

gallery_31507_2059_17431.jpg

4. All that's left now is to insert the gun and screw the two halves together.

gallery_31507_2059_32913.jpggallery_31507_2059_1568.jpggallery_31507_2059_23134.jpg

With a little paint the alteration is pretty much invisible.

I'm still working on a similar method for mounting the side sposons. Feed back is appreciated.

Not bad, but not everyone would have these parts laying around (but I know I do). Also, if you overtighten the screw, will it warp and bend the turret and the front edges flair apart?

Sweet! Nice tutorial. :cry: Although I don't swap my Predator bits around (I only have Baals) if I ever do get some regular predators I really like this conversion method. I do have two questions, though:

1) How much sanding/drilling does it take make the screw head flush with the side of turret base? (I'm referring to the half-circle cut-out).

2) Are the motherboard standoff and screw "standard", or should I know what size to get?

Sweet! Nice tutorial. :ph34r: Although I don't swap my Predator bits around (I only have Baals) if I ever do get some regular predators I really like this conversion method. I do have two questions, though:

1) How much sanding/drilling does it take make the screw head flush with the side of turret base? (I'm referring to the half-circle cut-out).

2) Are the motherboard standoff and screw "standard", or should I know what size to get?

With the engraving/grinding bit it takes less than a minute to carve out the space for the screw head.

The standoffs typically have the same size head ( 1/4" ), what might vary is the length of the screw-threaded part of it, which you could cut down if needed.

I just used rare earth magnets, drilled out the pivots and glued them in...viola! I also magnetized the ammo-box/battery-pack so I can swap it, so much easier.

Archived