Black Templar army in the works

Till

So are the Black Knights counts as "Grey Knights" but really in your army they are Templars?

No, they're more of grey knights who are perma attached to the BTs, much like the sisters I painted up. The idea in fluff for my army is its not so much a BT army, but an army controlled by a high inquisitor. There is mainly BT, with elements of sisters, greyknights, and IG. I'm really wanting to grab a death korps of krieg stormblade, but I have enough on my plate at the moment.

whats your recipe for that fine gold?

Black primer, tin bitz, brazen brass, dwarf bronze, shining gold, 1:4 shining mithril, 1:2 shining mithril. Check the link in the post for a total listing of the colors with about 50 progress pics.

No, they're more of grey knights who are perma attached to the BTs, much like the sisters I painted up. The idea in fluff for my army is its not so much a BT army, but an army controlled by a high inquisitor. There is mainly BT, with elements of sisters, greyknights, and IG. I'm really wanting to grab a death korps of krieg stormblade, but I have enough on my plate at the moment.

That's not really fluffy, Grey Knights are too few and too valuable to be permanently attatched to much of anything, even the Ordo Malleus doesn't technically have any authority over the Grey Knights. At the best an Inquisitor can ask really nicely and hope the Grey Knights deem the situation dire enough to despatch a handfull of knights.

You'd be better off saying it's a Crusade Army.

That's not really fluffy, Grey Knights are too few and too valuable to be permanently attatched to much of anything, even the Ordo Malleus doesn't technically have any authority over the Grey Knights. At the best an Inquisitor can ask really nicely and hope the Grey Knights deem the situation dire enough to despatch a handfull of knights.

You'd be better off saying it's a Crusade Army.

Its like a navy battle group in real life. While there is mainly navy (BT), there are plenty of marine (sisters) and airforce (DH). Just an example. I really don't see a reason Grey knights would leave an army if they're in constant battle. If they were sitting around in fluff, sure, they would move on, but such is not the case. I'm not a know-it-all of fluff in any stretch of the imagination, but I don't need to be to have a concept I like for my army =p.

I think it all looks awesome, and forget the nay sayers.

It's perfectly reasonable that there could be an Inquisitor or an Inquisitor High Conclave that deem it necessary for all these forces to be involved at the same time. As long as the situation warranted, I see no reason for it not to be this way.

As for the coloring and such, perhaps the Templars have heaped honors upon the GK, in thanks for their service, and the sisters could have repainted their armor as part of taking on a vow, such as: We shall fly the colors of our brothers, to bring the punishment of the Emperor to His enemies as a single force of righteous fury. Our vestments shall not return to the traditions of our Order before we lay waste to every one of His enemies, great or small, heretic or daemon, xenos or traitor.

...or something. I just woke up, and I'm getting carried away.

<3 the painting

Bit disappointed to see you fielding your BT as regular SM though ;(

I'm sorry to disappoint really. I like BT story a lot, I know a lot of others do too. However, they play like my old old Korne army, I don't want to be forced to play an assault army. I like having options open. If I play normal marines, I can play both shooty and assault by mixing a few new units in. If I play BT, I need another army to play shooty.

I think it all looks awesome, and forget the nay sayers.

It's perfectly reasonable that there could be an Inquisitor or an Inquisitor High Conclave that deem it necessary for all these forces to be involved at the same time. As long as the situation warranted, I see no reason for it not to be this way.

As for the coloring and such, perhaps the Templars have heaped honors upon the GK, in thanks for their service, and the sisters could have repainted their armor as part of taking on a vow, such as: We shall fly the colors of our brothers, to bring the punishment of the Emperor to His enemies as a single force of righteous fury. Our vestments shall not return to the traditions of our Order before we lay waste to every one of His enemies, great or small, heretic or daemon, xenos or traitor.

...or something. I just woke up, and I'm getting carried away.

I like the story =). I was thinking something along those lines anyway. I'll never write anything down or have an official fluff, but I like having an idea of what personality my army has. The interesting thing is were I play is one of the few places I have seen where space marines are out numbered hardcore. Come to think of there, there are only two of us. (Nerdcore alert)I look at my gaming club as a sector in space, with other clubs being in the same universe. With the crazy amount of alien and daemon flith t hat need to be put down, it makes sense for an inquisitor to requisition any and all means to deal with the threat.

Its like a navy battle group in real life. While there is mainly navy (BT), there are plenty of marine (sisters) and airforce (DH). Just an example. I really don't see a reason Grey knights would leave an army if they're in constant battle. If they were sitting around in fluff, sure, they would move on, but such is not the case. I'm not a know-it-all of fluff in any stretch of the imagination, but I don't need to be to have a concept I like for my army =p.

Grey Knights don't fight wars like other Imperial forces though, they aren't attatched to battle groups and they don't join in campaigns usually, they are a rapid response force, always on the move from one warzone to another, dropping into battle to slay a sorcerer, close a warp gate, or smash up some big nasty daemons and then are off once more leaving other Imperial Agencies to clean up the mess.

It's all good to have your own theme and background, but it's a shame when that background doesn't fit the fluff, if your going to put time and effort into the backstory of your force there's no reason not to do the fluff justice and make it fit appropriately.

Course you can do whatever you like in the end, I'm not just nay saying. The army looks fantastic, but if you want it to be fluffy there are many ways of doing so that work just fine without having to change much.

For instance instead of saying both groups are permanently attatched which just... doesn't happen with Imperial forces, the only such example I can think of is particularly valued Deathwatch members may be permanently seconded but that is very rare. Instead you can say it's a Crusade army made up of mainly the Black Templars, with a small contingent of Grey Knights participating to hunt down a powerfull Daemon Prince and using the presence of the Black Templars as camoflauge. Remember Grey Knights are a top secret organization, few actually know they exist. Repainting their armor in the Black Templars colors could be an interresting way of making their presence more difficult to detect.

Also remember that Grey Knights do not fight for accolades or honor, in fact none outside the Chapter will usually ever know what they accomplished or the achievements of their heroes. They are the unsung heroes of the Imperium.

Now as for the Sisters there are many minor Orders, there's no reason your sisters can't be say the order of the Black Cross or something, with a battle group working alongside the Templars.

Ever since the Horus Heresy "combined-arms" forces have not really been allowed, every arm of the Imperial military is seperate so that one man (not even an Inquisitor) can easily command too large a force without reprocussions, but groups can fight alongside each other for extended Crusades and Campaigns and there are other ways to make the background work. By all means come up with something interresting for your army but there's no reason you can't do so AND make it fit with the background, it's not too difficult after all, particularly with the knowledge and resources this forum has to offer?

I knew you weren't nay saying, nit picking maybe. =p

As far as people allying up, look at Armageddon, -everything- was allied up, so... whats to say 3 Grey knights cant run around with an army of BT? I can't make Grey Knights so secret in my own head, after all, GW made them a playable army. Even more so, if they were all that rare and so apt to NOT ally, why do they have the rules allowing them to? The codex gives some mumbo jumbo about the ease of starting an inquisitor army. Marketing > fluff. In any case, while I like the fluff a good bit, it takes a back seat to how my army -looks- while being effective on the table. That said, I like Grey knights because they're great models, and I think they look neat in my army =p.

In the end, the fluff doesnt make it for me; getting models painted and playing them does.

Allying and permanently attatched are two very different things though. Grey Knights will fight alongside other Imperial forces from time to time and large Imperial Campaigns can fall under a 'symbolic' leader, but he doesn't actually have direct command over the other organisations. They work together out of respect, nothing more, permanent alliances and permament attatchments/secondments are rare in the extreme.

As I said above though with next to no effort you can come up with a fluffy and suitable background, it's not rocket science, maybe the tabletop aspect is more important to you but this forum is a great resource for getting fluff help, why not take the time to make your army fluff as well as awesome looking? You've put so much time and attention into the models it's a disservice not to do the same with their fluff.

Archived