Doom Eagles

McNs

Howdy:

Thought I'd post a query here on some info on the Doom Eagles chapter. Don't worry, I've already searched this board, done google searches, checked Warseer/The Black Library, etc. I've got a fair bit of fluff, but I was wondering if some of you kind folks could fill in the holes for me. Here's what I know thus far:

Doom Eagles:

- Primogenitor Chapter (per Codex: Ultramines [2nd ed Marine Codex])

- Homeworld: Gathus II (per Librarium Online)

- Fortress Monestary: Ghostmount (per Librarium Online)

Campaigns

- 13th Black Crusade - 5 companies (per Codex: Eye of Terror)

- Librarium lists 3 additional campaigns, sans references (Kallern, Kript, Merron)

Combat Philosophy

- Almost always depicted as Assualt Marines

- Jump-pack colors have changed over time (Black in Codex: Ultramines, Red/Black in 3rd ed Codex: Space Marines/Codex: Eye of Terror, and Silver in 4th ed Codex: Space Marines).

- Sometimes depicted holding plasma pistole (relevance)

Notes:

I'm aware from several Inferno! magazine reviews that the Doom Eagles "already believe they're dead", assumably from "On Mournful Wings". I can't find a copy of that Inferno!; could someone give me an abridged review of it?

Doom Eagle references:

Codex: Ultramarines - Paint scheme; blurb about them being a Primogenitor chapter

Codex: Space Marines (3rd Ed) - Paint scheme

Codex: Eye of Terror - Paint scheme; mention of 5 companies in the campaign

Codex: Space Marines (4th Ed) - Paint scheme

Let the Galaxy Burn - Pestilence by Dan Abnett - Mention of Apothecary Valis; corrupted to Chaos

What Price Victory - ? (per Librarium)

Crucible of War - ? (per Librarium)

Inferno! #32 - On Mornful Wings by Si Spurrier

Imperial Armor II - Paint Scheme

Did I miss anything? Could someone please help me fill in the gaps.

Thanks!

- McNs

Insignium Astartes classifies them as a Codex Chapter, and states that the marines company is denoted by both the colour of the right kneepad and the number it bears (which the Eavy Metal artist doing the squad for the codex apparently didnt read, since he has a 2 on a red pad)

The Doom Eagles, are an awesome chapter, very intriguing in many ways to me. They seem to view there outlook on life as they have already died, if I'm correct. This is an awesome bit that just adds so much sizzle and flavor to the mix. Unfortunately for your question, I know little to none of official info. on them. I do know for a fact, that 'On Mournful Wings' is a very beneficial source of fluff, for the chapter.

Their outlook on life (being dead already when inducted in the chapter) is very much like that of Samurai; they too see themselves as dead already, so they have no need to fear it and can concentrate on their duties.

I thought the story of the apothecary going chaos was an awesome read, even though it didn't reveal too much about the Doom Eagles as a chapter. The whole setting of the Biologus Adept seeking out the sole survivor of that engagement in an isolated sanatorium is awesomely evocative...

Thanks for the replies guys!

I hope to have a few WIPs of a Chaplain and an Assualt up soon (thanks for the tip, Vodunius).

Quick question: Is "On Mornful Wings" the story in "What Price Victory"?

- McNs

There was a comic featuring the Doom Eagles in the Graphic Novel Flames of Damnation. The story was called "Last Stand Of Yayor". It featured the Captain of the 3rd Company, Comnenus, who ended up getting mortally wounded from an axe blow to the back of his head very near to the end of the story, but as he fell upon the ground and could not stand and continue, he killed all the Death Guard and Zombies that surrounded him. The last lines of him(and the last you see of him in the comic) are ""Yes! Come Chaos Fillth, Come Find Out How a Doom Eagle Faces His Death!" The story was of him and his team(25 Marines) tried to blockade a spot on a planet named Yayor from warriors from the Black Crusade that were spewing out. After an unexpected Trojan Horse style of warfare, their temporary stronghold is breached by warriors of Nurgle and the Lost And The Damned, and they are nearly killed to a man, untill a Confessor(of the stronghold) that was given the launch codes, had the Orbiting Strike Cruiser condemn the planet to Exterminatus Extremis in order to severely cripple spots of advantage of enemy. It ends with the warriors of Chaos believing they are triumphant, and then they are vaporised from the surface instantly as the missiles hit. The Doom Eagles had won, but Comnenus and his group were dead, the Strike Cruiser(No name was given) still lived. It ends by saying "Just one small, insignificant world. But, in this war, as the Eye of Terror blinks open and the forces of Chaos ravage the worlds of the Imperium, the fate of Yayor may yet detrmine the fate of billions..."

Hope it helps in anyway possible. :rolleyes:

Edited by mega_marines

• 2 weeks later...

I had that inferno.

As i recall it was about a guy who was going thru tests to see if he could be a Doom Eagle.

It was basiclly him running a race/obstical course against his other tribesmen. Most of them dying off along the way, with an underlying theme that the winner of the test dies.

I had that inferno.

As i recall it was about a guy who was going thru tests to see if he could be a Doom Eagle.

It was basiclly him running a race/obstical course against his other tribesmen. Most of them dying off along the way, with an underlying theme that the winner of the test dies.

Which one are you speaking of?